Got a free 95 Waveraider 1100 - never touched a ski before - where should I start?
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Got a free 95 Waveraider 1100 - never touched a ski before - where should I start?

Hello from Brick NJ !
    I refurb riding mowers for profit (OK, mostly beer money), I can fix anything if I have a decent manual for it... rebuilt / owned dozens of motorcycles.
    But I've never touched a jetski before.
    The only thing I know so far, is that when I grabbed the coupling between the motor and pump. I was able to turn it (slowly) by hand.
    SO... the motor and pump are not stuck? That's a good starting point for a money pit, right?
    I was thinking of pulling plugs, getting some oil in there, and trying the starter button. ( no fuel). Bad idea?
    Thanks in advance !
    Pete
    Pictures tomorrow!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: Got a free 95 Waveraider 1100 - never touched a ski before - where should I start

Great idea. I use a good blast of liquid wrench down each plug hole but any kind of oil will do. Then crank it over with plugs out and check for spark. If that's good check compression. If that's good give it a dab of premix down each cylinder and try to fire it off.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Resident Guru

Re: Got a free 95 Waveraider 1100 - never touched a ski before - where should I start

As long as you know going in that.... "A boat is just a hole in the water, you throw money into"

Not sayin that is necessarily a bad thing as long as you know goin in!!

Gettin it free is a plus!!!
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great as of July 2019 (NO THANKS to the person at SBT, who put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into the rebuilt engine I got from them)

PWCToday Newbie

Update:
    I pulled the plugs, they looked they were covered in a light oil. That's good !
    Jumped the battery, and she cranked nicely. Good !
    Sprayed a small amount of Gumout carb cleaner down all 3 holes and re-installed plugs. Hit the button.

IT LIVES !!!! EEEET LIIIIIIIVES !!!!!!!

Got ti to start, run on the old gas that was still in there... it sounded like it was OK.

Put the ad in FB marketplace. Sold in 24hrs. I'm up $500 in 7days. That's a happy ending. And a Merry Christmas to all !!!!
    Last edited by exdirtbiker; 12-01-2021 at 08:10 PM.

Resident Guru

Good for you!! You sold the "hole" to someone else so they can throw money into it!! But it is fun.
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great as of July 2019 (NO THANKS to the person at SBT, who put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into the rebuilt engine I got from them)

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exdirtbiker View Post
    Sprayed a small amount of Gumout carb cleaner down all 3 holes and re-installed plugs.!
    Just so you know, for ANY 2 stroke......that's a dry start. Next time, supplement the carb cleaner with some WD40 or Liquid wrench. That way you at least have some lube in there for fire off.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Just so you know, for ANY 2 stroke......that's a dry start. Next time, supplement the carb cleaner with some WD40 or Liquid wrench. That way you at least have some lube in there for fire off.
    I suspect you missed the part where I said "the plugs were wet with oil"... but for those playing along at home, yes, "Myself" is wise and correct. You should never start a 2 stroke without some kind of oil in the fuel... even if you have to spray WD40 and carb cleaner together.

Thread Information