Largest PWC

Superstore

Collapse

1991 Yamaha Waverunner III 650 troubles…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fox river pwc
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Dec 2005

Re: 1991 Yamaha Waverunner III 650 troubles…

Originally posted by Colezayz View Post
    Might be needed, I’ll have to see when I take it off. Do you need to remove oil tank to take it out? Clogged waterbox would explain why it’s been slowly getting worse over time. Might just try running it with no waterbox to see if that’s any better, it’ll be loud lol
    I've disassembled about 70 WR3s, but I'm not even 100%.
    But I am sure the it's WAY easier with the oil tank removed.
    Otherwise I would bet the carb has to be removed...maybe...lol.
    sigpic

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Yeah, I'm an @sshole, but I'm not a complete @sshole.

http://badgerlandjetpilots.com/

I don't come here to make enemies - only to identify them...

Comment

• fox river pwc
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
      This is why I stopped answering questions on here, I guess I just needed a reminder, thanks for that
      You know fukkbookk is waaaaay worse.
      Count your blessings.
      sigpic

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Comment

• WFO Speedracer
        • Aug 2006

Maybe it's just me but it chaps my *** when someone comes on asking questions and then argues with those trying to help them, obviously they have no idea or they wouldn't be posting here to start with, you are right Facebook is way worse and I generally refrain from giving my input on issues such as this on Facebook. The last WRlll I had that was acting weird had a bad waterbox, it had most of the symptoms he describes , I spent hours and hours of testing and running that ski to find it, so much so that I put it in the pond at the shop and left it there instead of hauling it back and forth to the river for testing, you get the benefit of my years of experience and it cost you nothing except for a small amount of respect, do not argue with me I know of which I speak.
        Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 11-20-2021, 06:00 AM.
        Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
        hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Comment

• Myself
          • Jun 2006

Damn WFO.......you need a vacation. LOL! These busy summers will do this to a fella!
          http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
          +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
          ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
          light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Comment

• fox river pwc
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
            Maybe it's just me but it chaps my *** when someone comes on asking questions and then argues with those trying to help them, obviously they have no idea or they wouldn't be posting here to start with, you are right Facebook is way worse and I generally refrain from giving my input on issues such as this on Facebook. The last WRlll I had that was acting weird had a bad waterbox, it had most of the symptoms he describes , I spent hours and hours of testing and running that ski to find it, so much so that I put it in the pond at the shop and left it there instead of hauling it back and forth to the river for testing, you get the benefit of my years of experience and it cost you nothing except for a small amount of respect, do not argue with me I know of which I speak.
            Yes, I hate people too, but keeping some of them around is a necessary evil.
            sigpic

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Comment

• fox river pwc
              • Dec 2005

Now that I think of it, I also experienced a clogged/broken waterbox on a WR3 I was rehabbing a few years back. It had been put away for winter by the p.o. with a waterbox that was full of water, which cracked a baffle, which would bounce around and block the outlet when running. I was able to stick a paddle drill bit in through the inlet (I think) and chew up the loose piece enough to be able to yank it all out with a long needle nose. That fixed the issue, and it was just a bit throatier after that
              Last edited by fox river pwc; 11-20-2021, 09:18 AM.
              sigpic

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Comment

• Myself
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by fox river pwc View Post
                Now that I think of it, I also experienced a clogged/broken waterbox on a WR3 I was rehabbing a few years back. It had been put away for winter by the p.o. with a waterbox that was full of water, which cracked a baffle, which would bounce around and block the outlet when running. I was able to stick a paddle drill bit in through the inlet (I think) and chew up the loose piece enough to be able to yank it all out with a long needle nose. That fixed the issue, and it was just a bit throatier after that
                I have done that exact same thing before.
                http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
                +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
                ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
                light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Comment

• fox river pwc
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Myself View Post
                  I have done that exact same thing before.
                  So neither of us are "special".
                  Whew.
                  sigpic

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Comment

• WFO Speedracer
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by fox river pwc View Post
                    Yes, I hate people too, but keeping some of them around is a necessary evil.
                    Shucks I guess if I just have to !
                    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
                    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Comment

• wmazz
                      • Jul 2013

Look at your old cdi to see if it has the Pro-Tec/Dallas Baker Products
                      rev limiter mod?

Bill M.
                      Last edited by wmazz; 11-21-2021, 04:11 PM.
                      Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

Comment

• wmazz
                        • Jul 2013

Does the 650 have a fuel primer?

Did your engine ever backfire while you were trying to start it?

Did you use starting fluid? Did your engine previously overheat?

When you lean out the low screw, does the engine want to run away?

It is obvious that your engine was loaded up, and your spark
                        plugs were gas fouled (possibly JUNK). They are not new anymore.
                        Replace them.

Bill M.

Comment

• Colezayz
                          PWCToday Newbie
                          • Nov 2021

Originally posted by wmazz View Post
                          Does the 650 have a fuel primer?

Did your engine ever backfire while you were trying to start it?

Did you use starting fluid? Did your engine previously overheat?

When you lean out the low screw, does the engine want to run away?

It is obvious that your engine was loaded up, and your spark
                          plugs were gas fouled (possibly JUNK). They are not new anymore.
                          Replace them.
                          Bill M.
                          now that you mentioned it, I remember earlier it was backfiring quite a bit before I sorted out an ignition problem. It has a fuel primer, also does run away if I lean the low speed screw a little over 1/2 a turn. It did also have a pro tec CDI that I removed due to it going bad.

Comment

• wmazz
                            • Jul 2013

Your stock CDI has a really low rev-limiter of ~6500rpm. On
                            the trailer (without a load) it will hit very early. Probably within
                            1/2 to 3/4 throttle.

How it performs in the water is what counts, so here is a few
                            precautions. (1) If there is any leading edge rock damage on
                            the impeller, get it repaired (assuming it is s/s). (2) Make sure
                            the pump is sealed to the hull. They used to have a thick rubber
                            tape, or maybe use ultra silicone (perhaps someone else has a
                            better method). This is to prevent exhaust from getting sucked
                            into the pump.

Your WR3 (most likely) has a vacuum leak at the carb base gaskets
                            that is causing the engine to run away. You need 2 thick (.031" to
                            .062") gaskets on the carb base. If possible make your own. After
                            the thick gaskets readjust the throttle cable free play.

Even better, replace all your other intake gaskets with at least
                            1/32" rubberized felt, and learn the idle drop test to set your low
                            speed screw.

Replace your spark plugs.

Bill M.

If you modify your new cdi, keep in mind:

When Dallas created the rev limiter mod, initially it had no rev-limiter.
                            But with no rev-limiter, the front half of the crankshaft breaks off.
                            So needles to say, he added an adjustable rev-limiter.

The rev-limiter mod does not increase rpm or speed
                            , it just makes the
                            WaveRunners easier to ride in rough water.

The black goo was just fuel that collected inside the water box.

A water test/power tune may be needed to determine if the waterbox
                            needs to be replaced.
                            Last edited by wmazz; 11-23-2021, 03:22 AM.

Comment

• Colezayz
                              PWCToday Newbie
                              • Nov 2021

Been a while but got a chance to look at the waterbox, everything seemed fine and I didn’t hear anything rattling around in it. Rinsed it out with a hose and some unburnt fuel mixed with carbon and oil came out and that’s about it. Lost as where to go from here lol

Comment

• Colezayz
                                PWCToday Newbie
                                • Nov 2021

Originally posted by wmazz View Post
                                Your stock CDI has a really low rev-limiter of ~6500rpm. On
                                the trailer (without a load) it will hit very early. Probably within
                                1/2 to 3/4 throttle.

How it performs in the water is what counts, so here is a few
                                precautions. (1) If there is any leading edge rock damage on
                                the impeller, get it repaired (assuming it is s/s). (2) Make sure
                                the pump is sealed to the hull. They used to have a thick rubber
                                tape, or maybe use ultra silicone (perhaps someone else has a
                                better method). This is to prevent exhaust from getting sucked
                                into the pump.

Your WR3 (most likely) has a vacuum leak at the carb base gaskets
                                that is causing the engine to run away. You need 2 thick (.031" to
                                .062") gaskets on the carb base. If possible make your own. After
                                the thick gaskets readjust the throttle cable free play.

Even better, replace all your other intake gaskets with at least
                                1/32" rubberized felt, and learn the idle drop test to set your low
                                speed screw.

Replace your spark plugs.

Bill M.

If you modify your new cdi, keep in mind:

When Dallas created the rev limiter mod, initially it had no rev-limiter.
                                But with no rev-limiter, the front half of the crankshaft breaks off.
                                So needles to say, he added an adjustable rev-limiter.

The rev-limiter mod does not increase rpm or speed
                                , it just makes the
                                WaveRunners easier to ride in rough water.

The black goo was just fuel that collected inside the water box.

A water test/power tune may be needed to determine if the waterbox
                                needs to be replaced.
                                Was not having any issues with it running away, has a new carb base gasket too. I would do the idle drop test to tune the low speed screw if it ran long enough for me to do it lol

Comment

Working...
                                X