Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fox river pwc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rock You Like A Hurricane..........Apex

Just completed a 700 mile round trip today to finally do what so many people have been telling me to do for years, lol.....stop building/collecting Super Jets and get a freakin aftermarket hull.

It's not that I have anything against aftermarket hulls. I just still really enjoy my stash of modded SNs, and most of the aftermarket hulls just don't quite do it for me. I do like the Rickter Edge, and Watercraft Factory Vision, and I rode a Superfreak Badazz I liked....but you know how it is with finding the right deal sometimes, and fortunately I'm patient...probably because I do have skis to ride that I truly enjoy. As this Apex is pretty rare from what I understand, I've never ridden one, but the specs on it have me very enthusiastic that I will enjoy it. I'm actually thinking I may enjoy it more than the Edge, but we shall see...

So here it is, a 2018 Hurricane Apex. No motor/pump...just what you see here = hull, hood, handlepole.

I already have basically everything I need to build it, but first I have to evaluate it and then decide which motor & pump from my stupid hoard will go in it. This hull has literally been sitting doing nothing for going on 2 years, I guess, so it's time to make it a ski again. I have a lot of other projects lined up right now that I've promised to people, but my hope is to have this Apex done for me in time for Jet Blast 2022, coming up immediately after Memorial Day, as always.

Part of why I retired from running Jet Blast after 10 years, and building a raffle ski each year, was so I'd have time to build something like this for me. Gotta fulfill the promise I made to myself too.

20220226_124242.jpg20220226_124248.jpg20220226_124256.jpg20220226_190537.jpg

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Yeah, I'm an @sshole, but I'm not a complete @sshole.

http://badgerlandjetpilots.com/

I don't come here to make enemies - only to identify them...

Blog Entries

Re: Rock You Like A Hurricane..........Apex

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Frequent Poster

hull definitely gives me Yamaha vibes, looks cool

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

My riding skill level is about the level of a stock SN hull, with a clapped out 6m6 in it and a stock handlepole with no spring on it,why I continue to buld some of these contraptions is beyond me reasoning.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CA550sx123 View Post
    hull definitely gives me Yamaha vibes, looks cool
    Yup, thanks...it should basically be a more playful SJ with a way better tray.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
    My riding skill level is about the level of a stock SN hull, with a clapped out 6m6 in it and a stock handlepole with no spring on it,why I continue to buld some of these contraptions is beyond me reasoning.
    Yeah, my ability to afford and build cool sh1t surpassed my ability to ride it correctly a few years or maybe decades ago

And the reasoning thing, yeah, mine is off balance as well. However, I'm confident I will like this hull, but I'm even more confident that I can sell it to a younger person as a complete running non-cobbled ski if it turns out that I don't decide to keep it....that is, if my grandson doesn't demand that I give it to him.
    Last edited by fox river pwc; 02-27-2022 at 09:53 AM.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

Too cold to dig into this now, and my heated home shop garage is for parking vehicles + the one ski at a time I work on all winter, which is an fx1 at the moment, so I will dig into this Apex in the 2nd half of March most likely. Already thinking about vent tubes, lol. Hope the SJs and the Apex get along together.

20220227_115255.jpg20220227_115247.jpg20220227_115331.jpg20220227_115429.jpg20220227_115452.jpg

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

Finally getting around to starting on the Apex.
    Too much going on right now with road vehicles and other stuff...

Still haven't settled on what motor I'm going to use or build for this ski. Leaning towards something a bit tame...like a 200psi full 62t with stock porting, msd, aluminum flywheel, b-pipe...but we shall see.

I'm not even 100% sure on what pump yet. I have several nice 144 SJs pumps in my spares piles, and a nice 155 B2 pump and impeller from a 760 Rickter setup...that would be nice. But for now I will build this 144. It's a stocker I blueprinted years ago and already set up for dual cooling. I'm going to swap out the driveshaft for a SNL shaft I've had in my spares for a bit. I have a good supply of brand new pump bearings, so it will get those too. Will also use an old pro-tec (2 or 3mm overbore) reduction nozzle with Ocean Pro steering nozzle...yep, no trim. Had this nozzle setup on a few of my skis over the past 25 years or so. Works well and is very fun. I can see the aluminum pump shoe in the Apex has been opened up a bit, so I need to measure. I do have a spare brand new JD 144 pump shoe in my stash as well...been sitting on it for 20 years, so I may install it, if needed. Impeller is up in the air too right now. Would like to find a 10/16 hooker, possibly, but I have others worth trying too.

Anyhow, getting this pump set up needs to be done anyhow. So I will get the pump done and then start evaluating the alignment process. Should be fun.

20220329_123337.jpg

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

Almost forgot...that's an R&D Pro-series scoop grate. My favorite SJ grate from years of trying everything. My last spare...really only had spares due to swapping both of my Sleeperjets over to Shredmaster setups...love the Shredmasters too, partly because they save the hassle and cost of having to install an aluminum pump shoe. (Side note: A really good/aggressive scoop grate, combined with a really strong motor and/or a rider who can ride, lol, will rip apart a stock plastic pump shoe in no time flat. Just sayin'.)

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information