• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DamageInc
    Resident Guru
    • Apr 2014

Seadoo motor swap question

I have a 95 spx hull, which I believe came with the 657.

Can I drop a 717 from a 95 xp in it? Buddy's got a donor ski up north, and if poss, if like to swap it in.
    Any info on pros, cons, drive shaft lengthening or shortening, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

I also have a 96 xp 787 w/ spec 2, Novi's, etc, that I'd like to have my grey box tested as well, so if there's someone on here that provides this service, that'd be awesome.

Thanks for any advice.
  • Cliff
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Jun 2011

Re: Seadoo motor swap question

I don’t know the answer(s) to the engine swap. But I believe Minnetonka4me or 99SPXXX might perform the MPEM service. You can message them with any details.

Comment

• Myself
      • Jun 2006

Yes, the 717 will swap right in, no issues. Same exhaust arrangement, same motor mount locations, same driveshaft length.
      http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
      +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
      ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
      light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Comment

• DamageInc
        Resident Guru
        • Apr 2014

Nice.
        Thanks so much.

Comment

• WFO Speedracer
          • Aug 2006

There is some difference on the engine bedplate but if you have the plate for the 717 it drops right in, you will also need to swap out the plastic fitting for the water outlet at the back of the hull as the 657 uses a different size hose.
          Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
          hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Comment

• DamageInc
            Resident Guru
            • Apr 2014

Noted.
            Thanks Speedracer

Comment

• hafweigthr
              Resident Guru
              • May 2009

A 95SPX should be a 657X motor like the 94 XP and you should be able to use the same MPEM as well for the 717. However, I can't remember exactly but the 657 or 657X has a different stator configuration than the 717 which may prevent that . I have done several 587 and 657/x conversions to 717s. With a 587 to 717 conversion you can't use the MPEM since the rev limiter is a different rpm.
              Will look at electrical diagrams and confirm whether the 657 or 657X is the same electrically as the 717.

And yes either way (per WFO) you will have to reconfigure hoses and inlet outlet configuration to the pump.
              Last edited by hafweigthr; 12-15-2021, 08:03 PM.
              The thought that leads to no action is not thought - It is dreaming!!
              Think Big!!

Some people have hobbies - some people have addictions - I have jet skis!!

Comment

• hafweigthr
                Resident Guru
                • May 2009

Originally posted by hafweigthr View Post
                A 95SPX should be a 657X motor like the 94 XP and you should be able to use the same MPEM as well for the 717. However, I can't remember exactly but the 657 or 657X has a different stator configuration than the 717 which may prevent that . I have done several 587 and 657/x conversions to 717s. With a 587 to 717 conversion you can't use the MPEM since the rev limiter is a different rpm.
                Will look at electrical diagrams and confirm whether the 657 or 657X is the same electrically as the 717.

And yes either way (per WFO) you will have to reconfigure hoses and inlet outlet configuration to the pump.
                After reviewing the electrical diagrams the 657X motor is the oddball and has the 5 wire stator as opposed to the 4 wire stator that is used in the 587,657, and 717 motors. The 95SPX should have the 657X motor so those electronics(as far as the magneto hookup) will only work with the 4 wire stator(I believe) so you will need to use the 717 MPEM with the motor. You will need to review the electrical diagrams between the 95SPX and the 717 donor ski to verify what is different electrically vs gauges, etc.
                The thought that leads to no action is not thought - It is dreaming!!
                Think Big!!

Some people have hobbies - some people have addictions - I have jet skis!!

Comment

• DamageInc
                  Resident Guru
                  • Apr 2014

Thanks for the info haf.
                  I'll use the electronics from the 95 xp 717. They seem to be in good condition, but need to wire in the ecwi unit for the Spec 2. If like to send the box to have everything tested so I don't run into an issue later, but haven't found anyone that can do that....

Comment

Working...
                  X