» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Pee hole not putting out water like it use to

Hi everyone,

First, no prostate jokes......

I have a 1200XL waverunner with an SBT engine that I installed. I have 42 hours on the engine and everything has been fine. I always flush the cooling system with clean water when I get home and only ride in fresh water. Normally I have a good flow of water coming out the pee hole but didn't this time. I know it was coming out good at the beginning of that days ride as I always check it before taking off on the lake. During that ride I was exploring an area at idle speed as it was a no wake area. At one point I ran across something underwater and I think it was a tree stump based on the surrounding area and the way the waverunner leaned and slid to one side as I crossed the hidden object.

I took the waverunner back out on the water today to see if the pee hole was still not back to normal and it wasn't. It was putting out exhaust and spritzing water but no way near the normal stream it has been putting out for the last 2 years. When I got home today the flushing didn't seem to change. Still minimal water coming out of the pee hole. I checked the water coming out of the exhaust and it was doing something that seemed a little off. The flow output for most of the time was good but it would almost stop for a split second and then continue to dump water.

The water output is warm like I would expect and the engine seems to run fine. No overheating or warnings.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by stlmusic; 09-26-2021 at 07:51 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Re: Pee hole not putting out water like it use to

Typically intermittent flow out the tell tale (Water and exhaust) is a blown or bad head gasket, cracked head, block, etc.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

Running it on the trailer and watching the exhaust water isn't a very good test. You could have different water pressure, unless you set it the same EVERY TIME before you connect the hose. Just having the hose laying in a different orientation can change how much piss goes to the top pisser, etc.

Start with the easy stuff. You said you ran over some muck wood. Got an Air compressor? Stick it in the piss hole and blow out the system backwards. Then try again.

That didn't work? Check the cooling lines one by one.

If you're paranoid it's the head gasket, check the plugs. One of them will show water intrusion.
    Last edited by bird; 09-27-2021 at 08:38 AM.
    Third Coast Freeride - Midwest Wave Warriors

Wooka Wooka Wookay. Let's Fing Rage!

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for the replies. The engine is still running great so I'm hoping it's not a blown gasket. I also baby the engine for the most part and ran the break-in exactly as recommended by SBT.
    How much psi is safe to shoot back through? Is 90 psi ok? Since the results are the same in the water as on the hose, if it's a blockage, it's not near the water input. The hose would always put a very strong stream out the pisser.

Flushing when your riding fresh water doesn't make any sense but to each their own.
    Seems to me like you sucked up something into the cooling system. Start at the pump fitting and work your way up....its gonna be caught in a fitting somewhere most likely [mine was the 90* elbow where the line enters the exhaust manifold]
    '96 Suuuperjet: 84mm 61x, ported, B-pipe, Dual 44's, Newmiller head 220psi w/girdle, Skat big hub, footholds, AMG green hell mango matte.
    '95 Raider 701: Fiberglass not SMC, Hydrotrailer hitch, ugly purple and yellow everywhere.

PWCToday Newbie

I don't like the idea of dirty lake water sitting in the cooling sections but I'll admit it's probably overkill. I'm starting to think I do have an exhaust leak but will be a little pissed if it's a failure of something that was already on the engine when delivered from SBT. Only has 42 hours. Normally when the engine is started it will run a bit higher than idle when out of the water. I would expect this. When I started it today, the engine barely wanted to stay running as if a cylinder has stopped contributing. Really low rpm. It also wouldn't rev fully when given throttle also indicating a possible missing cylinder. Exhaust is making it to the pee hole which doesn't seem correct. My understanding of the cooling system, and I could be wrong, is that water and exhaust don't run together in the system. The water runs in jackets around the cylinders, head, and exhaust. Then it's dumped into a discharge line. The pee hole gets water once the rest of the system is full of water and any air in the line would exit the pee hole as pressure is created in the line. If exhaust is in the pee line (smells like exhaust), then a bigger issue is probably at fault. I'll be running a compression test on the cylinders next. I would think that should tell me something.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

PWCToday Newbie

Compression showed low on front cylinder (80 psi) and good on the other two (120 psi) Looks like I'll be taking parts off the engine looking for the problem. I'm surprised at such low hours and not running it hard.

I dream skis

Quote Originally Posted by stlmusic View Post
    ...snip... I'm starting to think I do have an exhaust leak but will be a little pissed if it's a failure of something that was already on the engine when delivered from SBT. ...snip...

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

I would not a bit surprised the SBT engine is starting to fail.
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great as of July 2019 (NO THANKS to the person at SBT, who put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into the rebuilt engine I got from them)

PWCToday Newbie

I pulled the head today and I believe it's good news. No damage to the cylinder and I found a blown head gasket. When installing a new gaskets, does this type require any of that copper or any other gasket sealant?
    IMG_4202.JPG
    IMG_4201.JPG
    IMG_4200.JPG
    Last edited by stlmusic; 10-03-2021 at 03:38 PM.

I dream skis

More important photos would show the mating surfaces of the head and the cylinders. SBT is not known for making sure those surfaces are flat and true before assembly. Something caused that gasket to fail, if you do not find and remediate the cause, the next will fail also.
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great as of July 2019 (NO THANKS to the person at SBT, who put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into the rebuilt engine I got from them)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information