» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fox river pwc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Project FX1 for 2022

All set

A few comments.

Blowsion lists these Destroyers as for the 08+ SJ and the FX1 hulls.
    Clearly, they were designed for the 08+ SJ. If I had to bet, after designing and making them, someone held them up to an FX1 and said, "Yeah, these will work."
    Yeah, they "fit", but they don't fit nearly as well as the many sets of Destroyers I've installed on 90-07 SJ hulls. Beggars and FX1 owners can't be choosers...lol.

Because the fitment is a bit marginal, plan on grinding. The left side one required a fair amount taken off the upper lip just to get it to fit all the way up under the bond flange.

Plan on using a solid half tube of silicone sealant under each tubbie - so a full tube for the pair, as they simply are not going to pull flat to the hull, so you definitely want to fill in the gap fully between the tubbie and the hull. 3m 5200 would be nicer, but overkill, and working with 5200 completely sucks, so I only use it when the need is much greater.

20220122_174649.jpg20220122_174655.jpg20220122_174700.jpg20220122_174708.jpg

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Yeah, I'm an @sshole, but I'm not a complete @sshole.

http://badgerlandjetpilots.com/

I don't come here to make enemies - only to identify them...

Blog Entries

Tubbie install secrets.

I probably should have taken more pictures today, so I could fully explain all the secrets to doing these installs properly and efficiently, but the truth is I was too busy and too focused...and when I get my garage heated up to do this crap in winter, I just want to get it done....and I had to stop part way through this install to true some 45 year old motorcycle wheels for a buddy...taught myself that crap when I was 12 or 13.

So anyhow, there are a few secrets I will partially share

1) Pairs of tubbies are not identical mirror images of each other, so if you measure thinking they are identical, as you attempt to get them identically placed on both sides, you will struggle/fail.
    2) Be prepared to grind/shape.
    3) Have your M8 tap handy. You're going to need it.
    4) The height at the front is most critical, as that is the most noticeable when they're not even and identically placed. Drill your front hole first, set it with a bolt/nut temporarily snug to the hull, then position and drill the middle hole, snug it temporarily, then move to the rear hole, etc...
    5) After you get all the holes drilled and the special bushings epoxied in place, always attempt a dry fitment. I can pretty much guarantee you're going to need to use your tap to chase out some holes....oh and have a rat tail file handy, as you'll probably need to egg out 1 or 2 of the holes.
    6) Drilling the middle hole first, to close the gap between the tubbie and the hull is a mistake...because doing so means the you are highly unlikely to get the front height and placement of both tubbies identical.
    7) Coming up with a way to establish reference points on the tubbies and the hull are critical. Be creative. Visualize. Have a sharpie marker.

Overall I'm very happy with how this tubbie install went, but my experience with other SJ installs was key.
    I really do hate installing tubbies, lol. But I hate doing sh1t like this halfazzed and inefficiently, so I bear down, put my mind to it and just get it done.

Time for dinner and taking Ruby for a walk. She's pissed that I ignored her all day.

20211208_074637.jpg
    Last edited by fox river pwc; 01-22-2022 at 07:38 PM.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

What did you use for the tubbie hardware?

Sean

The older I get, the more I find myself fixing things that I knew I was doing correctly at the time.

1987 Kawasaki JankyStandup Build
    2004 Kawi-Doo STX-RXT-X Build
    2001 Toyota Tundra Basketcase Build

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    What did you use for the tubbie hardware?

Sean
    The stuff that Blowsion includes when they sell them.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

Another aftermarket part that "fits" the FX1
    Had to cut a bit off each side and even a bit off the rearward side.
    Interesting that the bolt holes don't line up with the holes in the hull or pole bracket, so they need to be ovaled out a bit.
    Nice place for the logo

20220123_095237.jpg20220123_095321.jpg20220123_095326.jpg20220123_103647.jpg20220123_103651.jpg

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

Steering system install.
    Throw the instructions in the trash, lol.
    They tell you to literally use this beautiful mounting plate as a template while drilling the holes. Sure, that "works", but why chance effing it up?

Clean up the old pole surfaces.
    Set the mounting plate in place and get it centered via your eyeballs...it really isn't difficult.
    Then mark the 4 hole centers with a sharpie.
    Lift the mounting plate out of your way.
    Center punch the sharpie markings.

Now here is the trick. Do NOT immediately drill with the 1/4 inch bit for the final hole size. Drill it with a 1/8 inch bit.
    Then set the mounting plate back in place and gauge how well centered all 4 smaller holes are. This allows you to make the correction as you drill the final hole size of 1/4 inch. In this case, 3 of the 4 holes needed to move ever so slightly away from the center of the assembly. So, I simply angled the 1/4 inch bit in the direction I wanted the hole to go as I started drilling, then stood it up straight. Easy peasy, and all 4 holes wound up exactly where they needed to be = all 4 Allen bolts dropped into place with zero struggle.

20220123_105018.jpg20220123_105154.jpg20220123_105438.jpg20220123_105514.jpg

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

These systems are pretty.

20220123_110813.jpg

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

When you find your secondary HIN tag meandering around the hull, epoxy it back in place

20220123_110945.jpg20220123_111005.jpg

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

This OEM impeller has seen better days.
    At least the pump is nice. Aiming to blueprint it over the next few days. Waiting for the OP nozzle I'm modding to fit it as well.

20220126_172200.jpg20220126_172214.jpg20220126_172220.jpg20220126_172230.jpg

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

So the plan here is to do a simple/crude blueprinting of the 122mm pump. Basically just knocking down and smoothing out the casting ridges.

With my own fx1 many years ago, my pump mods were the same blueprinting, adding the OP nozzle (modified the SJ version to fit, as no FX1 version was made), add a steep stainless impeller (I can't recall which I ran, solas or skat, but 20/26 seems to stick in my memory), R&D pro series scoop grate (stuck down about 3/4 inch), riva groovy ride plate. With this set up, steering was greatly tightened up and precise (also ran UMI with short turnplate) and hook up was very excellent, to the point where even running buoys was enjoyable...but for chasing boats and popping off wakes, it was excellent. The only thing it still sucked at was riding in jet wash, so running buoys behind anyone else...yeah, not fun, lol, but that wasn't what I used my fx1 for. Back when I was racing in Open Vintage on my race SN I would go out on friday afternoon jumping boat wakes on my fx1 and then race my motos on Saturday and Sunday on my SN....my fx1 made riding my SN seem rather easy.

The pump setup with this current FX1 will be very similar to mine other than the ride plate and intake grate. We will see, but if needed I may shim down the grate a bit.

Before pictures:
    20220127_084845.jpg20220127_084853.jpg

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information