Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Thread: 550 steering

550 steering

Have everything dialed in on my 550sx for carving bouys except the little bit of play in the steering that drives me nuts. What have guys done to get that little bit of slop out of the steering? Do they have any steering systems for the vintage skis?
    Just looking for more ways to spend money on this 550. Haha

picture of current set up. I know I can re do it again to tighten it up but as soon as a friend rides it and rips on it I know the little bit of play will come back. Looking for any long term solutions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Bionic racing's Avatar

Re: 550 steering

Yamaha cable ends , try those , stainless fits the pivot balls tighter ,

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

have a bearing system for you.brand new .

Bearing system on both ends of the cable!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1995 FX-1: Pro-Tec chamber~Skat swirl~Pro-Tec plate~Blowsion Destroyers

1990 Square Nose: Blue ported Jetmaniac 718~#ZERO lightened/drilled flywheel~ADA girdled/32cc~701 B pipe/flow control~Hooker 9-15~AAA pole~Pro-Tec rideplate~Tom21 Tubbies and nose piece

2014 Super jet waiting on a B pipe and Hooker....

PWCToday Regular

FWIT - cable ends are not the only place slop is introduced. The cable itself can (and do) get worn over time by the cable rubbing inside walls of the housing. When the inside of the cable housing gets worn (in the bend mostly) it creates extra space inside the housing. Then when you turn left the cable has room to pull tight to the inside of the cable housing and when you turn right it pushes the cable to the outside of the housing. This slight difference creates enough wiggle room for the cable to introduce slop into the steering. Only way I know to fix this is by replacing the cable.

I tightened up the steering and got the Showtime Freestyle steering cable no play ends. No play or slob in it now.

I’d buy the cable ends again as for $20 it’s a huge improvement but be prepared to cut and grind pieces down. The Showtime cable ends are longer than the stock ones so it takes some “customization” to get it all to fit……. (I also installed the cable end on the nozzle but couldn’t get a good pic of it)

59A64C52-99CC-4182-A666-3EE99ADFFAA3.jpeg

PWCToday Regular

Ha - I just installed them on a 550 a week ago and will confirm that they are indeed too long. I found that running a tap down the new cable ends got them to turn in several more turns before bottoming out on the shaft. But that was not enough and I ended up cutting about a quarter to maybe a half an inch off the top of the steering cable in order to get it adjusted correctly. Glad you were able to get the steering tightened up.

Thread Information