Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Resident Guru

Re: What happened to this site?

Quote Originally Posted by Mentzel View Post
    A lot of people moved over to FB.. I never did though. To weird for me.. going to work then everyone knows what you did over the weekend before you even tell the story. Wait what did my wife post I ask..?

Social media.. where people want to spy on you, nose into your business, see your pics then think they already know the story based on pics.. then don’t actually talk to you in person.
    nobody forces you to post anything on social media, this is such a boomer comment lol. Any 'smart' device you have already knows everything about you anyways. Alexa, google, your phone / siri whatever.

95% of traffic has moved to FB but the x stays up mostly as a marketplace.
    1994 WB1 1100 conversion - 57mph on GPS

Quote Originally Posted by StuRat View Post
    nobody forces you to post anything on social media, this is such a boomer comment lol. Any 'smart' device you have already knows everything about you anyways. Alexa, google, your phone / siri whatever.

95% of traffic has moved to FB but the x stays up mostly as a marketplace.
    This is such a repetitive comment and Facebook sucks..

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

I sold everything but I still come on the site to answer questions and help out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

Frequent Poster

Unemployment benefits ended for a lot of people on the 3rd. It's not just this site, I think a lot of people were coasting on unemployment and had a lot more time and money to play with toys, and now they are in "oh sh*t" mode. Just enjoy the show, these people who did this are gonna be panicking real soon and dumping their toys for cheap. Before the 3rd, my lake was packed, even on the weekdays. Now there's like one or two boats out on a weekday. It's not just labor day and summer being over for most people. Last year when everyone had "totally not welfare" unemployment my lake was way busier than normal during the week, and a weekend was like a holiday weekend before Wuhan Flu. I think a lot of people were taking unemployment and not saying they were, and now their fun time is over.

I just hope it stays like this, snowboarding last year was the worst season in my life, it was always busy "My son's school is closed or it's at home learning so we just ditched the day to go snowboarding hehe." I think those people are going away from this hobby as well as a lot of other ones. Just enjoy it, we're finally going to be able to enjoy the water without a billion noobs running around.
    90 Superjet - Coffman pipe, other mods
    98 Polaris Pro 785 - stock graphics, just ported and polished
    98 Polaris Pro 785 - black top, cylinders milled .020, ported, polished, watcon cooling
    95 Kawasaki 750 sxi - R&D pipe, ported, polished, bored 1.5mm over
    01 Polaris 600 sc xp sled - Stock

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home PrickofMisery's Avatar

I still log in everyday…… because of Linkman

spacebook killed the forum star
    Last edited by PrickofMisery; 09-14-2021 at 05:50 PM.

Resident Guru

Jetsking is by and large a lower half activity. There are very few that will make a lifetime hobby out of it. Plus the baby boomer generation that created it is starting to die off. Millennials are the largest population group now and they aren't as interested in older activities.
    What exactly does the IJSBA do?

Quote Originally Posted by pro785 View Post
    Unemployment benefits ended for a lot of people on the 3rd. It's not just this site, I think a lot of people were coasting on unemployment and had a lot more time and money to play with toys, and now they are in "oh sh*t" mode. Just enjoy the show, these people who did this are gonna be panicking real soon and dumping their toys for cheap. Before the 3rd, my lake was packed, even on the weekdays. Now there's like one or two boats out on a weekday. It's not just labor day and summer being over for most people. Last year when everyone had "totally not welfare" unemployment my lake was way busier than normal during the week, and a weekend was like a holiday weekend before Wuhan Flu. I think a lot of people were taking unemployment and not saying they were, and now their fun time is over.

I just hope it stays like this, snowboarding last year was the worst season in my life, it was always busy "My son's school is closed or it's at home learning so we just ditched the day to go snowboarding hehe." I think those people are going away from this hobby as well as a lot of other ones. Just enjoy it, we're finally going to be able to enjoy the water without a billion noobs running around.
    The lake/river always die in September. Kids go back to school and college. It's my favorite month to ride.
    Third Coast Freeride - Midwest Wave Warriors

Wooka Wooka Wookay. Let's Fing Rage!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home theVetteman3's Avatar

Honestly it's the Facebook groups and other social media sites. They are easier for "kids" to get on and post stuff up on. It takes very little effort. And the key thing is, you can't establish credibility as you can on here. With posts and threads you start, and feedback threads, it's easy to see how reputable and knowledgeable a person really is. On FB everyone is equal, and that typically means the douches have more say and more people believe them. And also I think tapatalk sucks. I never installed it on my phone but I think that turned away a bunch.

I reluctantly joined the FB groups and found good guys I would not have elsewhere. But the average quality of people and info are just trash compared to this site. My classic example is when I posted up about either my 550/750 or 550/800. Telling my speed / impeller and asking what others are getting with similar set ups and impellers. I'd get 100 responses. 80 would be I don't believe you, you're making this up, where's real proof- or how do I get my 650sx with it's stock 650cc go that fast too. 18 would be legitimate compliments, or vague answers to my question- usually some weird reference of someone they know who did something similar with good results. Two out of 100 would be useful. And I kid you not, the last time I posted there was only one good response and it was from a guy on this site and I already knew what he was doing.

Another funny story. I'm a part of the Yamaha Wavejammer group. One guy disappeared for maybe 6 months after I helped him with his 650 and 701 swaps. I was really sad to see him go, especially because we never saw what his skis were capable of. Well he returned under a different name on FB and in the group, claiming people were after him. He then went on to post wild speed claims which we believed.. until we dug deeper with talking to him and some of his data. Now its sad but nobody really believes anything he says. He's a good example of someone who had zero credibility and the impact that can have. There is just a lot more crap you have to sort through.

Side note, I think some of that is because FB is so public, guys who race and have a reason to keep the details on their built skis secret, wish to do so. They don't want to give the millennials with the "gimme gimme" mentality all the answers. And I get that. On this site there's a ton of info but you have to work to find it. Usually that's a different caliber of person.

One thing is for certain though, stand up skis have been booming during Covid. There is no denying ski and parts prices are way up. Dealerships can't keep any type of ski, sit down or stand up, in stock. I think some of this is covid, but I also think some of it is the increased popularity due to FB and other social media. It's more widespread and easier for people to join and find out stuff about.

For me personally I greatly preferred things ~10 years ago. When these forums were bigger and you had to at least try to find this site and xh2o. You felt a bit more special building stuff that only a select few on the forums knew about. My ski buddy friends that I met on here I'm still friends with and stay in touch with and ride with. And key thing, they are all without exception excellent ski builders and people very similar to me. A lot of the FB "gimme" generation I just don't associate well with.

My rant is over. I wish I could get all the real guys on here. I might start pushing that more.
    1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller 800, Rhaas 750 pump conv. [56.3mph gps]
    2009 1100 SJ:
    Kawi 1100 build in progress
    2009 SJ MINT:
    KP steering adaptor, Worx 228 intake, PWR ride plate [47.3mph gps]
    1987 WJ650:
    6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, Coffmans Sizzler [48.5mph gps]
    1994 XiR: 830cc Superstock, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl [53.7mph gps]
    1995 SJ MINT:
    Worx 205 intake [42.5mph gps]

Coming from a young guy here -25. I like this site because it has the meat and potatoes of information. If I need an answer it has been said here or there are a bunch of other guys who would be happy to help me. Sure it might take a few days longer. But in the FB groups, you get constantly ridiculed even if it is a complex problem.

The FB groups are a pissing contest. This site is for the patient minded and the traditional community.

I agree with much of what has been said before me.
    Last edited by ZacFlyer; 09-16-2021 at 01:42 PM.
    ‘80 SurfJet 9ft White Build Here: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=492092&p=4550438#post4550438
    ‘82 JS440 / 650 Swap Build Here: (Sold)
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=491239&p=4543624#post4543624
    '92 750sx Barn Find Build Here:
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=493981&p=4561610#post4561610
    '95 Yamaha Wave Raider 700
    '97 Yamaha SuperJet Build Here: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=494510&p=4564967#post4564967
    '16 Yamaha VXR

Resident Guru

The internet is extremely difficult to get useful information from because much of it is conflicting. I could not get the best results until I read textbooks and got a tachometer and GPS. That was followed by a couple of years of porting cylinders, bending impellers, boring nozzles, and tuning carbs. That led to reshaping pump inlets, playing with hull length, and sponsons. Now, I can make a standup ski do whatever I want. I mostly try to keep kids from making dumb choices and/or toasting their engines but its usually a waste of my time. I didnt know there is a Wavejammer 500 group. Im about to have 701 and 144 pump in mine. I took some time figuring out what parts to use and getting everything to fit without cutting out the whole bottom. I'll share specs and results with anyone interested.
    Last edited by kweasel; 09-16-2021 at 02:33 PM.
    What exactly does the IJSBA do?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information