• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kweasel
    Top Dog
    • Apr 2005

Re: What happened to this site?

Jetsking is by and large a lower half activity. There are very few that will make a lifetime hobby out of it. Plus the baby boomer generation that created it is starting to die off. Millennials are the largest population group now and they aren't as interested in older activities.
    What exactly does the IJSBA do?

Comment

• bird
      Resident Guru
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by pro785 View Post
      Unemployment benefits ended for a lot of people on the 3rd. It's not just this site, I think a lot of people were coasting on unemployment and had a lot more time and money to play with toys, and now they are in "oh sh*t" mode. Just enjoy the show, these people who did this are gonna be panicking real soon and dumping their toys for cheap. Before the 3rd, my lake was packed, even on the weekdays. Now there's like one or two boats out on a weekday. It's not just labor day and summer being over for most people. Last year when everyone had "totally not welfare" unemployment my lake was way busier than normal during the week, and a weekend was like a holiday weekend before Wuhan Flu. I think a lot of people were taking unemployment and not saying they were, and now their fun time is over.

I just hope it stays like this, snowboarding last year was the worst season in my life, it was always busy "My son's school is closed or it's at home learning so we just ditched the day to go snowboarding hehe." I think those people are going away from this hobby as well as a lot of other ones. Just enjoy it, we're finally going to be able to enjoy the water without a billion noobs running around.
      The lake/river always die in September. Kids go back to school and college. It's my favorite month to ride.
      Third Coast Freeride - Midwest Wave Warriors

Wooka Wooka Wookay. Let's Fing Rage!

Comment

• theVetteman3
        PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
        • Jul 2008

Honestly it's the Facebook groups and other social media sites. They are easier for "kids" to get on and post stuff up on. It takes very little effort. And the key thing is, you can't establish credibility as you can on here. With posts and threads you start, and feedback threads, it's easy to see how reputable and knowledgeable a person really is. On FB everyone is equal, and that typically means the douches have more say and more people believe them. And also I think tapatalk sucks. I never installed it on my phone but I think that turned away a bunch.

I reluctantly joined the FB groups and found good guys I would not have elsewhere. But the average quality of people and info are just trash compared to this site. My classic example is when I posted up about either my 550/750 or 550/800. Telling my speed / impeller and asking what others are getting with similar set ups and impellers. I'd get 100 responses. 80 would be I don't believe you, you're making this up, where's real proof- or how do I get my 650sx with it's stock 650cc go that fast too. 18 would be legitimate compliments, or vague answers to my question- usually some weird reference of someone they know who did something similar with good results. Two out of 100 would be useful. And I kid you not, the last time I posted there was only one good response and it was from a guy on this site and I already knew what he was doing.

Another funny story. I'm a part of the Yamaha Wavejammer group. One guy disappeared for maybe 6 months after I helped him with his 650 and 701 swaps. I was really sad to see him go, especially because we never saw what his skis were capable of. Well he returned under a different name on FB and in the group, claiming people were after him. He then went on to post wild speed claims which we believed.. until we dug deeper with talking to him and some of his data. Now its sad but nobody really believes anything he says. He's a good example of someone who had zero credibility and the impact that can have. There is just a lot more crap you have to sort through.

Side note, I think some of that is because FB is so public, guys who race and have a reason to keep the details on their built skis secret, wish to do so. They don't want to give the millennials with the "gimme gimme" mentality all the answers. And I get that. On this site there's a ton of info but you have to work to find it. Usually that's a different caliber of person.

One thing is for certain though, stand up skis have been booming during Covid. There is no denying ski and parts prices are way up. Dealerships can't keep any type of ski, sit down or stand up, in stock. I think some of this is covid, but I also think some of it is the increased popularity due to FB and other social media. It's more widespread and easier for people to join and find out stuff about.

For me personally I greatly preferred things ~10 years ago. When these forums were bigger and you had to at least try to find this site and xh2o. You felt a bit more special building stuff that only a select few on the forums knew about. My ski buddy friends that I met on here I'm still friends with and stay in touch with and ride with. And key thing, they are all without exception excellent ski builders and people very similar to me. A lot of the FB "gimme" generation I just don't associate well with.

My rant is over. I wish I could get all the real guys on here. I might start pushing that more.
        1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller 800, Rhaas 750 pump conv. [56.3mph gps]
        2009 1100 SJ:
        Kawi 1100 build in progress
        2009 SJ MINT:
        KP steering adaptor, Worx 228 intake, PWR ride plate [47.3mph gps]
        1987 WJ650:
        6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, Coffmans Sizzler [49.1mph gps]
        1994 XiR: 830cc Superstock, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl [53.7mph gps]
        1995 SJ MINT:
        Worx 205 intake [42.5mph gps]

Comment

• ZacFlyer
          Frequent Poster
          • Aug 2016

Coming from a young guy here -25. I like this site because it has the meat and potatoes of information. If I need an answer it has been said here or there are a bunch of other guys who would be happy to help me. Sure it might take a few days longer. But in the FB groups, you get constantly ridiculed even if it is a complex problem.

The FB groups are a pissing contest. This site is for the patient minded and the traditional community.

I agree with much of what has been said before me.
          Last edited by ZacFlyer; 09-16-2021, 12:42 PM.
          ‘80 SurfJet 9ft White Build Here: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=492092&p=4550438#post4550438
          ‘82 JS440 / 650 Swap Build Here: (Sold)
          http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=491239&p=4543624#post4543624
          '92 750sx Barn Find Build Here:
          http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=493981&p=4561610#post4561610
          '95 Yamaha Wave Raider 700
          '97 Yamaha SuperJet Build Here: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=494510&p=4564967#post4564967
          '16 Yamaha VXR

Comment

• kweasel
            Top Dog
            • Apr 2005

The internet is extremely difficult to get useful information from because much of it is conflicting. I could not get the best results until I read textbooks and got a tachometer and GPS. That was followed by a couple of years of porting cylinders, bending impellers, boring nozzles, and tuning carbs. That led to reshaping pump inlets, playing with hull length, and sponsons. Now, I can make a standup ski do whatever I want. I mostly try to keep kids from making dumb choices and/or toasting their engines but its usually a waste of my time. I didnt know there is a Wavejammer 500 group. Im about to have 701 and 144 pump in mine. I took some time figuring out what parts to use and getting everything to fit without cutting out the whole bottom. I'll share specs and results with anyone interested.
            Last edited by kweasel; 09-16-2021, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• ZacFlyer
              Frequent Poster
              • Aug 2016

Originally posted by kweasel View Post
              I didnt know there is a Wavejammer 500 group. Im about to have 701 and 144 pump in mine. I took some time figuring out what parts to use and getting everything to fit without cutting out the whole bottom. I'll share specs and results with anyone interested.
              I have seen a few people do those builds, cool stuff.
              ‘80 SurfJet 9ft White Build Here: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=492092&p=4550438#post4550438
              ‘82 JS440 / 650 Swap Build Here: (Sold)
              http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=491239&p=4543624#post4543624
              '92 750sx Barn Find Build Here:
              http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=493981&p=4561610#post4561610
              '95 Yamaha Wave Raider 700
              '97 Yamaha SuperJet Build Here: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=494510&p=4564967#post4564967
              '16 Yamaha VXR

Comment

• linkman
                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by JonnyX2 View Post
                I sold everything but I still come on the site to answer questions and help out.
                Wait... what? No more skis?

Originally posted by PrickofMisery View Post
                I still log in everyday…… because of Linkman
                Thanks
                Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Originally posted by cujo
                God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

Comment

• pro785
                  Frequent Poster
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by bird View Post
                  The lake/river always die in September. Kids go back to school and college. It's my favorite month to ride.
                  I know it usually does, but last year it didn't seem like it. Mainly because people were getting welfare, not working, and there were no kids in school. I just think things are going back to normal, and part of it going to normal is this place being dead in winter.
                  90 Superjet - Coffman pipe, other mods
                  98 Polaris Pro 785 - stock graphics, just ported and polished
                  98 Polaris Pro 785 - black top, cylinders milled .020, ported, polished, watcon cooling
                  95 Kawasaki 750 sxi - R&D pipe, ported, polished, bored 1.5mm over
                  01 Polaris 600 sc xp sled - Stock

Comment

• hemmjo
                    Resident Guru
                    • Oct 2013

I am an old retired guy who started coming here for information when I got the two boats listed below. Got them both working now, but have not had them out for 3 seasons. Life just gets in the way; had some surgery, Covid came along, building a barn/workshop to work on and store all of my toys and equipment in, helping my kids with their home improvements projects, kids getting married, grand kid on the way. There is only so much time in a day. I joke sometimes that I am thinking of getting a full time job so I will have more free time. This retirement gig is exhausting!!!! lol

As a previous poster mentioned, I only visit here when my IN BOX says, "linkman has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to ....."
                    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great as of July 2019 (NO THANKS to the person at SBT, who put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into the rebuilt engine I got from them)

Comment

• Cliff
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by hemmjo View Post
                      I am an old retired guy who started coming here for information when I got the two boats listed below. Got them both working now, but have not had them out for 3 seasons. Life just gets in the way; had some surgery, Covid came along, building a barn/workshop to work on and store all of my toys and equipment in, helping my kids with their home improvements projects, kids getting married, grand kid on the way. There is only so much time in a day. I joke sometimes that I am thinking of getting a full time job so I will have more free time. This retirement gig is exhausting!!!! lol

As a previous poster mentioned, I only visit here when my IN BOX says, "linkman has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to ....."
                      Well said !

…and CONGRATULATIONS on becoming a Grandpa!

Comment

• Mentzel
                        PWCToday Guru
                        • Oct 2005

I still like this site because of the wealth of info. Go buy a 20 year old ski for $500.. and you can likely find plenty of info on it. PWC today sure helped me in my racing days 15 years ago. Forums are the encyclopedia for our hobbies. FB not so good for that.

Comment

• theVetteman3
                          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by kweasel View Post
                          The internet is extremely difficult to get useful information from because much of it is conflicting. I could not get the best results until I read textbooks and got a tachometer and GPS. That was followed by a couple of years of porting cylinders, bending impellers, boring nozzles, and tuning carbs. That led to reshaping pump inlets, playing with hull length, and sponsons. Now, I can make a standup ski do whatever I want. I mostly try to keep kids from making dumb choices and/or toasting their engines but its usually a waste of my time. I didnt know there is a Wavejammer 500 group. Im about to have 701 and 144 pump in mine. I took some time figuring out what parts to use and getting everything to fit without cutting out the whole bottom. I'll share specs and results with anyone interested.
                          Wow pretty cool. Please do post up here, and feel free to post on my 650 jammer swap build thread as well, in the individual builds section. Like I said there has been mixed results on the pump swap. Those guys who have done them have not devoted sufficient time testing or recording data to make any meaningful progress for the rest of the jammer community. Certainly not enough to make the swap a no brainer by comparison to the stock pump.

The FB jammer group is entertaining at least. There are a bunch of good guys. The main moderator is a cool dude and actually now legitimately has a jammer faster than mine. First time that has happened ever. Most of the guys are too full of themselves and their amazing ideas to pay attention to what has been said and written on the internet before. Or listen to advice from the jammer swap greybeards, lol.
                          1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller 800, Rhaas 750 pump conv. [56.3mph gps]
                          2009 1100 SJ:
                          Kawi 1100 build in progress
                          2009 SJ MINT:
                          KP steering adaptor, Worx 228 intake, PWR ride plate [47.3mph gps]
                          1987 WJ650:
                          6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, Coffmans Sizzler [49.1mph gps]
                          1994 XiR: 830cc Superstock, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl [53.7mph gps]
                          1995 SJ MINT:
                          Worx 205 intake [42.5mph gps]

Comment

• kweasel
                            Top Dog
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by theVetteman3 View Post
                            Wow pretty cool. Please do post up here, and feel free to post on my 650 jammer swap build thread as well, in the individual builds section. Like I said there has been mixed results on the pump swap. Those guys who have done them have not devoted sufficient time testing or recording data to make any meaningful progress for the rest of the jammer community. Certainly not enough to make the swap a no brainer by comparison to the stock pump.

The FB jammer group is entertaining at least. There are a bunch of good guys. The main moderator is a cool dude and actually now legitimately has a jammer faster than mine. First time that has happened ever. Most of the guys are too full of themselves and their amazing ideas to pay attention to what has been said and written on the internet before. Or listen to advice from the jammer swap greybeards, lol.
                            Fortunately the 144 WR3 pump and 1100 mid shaft is the perfect length. Fitting the pump however is a LOT of work. Even if I knew exactly what I was doing it would be a lot of work. So I highly doubt there will be very many successful conversions. Im not sure the stock waterbox and hoses were up to the task so Im using a seadoo HX box mounted flat on top of the tunnel. I installed a drain in the box so it wont hold water during storage. I closed off the large vent under the tower and added one with a standoff on the hood. Plan to have this pig on the water before it gets cold.

Comment

• WFO Speedracer
                              • Aug 2006

Everyone wants an immediate answer to their problem, what you need to understand is the people like myself and others that answer the questions here are usually busy sorting out problem skis and dealing with customer BS. I will gladly answer questions but do not have the time to scroll through all the posts here everyday to do so, the problem with Facebook is you will get answers, lots of them ,most of them wrong.

Until people get out of this take take take mentality and realize that places like this require you to give as well you will be stuck with sites like Facebook which only takes and gives absolutely nothing.
                              Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 09-25-2021, 02:53 PM.
                              Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
                              hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Comment

• Labora
                                PWCToday Newbie
                                • Sep 2021

I prefer forums but took me several months to get approved to use this one. Meanwhile have been on FB groups which get mixed answers.

Comment

Working...
                                X