Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: The science of condensation...

What I've known from the Oil Patch is that having a Tank FULL of Liquid Hydrocarbons is normally much much SAFER than having an "Empty" Tank full of Volatile Hydrocarbon Vapors.

Just ask Myself who burnt his Hand on an "Empty" Fuel Tank...

I've been inside those Huge Carbon Steel Gasoline Storage Tanks you see at the Storage Terminals (Tank Farms) in most Sea Ports. Even though the Steel Tanks, down for repairs, were cleaned, washed, dried and constantly vented with huge Venturi Blowers(Copus Fans), there was always a big explosion risk every morning after a cool night, because the Gasoline would 'Sweat" on the cool inner steel walls and then evaporate as the day got warmer. Some Fuel hiding in the Steel Wall pores, and probably trace Fuel from the Pontoons that support the Floating Roof (a "Lid" to keep the Vapor Level to a minimum as the Fuel Level drops, to prevent Evaporation and Fuel Product loss; the Roof goes up and down with it).

Static electricity was lethal so no synthetic clothing allowed. Everyday,we would take Vapor Concentration Readings with an 'Explosimeter" to determine where in the Explosive Range the Internal Tank Air was: LEL Lower Explosive Limit, Safe, UEL Upper Explosive Limit? No entry until Levels were safe.

"Seen" three Major Accidents from these Condensation Vapors: One was a Painter/Sandblaster. first thing in the Morning, He sandblasted the External Steel Wall of a Storage Tank near a Permanent Top Vent with his Sandblaster and blew himself to Kingdom Come. Never found all His Body Parts. The Floating Roof went airborne and landed a few hundred feet away crushing a few cars. Of course it sounded like a Bomb.

The second accident involved a Welder repairing a Fuel Tanker Truck. He had already worked on it the day before without incident. He came back the next morning and as soon as He struck an Arc on the Rear Tank End Shell, the Tanker blew up like a scene out of the Terminator.

If they only had had proper safety training, they would have been aware of these dangers. But even with good training, some of these dangers are not intuitive nor immediately obvious. That Steel is porous? Not what one normally thinks, but at a microscopic level, the surface is not smooth at all...

The third accident should have never happened, because the Owner of the Tank Cleaning Company caused it, and He should have known better. His Crew was inside a Tank cleaning it and removing the Tank Bottom Sludge (Bunker C), in other words the Tank was "Hot". Dumbass grabbed the Entry Manway with both Hands while wearing a Synthetic Sweater to check on his Crew, stuck his Head inside the Manway and right after the Crew told Him everything was A-OK, He pulled-out and when he released his grip off the Steel Manhole Flange, a Static Electricity Spark (from His damn Sweater) popped and ignited the Vapors, killing both Workers inside and blowing the Owner backwards minus his Ears, Eyebrows, Beard and some Hair. The two Workers were also blown out of the 24" diameter Manway into a million pieces.

May these Hard-Working Men Rest in Peace Always.

The odd thing, according to the Experts, is that there is an instantaneous Implosion just before the actual Explosion...
    Last edited by JC-SuperJet; 10-11-2021 at 10:50 PM.

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
    Ok I will throw in one more thing, go ahead and fill your tank up now, while you can afford it , at the rate creepy Joe is screwing stuff up that may be the only gas you can afford next year peace out !
    Don't remind me about that sleepy retard. I am a Polaris guy and there were rumors Polaris was going to make PWC again if Trump won.

I rode so much when fuel was $1.80, I was going out like 4 times a week. The value of single carb 650 SJ is going to go up just because it uses less fuel lol.
    Last edited by pro785; 10-11-2021 at 11:42 PM.
    90 Superjet - Coffman pipe, other mods
    98 Polaris Pro 785 - stock graphics, just ported and polished
    98 Polaris Pro 785 - black top, cylinders milled .020, ported, polished, watcon cooling
    95 Kawasaki 750 sxi - R&D pipe, ported, polished, bored 1.5mm over
    01 Polaris 600 sc xp sled - Stock

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Go fill up those jugs and put stabil in the gas , it's only going to get worse from here on out !
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fox river pwc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
    Go fill up those jugs and put stabil in the gas , it's only going to get worse from here on out !
    Yep, so instead of using junk science to believe that closed empty gas tanks fill themselves up with condensation, you can instead use the economic benefits of hoarding gas in jet ski gas tanks to make a choice rooted in logic, LOLOLOL.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Yeah, I'm an @sshole, but I'm not a complete @sshole.

http://badgerlandjetpilots.com/

I don't come here to make enemies - only to identify them...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Wow using gas cans to store gas who would have ever thought it ?
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

I fixed up an '03 GPR1200 last year to sell. It sat out in the weather on a trailer at my place for 3 years. Before that.....who knows, as it was blown up! When I had the motor out, I pulled the tank back to clean it out proper like. No sludge, no water, hell...I siphoned out the gas and used it in my mower! It smelled a bit old but basically nothing wrong with it! That alone busted the condensation myth for me.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    I fixed up an '03 GPR1200 last year to sell. It sat out in the weather on a trailer at my place for 3 years. Before that.....who knows, as it was blown up! When I had the motor out, I pulled the tank back to clean it out proper like. No sludge, no water, hell...I siphoned out the gas and used it in my mower! It smelled a bit old but basically nothing wrong with it! That alone busted the condensation myth for me.
    Yes, actual science, reality, and firsthand experiences are all great reasons to stop believing in myths

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Resident Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fox river pwc View Post
    Yes, actual science, reality, and firsthand experiences are all great reasons to stop believing in myths
    It appears that gasoline can hold a bit of water before it separates. Or engines can drink a little without causing problems. I have had water get into boat gas tanks and was never able to find it. I need to do a proper experiment to see how various gasoline entrains water.
    What exactly does the IJSBA do?

I dream skis

I worked on boats and engines at an inland marina back in the late 60's early 70's. One guy brought his 20 hp outboard in because it would die after a while when using it. Would not restart. Every time I worked on it, it had water in the carbs. A lot of water.

I told him to check his fuel tank. 6 gallon steel tanks were common back then. He got snippy told me he had done that and I was an idiot for even asking. I was a young guy, not used to dealing with idiots.

Finally the boss told him to bring his how rig in if it happened again.

Turned out, he had installed a extra tank under the bow of his boat. The vent was turned face of water was forced into it under certain conditions while underway.

I have come to believe that most water gets into tanks through the vents.
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great as of July 2019 (NO THANKS to the person at SBT, who put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into the rebuilt engine I got from them)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kweasel View Post
    It appears that gasoline can hold a bit of water before it separates. Or engines can drink a little without causing problems. I have had water get into boat gas tanks and was never able to find it. I need to do a proper experiment to see how various gasoline entrains water.
    If you had water in a gas tank, but you were unable to find it, how did you know it was there?

Regardless of whatever amount of water that gas can absorb or not, the point here is that if you store any ski with a completely empty fuel tank, and the gas cap on snug, there won't be condensation inside the tank come springtime - and therefore brimming the tank with fuel to prevent condensation during storage is futile, and worse yet, brimming it only exposes the plastic tank to the effects of fuel unnecessarily.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information