Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fox river pwc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Make Buying NGK Spark Plugs Easy & Enjoyable

Time for more fun.
    I realize I'm not the only person who buys their NGK spark plugs from auto parts stores like Advance or Auto Zone.

And I'm sure there are dozens of fun anecdotes that many of us have had with the wonderful counter people we encounter (pun intended) at these stores. Please feel free to share them in this thread, as we can always use a few more laughs. I've had my share, many rooted around me asking for a "box of 10" whatever NGKs, and the counter person looking out the front window at my XJ Jeep Cherokee in the lot and laughing about it not having 10 cylinders....you get the idea. I even have one local guy, who clearly has a poor memory, because on several occasions, as I'm buying 20-30 plugs will ask me something that sounds like "Duh?", so I briefly explain that I build/modify/repair stand up jet skis (for 3 decades) - and then he (and he's done this at least 3x times now) goes on about some jet ski rental company I've never even heard of, that swears by Champion plugs. I've tried to politely remind him that I'm not dealing with stock sit down rental skis, but he has decided that part of his job is to make sure customers know that he knows more than the customers do, LOL, so I just let him talk a bit...…

Anyhow, I learned long ago that asking for something like "BR8ES plugs" or "BR8ES solid tip plugs" tends to elicit rather painful and fruitless conversations about spark plug details with people who often don't understand spark plug details or just want to add less than valuable input into a simple request for spark plugs.

What I have learned is that simply requesting the plugs you want via the 4-digit NGK stock number makes buying spark plugs as easy and enjoyable as possible. Just walk up to the counter and say, "I'd like a box of 10 of NGK spark plug number 3194", and you tend to get just a momentary blank stare from the counter person (because you've just circumvented their entire "Year, make, model?" training process), but they usually just get right to grabbing exactly what you need as requested at that point - and you're on your way painlessly and quickly.

For my own personal/hobby-biz use, I stock 3 different plugs, BR8HS, BR8ES, and BR9ES - and I try to only stock them in the SOLID tip versions, so I'm not having to Loctite the threaded adapters on them, but I take the threaded ones when they are out of the solid tips.

Here is my list of NGK stock numbers I've memorized:

BR8HS solid = 6715
    BR8HS threaded = 4322
    BR8ES solid = 3961
    BR8ES threaded = 5422
    BR9ES solid = 3194
    BR9ES threaded = 5722

So if you haven't already memorized or recorded the NGK stock numbers of your spark plugs of choice, I highly recommend that you do
    Last edited by fox river pwc; 03-18-2022 at 11:00 AM.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Yeah, I'm an @sshole, but I'm not a complete @sshole.

http://badgerlandjetpilots.com/

I don't come here to make enemies - only to identify them...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: Make Buying NGK Spark Plugs Easy & Enjoyable

Some good info there.

Another tip,.......If you are having a bit of trouble with fouling cause you run your oil a bit rich, move to an iridium plug. I use the Autolite XS4164. Same set been in my 650sx and my son's XP for 4 seasons now!
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Blog Entries

Lololol.
    Maybe I need to author a "which 2-stroke oil is best" thread

Screenshot_20220925-200821_Samsung Internet.jpg

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    Blog Entries

Have you played with different plugs? Tim from TnT performance (makes the blaster pipe) has a bunch of info on different plug types here:

https://www.x-h2o.com/threads/spark-...rcraft.176504/

Also I will be ordering by 4-digit number from now on. thank you for the tip!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

A bit more advice pretty much all older Kawasakis came with spark plugs one heat range too cold, that is across the board, when I worked at the dealership we changed out the plugs to a heat range hotter before it left the dealership, if your ski came with BR8ES run BR7ES you will be much happier, same applies to Seadoo RFI skis BR8ES plugs will foul readily even though it's fuel injected BR7ES plugs will yeild much better results.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 09-26-2022 at 08:33 AM.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
    Have you played with different plugs? Tim from TnT performance (makes the blaster pipe) has a bunch of info on different plug types here:

I did play some years ago. I probably should again, I'm probably too comfy in my current state of minimal mechanical drama, lol.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
    A bit more advice pretty much all older Kawasakis came with spark plugs one heat range too cold, that is across the board, when I worked at the dealership we changed out the plugs to a heat range hotter before it left the dealership, if your ski came with BR8ES run BR7ES you will be much happier, same applies to Seadoo RFI skis BR8ES plugs will foul readily even though it's fuel injected BR7ES plugs will yeild much better results.
    Interesting. I can certainly see where excess idling needs to be considered. Been thinking about going a step hotter in my Whaler Rage, as it idles more than any ski I've ever ridden - lots of low speed tours and sight seeing.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quinc View Post

Just remembered, way back in the 90s I used to modify plugs per a trick I got from a motorcycle drag racer I worked with way back in my motorcycle mechanic days, but I'm sworn to secrecy on the details
    I will say it helped to get my 1982 GS1100E into the high 10s without a wheelie bar - while I was still in my teens.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

There certainly is a lot more science that goes into spark plugs than even I normally consider, and Tim explains it very well. I need to start caring more about spark plugs...really should up my spark game , seriously, as it is easy to leave some cheap performance advantages on the table.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

uSE e3 plugs they is the bestest.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Thread Information