62T wanting to runaway out of water, is this normal?
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

62T wanting to runaway out of water, is this normal?

So I've only ever had Kawasaki 650's and I'm new to the Yamaha's. Long story short the guy I bought the ski from warned me not to rev it out of the water because it would run away, said it was normal but I question that. The ski is a WDK ROK, stock internal 62T, twin 46mm full spectrum carbs,WDK wet pipe, ADA head (180 psi compression), & aftermarket intake/reeds (forget what brand). I'm thinking the free rev issue is a carb or tuning issue but just wanted to get some input from you with more experience.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home SxiPro's Avatar

Re: 62T wanting to runaway out of water, is this normal?

It's not normal. It sounds like you have an air leak. If you don't find/correct it eventually you are going to toast your pistons.
    Changes aren't permanent, but change is.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by SxiPro View Post
    It's not normal. It sounds like you have an air leak. If you don't find/correct it eventually you are going to toast your pistons.
    Yeah don't wanna do that, thank you. I have access to a smoke machine so I guess I'll smoke it & see whats going on.
    87 650SX small pin swap
    12 WDK ROK 701 62T

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Bionic racing's Avatar

Blown base gasket , check for boost port gasket protrusion , on carb side , spray engine down while running with brake cleaner or carb spray until it stalls , found your air leak , those also leak from eroded anaerobic case sealer glue , like locktite , sucks air between cases , free runs are exciting if your a Virgin to them , pull choke till it stalls , if it’s case mating area you will see oil on mating surfaces where air leak is , no oil means it’s sealed correctly , as you split cases ,

Top Dog

Did you tune the idle mixture needles???
    What exactly does the IJSBA do?

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bionic racing View Post
    Blown base gasket , check for boost port gasket protrusion , on carb side , spray engine down while running with brake cleaner or carb spray until it stalls , found your air leak , those also leak from eroded anaerobic case sealer glue , like locktite , sucks air between cases , free runs are exciting if your a Virgin to them , pull choke till it stalls , if it’s case mating area you will see oil on mating surfaces where air leak is , no oil means it’s sealed correctly , as you split cases ,
    Thank you for the specifics, I'll look for the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by kweasel View Post
    Did you tune the idle mixture needles???
    No didn't touch the low adjustment, just bought it sunday & haven't done anything yet. I didn't want to damage anything.
    87 650SX small pin swap
    12 WDK ROK 701 62T

Top Dog

Quote Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER View Post
    Thank you for the specifics, I'll look for the oil.

No didn't touch the low adjustment, just bought it sunday & haven't done anything yet. I didn't want to damage anything.
    Tune the idle needles out of the water first, they are the bottom adjusters. Open them until the idle slows down. Look for an air leak only if one carb needs to be opened a lot more than the other.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by kweasel View Post
    Tune the idle needles out of the water first, they are the bottom adjusters. Open them until the idle slows down. Look for an air leak only if one carb needs to be opened a lot more than the other.
    Thank you, & by that you mean the idle set screw that bumps the throttle wheel? If so I did and it seemed to help but I didn't try to blip the throttle, I'm scared lol. The butterflies are linked if that makes any difference.
    87 650SX small pin swap
    12 WDK ROK 701 62T

Top Dog

Quote Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER View Post
    Thank you, & by that you mean the idle set screw that bumps the throttle wheel? If so I did and it seemed to help but I didn't try to blip the throttle, I'm scared lol. The butterflies are linked if that makes any difference.
    The carbs have two mixture adjustment screws each plus one throttle stop. They may be covered depending on year model. Research this and open them up, find help if needed.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Runaway is NOT normal. You should be able to rev out of the water, especially important to blow the water out of the exhaust.

Runaway can be caused by an air leak (As said above) or improper tune, jetting, adjustment, etc.

I am guessing due to this being a freestyle ski, it has reverse jetting and is off, resulting in a lean runaway.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information