Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to remove drive shaft

On this sad day, I was honking along at about 35mph in my '05, turbo when all hell broke loose, or to be more specific, the drive shaft sheared off a bit forward of the water pump.

I have removed the pump, etc, but even though I can get a pretty good hold on the broken (the part that did did not come out with the pump) I can't get it out. Since I'm not sure how its held in there, I'm reluctant to break out the big tools to snatch it out, for fear I might trash a seal or something. Any one had to cope with this issue, and if yes, how did you extract it.

Another issue: since this catastrophe, the engine won't start. Cranks over as it always has -- plenty of compression, but it won't start. Ideas?

(WOW -- I've not been on this forum since 08-01-16! My 'ski has been running faultlessly since then!)
    Last edited by halmc; 10-14-2021 at 07:08 PM.
    '05 Aquatrax Turbo w/gps
    BMW R1200RT
    Jeep XJ
    HD FXR
    big ole tube of anti seize compound

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: How to remove drive shaft

The driveshaft goes in through the seals and on toward the engine where the fingered coupler is. That coupler is bolted to the very front of the driveshaft. Should be able to pull the shaft back far enough to uncouple it from the engine and unbolt the coupler, then pull it completely out.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Thanks for the quick and on-point answer. This is the finger coupler and bolt to which you refer?

And please, what about the engine not wanting to start -- cranks over normally, just won't start.

(the picture is from eBay)

.coupler.jpg
    Last edited by halmc; 10-15-2021 at 07:37 AM.
    '05 Aquatrax Turbo w/gps
    BMW R1200RT
    Jeep XJ
    HD FXR

Yes, that's the coupler and bolt that needs removed. No start on any 4 stroke......check gas.....check/replace spark plugs.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

I was kinda interested in your opinion re the coincidence of the shaft breaking and the engine refusing to start all in the same episode. Oh well, no need for it to start until the shaft is replaced. Thanks.
    '05 Aquatrax Turbo w/gps
    BMW R1200RT
    Jeep XJ
    HD FXR

A sigh of relief as I did not have to R & R the engine. If ya' move the propeller shaft aft in the 'ski, you can put a socket on the bolt that screws into the forward end of the shaft that holds the finger coupler on. However, I could not muster up the strength to break the bold loose, so I broke out my Harbor Freight angle grinder and cut the shaft just aft of the finger coupler. This enabled me to remove the shaft from the 'ski with no force at all. (N.B. that since the shaft was already in two pieces, I could cut it in three w/o regret/) The bolt to which I referred is RHT as are the threads that secure the propeller to the aft end of the shaft.

So why would the engine not start immediately after the shaft break? Or even long thereafter? I suspected the calamity of the shaft breaking might have cause some other internal issue in the engine. Well not so: the 7.5 amp fuse that protects the fuel pump wiring was showing no continuity. Goodness knows why -- perhaps the incredible vibration in the shaft's final moments mechanically knackered the fuse. Replaced the fuse and she started as she always does.

Mucho thanks to "myself" (referring to a fellow member of this list, not to me) for setting me on the right trail.

In the following image the blue illustrates the cut I made with my HF angle grinder and the red, the break that gave rise to this thread.Aqua shaft.JPG
    Last edited by halmc; 10-17-2021 at 07:58 PM.
    '05 Aquatrax Turbo w/gps
    BMW R1200RT
    Jeep XJ
    HD FXR

Yay.....all's well that ends well.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

Yay, indeed. Now if I only knew what sort of oil to fill the final drive with. Final drive meaning the bit of oil bath that keeps impeller bearing happy. It's contained by a small plastic cone. it would be the aftermost bearing in the 'ski. Owner's manual is silent on the point.
    '05 Aquatrax Turbo w/gps
    BMW R1200RT
    Jeep XJ
    HD FXR

You must flush it clean with solvent, then repack with marine grade wheel bearing grease. Some guys use grease AND gear lube and mix sort of a slurry for their pumps.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

Once again: THANKS! Thanks to you, I should be back on the water by Wednesday. That's quite a change from thinking that I might have to sell my beloved Aquatrax by the pound!
    Last edited by halmc; 10-23-2021 at 07:22 AM.
    '05 Aquatrax Turbo w/gps
    BMW R1200RT
    Jeep XJ
    HD FXR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information