» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fox river pwc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just another silly Squarenose re-do

Time for some fun.

So, now that I'm retired from a decade of organizing Jet Blast, I am also done spending my off-season time restoring or modding or building raffle skis. Now I can build more of what I feel like building, but more importantly, I don't have the stress of deadlines or creating skis with maximum raffle appeal. Like I said, time for some fun.

I bought this 1990 SN a month ago, as you see it here, other than I sold the stock ride plate off of it at our annual swap meet last week.

The basic story on it is:
    2 owners before me, and was really never ridden hard...and the hull shows it has lived a gentle life.
    It sat for a good number of years, something like 10, until last winter, when the 2nd owner brought it back to life, but never really got it dialed in fully - and once his teenage kids declared their lack of interest in standups, well, it then wound up with me.

Mechanically:
    6m6 bottom with 61x 701 cylinder/head - fairly common "hybrid" motor set up that I built several of back in the 90s. Great for bottom end. Really performs essentially the same as a full 61x.
    Minty factory B pipe.
    Factory pipe waterbox.
    Brand new 46 SBN.
    Skat impeller.
    Westcoast open intake grate.
    Brand new Blacktip turf.
    HT chinpad cover.
    AC aluminum handlepole, stock length.
    Primer.
    Brand new stator.
    Anodized bow and stern eyes.

I will share my ideas and potential plans for this ski in a bit, but more than likely it will be available to the 4th owner when I am done re-doing it. We will see. This hull may be too minty to let go, LOL.

No, you can't buy this B-pipe. It probably won't even stay on this ski anyhow...

20211010_103439.jpg20211010_103725.jpg20211010_103643.jpg20211010_103637.jpg20211010_103631.jpg20211010_103618.jpg20211010_103612.jpg20211010_103546.jpg20211010_103542.jpg20211010_103532.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fox river pwc; 10-15-2021 at 11:07 AM.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Yeah, I'm an @sshole, but I'm not a complete @sshole.

http://badgerlandjetpilots.com/

I don't come here to make enemies - only to identify them...

Blog Entries

Re: Just another silly Squarenose re-do

More pictures...

Side note, I winterized this SN yesterday. It also came with a new lithium battery. No, I didn't bother to test ride it. I don't need or want to. First time I will ride this SN is after I'm done going through it completely.

20211010_103739.jpg20211010_103937.jpg20211010_103930.jpg20211010_103921.jpg20211010_103911.jpg20211010_103854.jpg20211010_103851.jpg20211010_103841.jpg20211010_103829.jpg20211010_103825.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Subscribed
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Blog Entries

The basic plan here is to document this build and to also explain how I go about deciding what I like to do with SNs like this. This may or may not match what others do, which is fine. What I know is that there are many simple (and cheap, lol) assembly tricks that greatly improve the handling, performance and long-term durability of SNs (and many stand ups in general), so I employ these tricks......other people are much more OK with spending time bent over on the beach with their hoods off than I am, and I'm too old for that sh1t, so....

Step one, evaluate the evidence (aka, note what is wrong with this ski, both visible and not so visible):
    1) Head gasket is installed backwards.
    2) Aluminum handlepole with OEM springs.
    3) Stock handlebars suck.
    4) Hood channel gouges and paint rubbed off the hood and handlepole tell us that this pole was never installed correctly. Handlepole riser pad was recently added by the 2nd owner as a band-aid.
    5) Front rubber bumper/nose piece installed incorrectly.
    6) Padding under the gas tank and waterbox is not adequate or correct.
    7) Water routing is incorrect.
    8) Motor is not tuned correctly.
    9) Pipe alignment could be better.
    10) Start/stop switch having intermittent issues.
    11) RTV squish out coming from the pump sections tells me this pump will get a full disassembly and inspection.
    12) Hood vent tubes appear to have been cut with a 2x4, and rather illogically.
    13) Tool container is missing.
    14) Fuel line routing need correcting.
    15) Reg decals installed incorrectly.

Step two, disassemble ski and complete the evaluation process.

As I have multiple customer/buddy project getting started this fall as well, progress on this SN will occur at whatever pace suits my schedule and energy levels.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

So the funny thing I should add is that this ski currently "shows" beautifully, and is technically in running condition. It is literally a poster child example of a ski that would potentially bring big $$ just the way it sits...and depending on the buyer, may or may not create "issues" at that point. In other words, I could see a newbie buying this, and valuing/paying up based on the stuff currently bolted on it, only to find out soon after that it's just not "quite right". I mean, it literally took me about 2 minutes of inspection time to come up with all the stuff it really needs corrected to be a ski truly worthy of "big $$"....but keep in mind this is coming from me and my a-hole opinion. Some will disagree. Some go by different standards than I do. But then again, Mark Gomez rode my original 1990 Sleeperjet at the TCJP Sortie years ago, came back to the beach with grin and said, "This is the best Squarenose I've ever ridden.", so disagree with me all you want, LOL....but I will agree with Gomez - pretty sure he knows more than me and most of the rest of the world.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

Look closely at the pictures showing the handlepole pivot.
    The gaps between the pole bushings and bracket are unacceptable, and explain the hood gouges and paint damage. The sad part is installing the handlepole correctly, years ago, would have taken an extra hour at most.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

Here are the gaps.
    Terrible.
    But the fix is easy.
    Measure the gaps, feeler gauge/caliper... whatever.
    Add them together, divide by 2, then create 2 new "shims" and stick one on each side to fill the gaps and keep the pole centered.
    This is why I save old/used pole bushings. Very easy to cut off the shaft and then re-purpose the flat "washer" portion to create custom shims for exactly this type of example.

20211010_115424.jpg20211010_115430.jpg
    Last edited by fox river pwc; 10-10-2021 at 02:00 PM.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

20211010_120053.jpg

I already bought an old school aftermarket pole spring at the Swap Meet last weekend, for this SN. These aren't as stiff as the current Blowsion springs, but it will do the trick here.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

20211010_120926.jpg

Red = Reserve
    LOL
    Before you disconnect fuel lines, a zip tie can help to remind you which is which later on...

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

More poster child examples of why proper assembly is critical.

...and no matter how pretty and minty a ski looks on the outside, it is the inside you need to be concerned with.

Look what these pictures show:
    Padding under the tank is missing a piece, but more importantly it is still the OEM glued in crap that always comes loose.

Yes, that is a freakin cracked chunk of garbage styrofoam under that Factory Pipe waterbox. Guess what happens to the hull when that garbage styrofoam wears away? Yep, the waterbox rubs a hole in the hull.

Yes, both the throttle and steering cables have been worn due to rubbing on the waterbox, you know, cuz putting a sleeve of tubing over them is just too much hassle, right? LOL

Luckily there is no hull damage here, and I can save these cables, but still.....this is why I buy skis and then take them apart before riding/keeping/selling them.

This also shows the importance of the Ultimate Underpadding kits that I make/use/sell.

20211010_121529.jpg20211010_121533.jpg20211010_122150.jpg20211010_122155.jpg20211010_122204.jpg20211010_122208.jpg20211010_122225.jpg

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information