SXR 800 Carbon Fibre Ride Plate - Questions.
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

SXR 800 Carbon Fibre Ride Plate - Questions.

I own an X2 but have been working on a SXR 800 and decided that while it was in my posession, I would make a carbon fibre bedplate and ride plate... because, why not. I have already made a post about the bedplates that I have made, and I was able to get out last week and test one of my ride plates.

I'm not a stand up guy, I suck at riding them, but the "copy" of the R&D plate that I made seemed to work really well. The ski that I put it on had sponsons, an aftermarket pole (RRP) and a carbon fibre hood. I have ridden 2-3 other SXRs and this was easily the best handling one of the bunch. I'm told that this may be due to the pole being shorter. Either way, this ski was very well mannered and the ride plate totally eliminated porpoising. It did have a unnerving rocking on smooth water, that I'm told is common and because I wasn't riding fast enough, haha.

ANYWAY. What I'm here for is to chat, share some photos and perhaps get the thoughts of a few folks. I have two questions. 1. How strong does a ride plate need to be IF you don't include smashing it into rocks, slamming into shore or hitting bottom while playing in shallows? (I do realize that this is bound to happen) 2. What would be the likely and worst case scenario if a ride plate were to fail?

The reason I ask is because I have built 3 of them. One is over built and around 1000 grams. The second is about 875 grams (the one I tested) and seems reasonably built. Then I went full weight weenie and built one that is 608 grams (1lb 5.4 oz) If someone is going to get seriously injured or if the ski gets badly damaged, I wouldn't want to do destructive testing BUT I would like to test or have the plate tested if it would just mean failure of the part.

In the end I plan on making some for my X2 and I will probably do some destructive testing at that point, but that won't be until next year, for sure.

build process.png608G.png123.png
    Last edited by X2Onthewater; 10-04-2021 at 02:58 AM.

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

Re: SXR 800 Carbon Fibre Ride Plate - Questions.

I rode my SXR for a while o e day before I realized that the lake ate my rideplate...
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyX2 View Post
    I rode my SXR for a while o e day before I realized that the lake ate my rideplate...
    Okay, so not a near death experience, haha. I'm guessing that it was a OEM ride plate that you were running, or it would have been more noticeable?

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

OEM plate
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

flexy will make it hit the pump.
    had a worx alloy plate that would bend and wedge itself in the hull,never happened with other plates. should be stiff enough not to flex unless you design the flex in to change the handling but that's tricky to calculate.
    rode a 550 for a day also with no plate,bouncy ride.

Quote Originally Posted by restosud View Post
    flexy will make it hit the pump.
    had a worx alloy plate that would bend and wedge itself in the hull,never happened with other plates. should be stiff enough not to flex unless you design the flex in to change the handling but that's tricky to calculate.
    rode a 550 for a day also with no plate,bouncy ride.
    I had thought / wondered about this. A standard ride plate would be held in place by the mounting bolts but none of the strength would be dependant on the mounting .... With a flexible or weak plate, the mounting holes and or fasteners could be forced to take some of the load.

The one good thing is that carbon fibre is able to flex a fair amount and return to original where the aluminum plate could be bent and stuck, like you say.

Thread Information