User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Famous square nose???

I acquired this ski about a year ago from the name on the bottom of the ski. He got it from someone that said it was a famous ski and it needed to find it's home.

Well I decided that I would start building it along with help from him. It had waterlogged foam, gelcoat on the bottom and it was chipped and the bottom needed to be redone.

I've been working on it for almost a year now and pretty happy with the hull work that I did. Especially since it's one big learning experience. Figured I would share this on here instead of fukbook.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Re: Famous square nose???

First thing I did was cut open the tray and start removing the foam. I struggled with this. Getting the tray open and put was easy. The foam was terrible. I used the multi tool and that worked ok for big chunks but noisier then heck. I then used the pressure washer with the straight nozzle and I got a good bath of foam. At work we have a nozzle that spins and it'll actually cut through hydraulic lines. I then finished it off with a wire wheel on the drill and that worked the best. I never thought it would of worked as well as it did.

For the bottom it took alot of hours and alot of razor blades. I used north woods strip it and that helped alot. After all the scraping I put marine Tex on the bottom for all the gouges. Since the bottom was very rough I ended up putting marine Tex on the entire bottom. I then used sand paper on PVC to try and true the bottom.

I ended up taking the hull to my work and use our giant paint booth. I asked a coworker if he wanted to paint it for me and he was thrilled to do so and said he wanted to do more hulls. For the primer I used some military epoxy primer and then just some white marine cat paint.

It sure is crazy just looking at the pictures it doesn't do justice with how much labor is put into this stuff.

Frequent Poster

good work, im interested in the hulls history for sure! good luck

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fox river pwc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CA550sx123 View Post
    good work, im interested in the hulls history for sure! good luck
    I know the guy who knows, LOLOLOL.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Yeah, I'm an @sshole, but I'm not a complete @sshole.

http://badgerlandjetpilots.com/

I don't come here to make enemies - only to identify them...

Blog Entries

image.jpeg

This picture was taken literally the last time that me, or anyone since, rode on this hull...August of 2007, prairie du chien WI on the Mississippi river. I was in the hospital the next day. No joke. Missed 3 days of work after the weekend. Horrible flu, but I had to race. It was the final weekend of GLW racing, and I was in the running to win the Open Vintage season championship. We had 16 racers in the class that year, with 10-12 regularly on the line for every moto. I was the old guy and "rookie". I needed to podium both days to secure the championship.

Got there Friday night, 3.5 hours from home. ONLY race that whole year where I didn't bring my back up ski. Ski and cot in the back of my dad's F150. During Friday night practice I tore out the plastic pump shoe. No spares, so I was f'd. Went to tractor supply and got some parts to at least attach my intake grate to the ride plate...but most of the pump shoe was gone.

Saturday morning I get to test it out. From a standing start it would cavitate horribly. Once above about 5-7mph, the pump would hook up well enough to ride, but my normal standard of being in the top 3 for every holeshot all year was not going to happen, LOL.

11 or 12 racers on the line Saturday. 2 moto format. Moto 1, band snaps, and everyone is gone. Everyone, as I gradually get rolling from dead last. Then I start passing people, 2 or 3 each lap. When the white flag waves, I'm up to 3rd, with 2nd and 1st well ahead, so I relax and settle for 3rd.

Go back to the truck and sleep. I'm feeling like absolute sh1t.

Moto 2 on Saturday. Band snaps and I'm dead last again. Now I'm angry and determined. Pushed harder, took more chances, held it pinned when I normally would have relaxed for a moment. Passed my way up to 2nd by the half way point in the moto, got up behind the leader, but didn't have enough left to risk a move on him, so I took 2nd.

My 3, 2 score got me 2nd for Saturday. Meant that I basically just needed to show up Sunday and not DNF, to win the championship.

Now it starts raining. A lot. I go to sleep in the truck. Slept almost 14 hours. Water level goes up 5 feet overnight. Crazy. Half the racers went home. Just 5 guys in Open Vintage on Sunday, so I'm set to win the overall, but I'm not done. Because of the weather, they decided to do a single extra long moto for each class. I drew the pole position for Sunday, but I still don't have a pump shoe, LOL. Band snaps, everyone is gone again, but I hook up well enough and literally pull right up next to the racer next to me (who got the 2nd overall for the season) just as we get to the first buoy, and he leaves me room, per the rules, so now I'm dead nutz next to him, on the inside. It's 4 left hand buoys as we circle around for the holeshot, and the last buoy is 20 feet from a brick wall overlooking the river. This wall is 20 feet above the water, and you surely don't want to run into it. As we approach that last left, literally inches apart, side by side, I decide to be the aggressive ahole, so I purposely go wide and push him towards the wall just until I hear him let off the gas, then I finish turning and pull the holeshot. Side note = this racer was very skilled and we had plenty of side by side battles all year...he'd have bullied me just the same, if we were reversed, and he complimented me afterwards. I never endangered him...I just forced him to choose between hitting a huge brick wall or settling for 2nd after the holeshot, lol. So anyhow, now I have clean water ahead of me, a long moto, and I'm exhausted...but I ignored the exhaustion and just went. I wound up lapping the 5th, 4th, and 3rd place racers, and won the mega-moto by about 4 or 5 buoys over 2nd place.

Mission accomplished.

I had already bought the replacement hull for my Open Vintage race ski in July of 2007. So after I was well again, this 92 hull got completely stripped down, as the entire driveline and handlepole went into my next hull, and this stripped, 92 got stuck up on a shelf in my storage garage. I had subjected it to a long and difficult life, lol.

The rest of this hull's story, after I retired it, is actually interesting

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

Fun side note is Joe B was the 3rd place rider in that Sunday mega moto. Joe and I are the same age, and he raced stand ups in CA in the 90s, but then switched to runabouts probably around 2000, but he would dust off his 92 750sx once a year and line up in Open Vintage just for fun. With just 5 on the line Sunday, he knew he had a legit shot at the podium...and then he did podium, but at the awards presentation he grabbed the mic and said something about how it still sucked cuz I lapped him, LOLOLOL. Good times

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

Best part about me ripping out that pump shoe during practice on Friday night in August of 2007, was it was one of the only times I ever practiced racing. I used to rec ride this ski a lot, but almost never practiced buoys. I spent too much time building skis for myself and others to then also practice. In fact, this was back when I still had my 820cc team scream stroker in my FX1, which I rode way more than any of my SNs. My normal pattern on a Friday night before a race was to go out on the fox river at home, jumping wakeboat wakes on my FX1 until sunset, then load up all my race stuff, then run to the airport to buy avgas, then head to the race site that night or early the next morning. I just never took racing as seriously as most people probably assumed/believed/whatever. I just did it for fun, for as long as it remained fun. Yeah, I tried my best when the band snapped, but it's not like I spent crazy money on anything to be there.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

I should add that the title of this thread should have the word "famous" in quotations, because this SN hull is anything but famous, LOL....but Tommy does know the story of how a certain individual deemed it to be "famous" and then ultimately went on a multi-year quest to find the "famous" racer, LOL, who owned/raced it, and then return this SN to its original owner who never really wanted it back, ever, in the first place.......
    But this individual was correct in the belief that once this hull got back "home", that it's caretaker owner would come up with a way to do the right things to get it back on the water again. So here we are.

Sometimes sh1t happens for a reason, and at least I didn't have to store this thing for about 11 years, lol.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by fox river pwc View Post
    I should add that the title of this thread should have the word "famous" in quotations, because this SN hull is anything but famous, LOL....but Tommy does know the story of how a certain individual deemed it to be "famous" and then ultimately went on a multi-year quest to find the "famous" racer, LOL, who owned/raced it, and then return this SN to its original owner who never really wanted it back, ever, in the first place.......
    But this individual was correct in the belief that once this hull got back "home", that it's caretaker owner would come up with a way to do the right things to get it back on the water again. So here we are.

Sometimes sh1t happens for a reason, and at least I didn't have to store this thing for about 11 years, lol.
    epic

Thread Information