Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

opinions on buying a 2001 xlt 1200

looking at buying a 2001 xlt 1200, owner said it needs a head gasket, says it was rebuilt at start of season and thinks mechanic did not torque down head bolts, was out riding and lost power, pulled seat and seen water comming out of head gasket, limped to shore and hasent touched since, my question is do u think there is major internal damage? or just get away with new gasket?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: opinions on buying a 2001 xlt 1200

If its been sitting 'ever since'.....then it might be rusted to hell and locked up.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

bin sitting for a month or so , cranks over fine, i can hear on video, its a long drive to go get it but a cheap price, i onow the pv motors can get pricey to rdbuild

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

A nice looking one......on a nice trailer.....should be worth 500-1000. Then subtract from there.....like -300 for non-working gauges.....-200 for torn up seats, etc.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

he asking 1000,he just bought brand new, it looks supriseinly good for a 01 and the trailer is a nort trail and looks equally as good

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home wmazz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tj379 View Post
    the owner said it needs a head gasket,

says it was rebuilt at start of season and thinks mechanic did not torque down head bolts,

was out riding and lost power, pulled seat and seen water coming out of head gasket, limped to shore and hasent touched since,

my question is do u think there is major internal damage?

or just get away with new gasket?
    I am suspicious of the idea that a "thinks mechanic did not torque down head bolts."

That engine had stamped metal gaskets, and they should hold their torque
    over time. Composite gaskets are thicker and tend to settle after 10 hrs or
    less and need to be re-torqued.

Head gaskets do not just fail, they fail for a reason. However The Yamaha
    has a cylinder head gasket and a water jacket gasket. If the water jacket
    gasket was leaking, there is a reason for that too. One possible reason is
    it was overheated, but that causes more problems with composite gaskets.

Each of the gaskets have the possibility of causing internal engine damage
    combined with his admission that it lost power is bad mojo.

Bill M.

IMO the chances that there is more wrong with this engine than a head gasket,
    are high.

What are the water conditions like? a river or a lake? If the water is flat, Yamaha's
    are good, but if the water can be rough, the 96' and up SeaDoo's are better in
    rough water.
    Last edited by wmazz; 10-18-2021 at 08:38 PM.
    Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

Resident Guru

Figure it needs engine work so add $1500 and your time to the price.
    What exactly does the IJSBA do?

ya iv got suspicious also, i have to take a chance n trust gye, see what happens, i e transfered him half the money, ill go pick it up later n hope for the best, as forvwater conditions its a mix, but i am new to wave runners but not yamaha, iv had yamaha sleds for 30 years, sold my trusty apex ladt year afterv13 years of bulletproof riding and boughtva 21 sidewinder, i could and would never buy a skidoo, seadoo brp product!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home SxiPro's Avatar

If it were just the head gasket due to a mechanic not torquing the head bolts down, the guy would have taken the 3 minutes to fix it himself. Run away.
    Changes aren't permanent, but change is.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Reality , those engines are ticking time bombs, power valves drop into the cylinders, oil lines come off, cat converters go out, do not think that you can get one and cheaply fix it because you have to fix all the inherent design flaws when you do it, $75-100 for a D plate and chip to replace the converter, when you do the D plate you need to rebuild the carbs and rejet to European specs there goes another $150 , oil lines need to be rerouted and secured with clips or safety wired at each place they go on a barbs , power valves need to be checked and at minimum Waveater clips or WSM-SBT closed end safety links installed another $75.00 plus gaskets and seals. The head gaskets alone are another $75.00 .I can assure you at this point the power valves need to be removed and cleaned anyway.

These engines are very unforgiving and the learning curve is steep , they are like a Swiss watch, skip a step and it will cost you down the road big time.

That being said if you dot all the i's and cross all the t's they can be good reliable engines , I have built many of them over the years , I have two in the shop right now, none I have rebuilt have ever
    returned for repair.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 10-20-2021 at 12:34 PM.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information