User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Kawasaki Fuel issues

I have a 2006 Kawasaki stx-15f. I have replaced the fuel pump 4 times. Each time it only last a few times.with no starting. I don't know what the problem is. I did replace the engine with a new rebuilt engine. The last time I replaced the fuel pump I found the wires at the top fuel housing were corroded and repaired them. What could be wrong? I can pull the pump out bench test it and works. When stays in the fuel tank it only works for a short time.
    If it ain't broke, fix it anyway

Re: Kawasaki Fuel issues

Quote Originally Posted by dldodge2 View Post
    I have a 2006 Kawasaki stx-15f. I have replaced the fuel pump 4 times. Each time it only last a few times.with no starting. I don't know what the problem is. I did replace the engine with a new rebuilt engine. The last time I replaced the fuel pump I found the wires at the top fuel housing were corroded and repaired them. What could be wrong? I can pull the pump out bench test it and works. When stays in the fuel tank it only works for a short time.
    The wires inside the tank can get loose at the top where it plugs into the white connector. Bend the pins a little and give it another try.

Sean

The older I get, the more I find myself fixing things that I knew I was doing correctly at the time.

1987 Kawasaki JankyStandup Build
    2004 Kawi-Doo STX-RXT-X Build
    2001 Toyota Tundra Basketcase Build

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin;[URL="tel:4583790"
    4583790[/URL]]The wires inside the tank can get loose at the top where it plugs into the white connector. Bend the pins a little and give it another try.

Sean
    I will give it a try and let you if it works.

thanks

I will give it a try and let you if it works.

thanks
    Tried the wires and they were ok. Fuel pump is dead. If something is shorting it out I wouldn't know where to start looking. Its strange that you can ride around come back and put on the lift and it not start again. Think about putting an external pump on. All you to do is put a pressure switch on with oil pressure switch so when there is no oil pressure the pump will stop. I know that will work is because that is the way my fuel pump on my big boat works.

Tried the wires and they were ok. Fuel pump is dead. If something is shorting it out I wouldn't know where to start looking. Its strange that you can ride around come back and put on the lift and it not start again. Think about putting an external pump on. All you to do is put a pressure switch on with oil pressure switch so when there is no oil pressure the pump will stop. I know that will work is because that is the way my fuel pump on my big boat works.
    It could be the tip switch, relay, or the start/stop/kill button. If they test fine on the bench there is something up with the harness/sensors.

Sean

The older I get, the more I find myself fixing things that I knew I was doing correctly at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin;[URL="tel:4583828"
    4583828[/URL]]It could be the tip switch, relay, or the start/stop/kill button. If they test fine on the bench there is something up with the harness/sensors.

Sean
    Pull the pump out and itís dead. They road it around for 3 days last weekend. When put back the lift to flush it out it ran fine. Went to take it out back out yesterday would not start. What could be shorting the pump out from power left on and short out the pump. I think I might go with an external pump if goes out again. I will have to put pressure sensor with a t attached to oil pressure switch. That kill the fuel pump when the engine.

I would 100% not hack it up and scab in an external pump. You have something wrong and should diagnose it properly.

Since it is an intermittent failure and not off all the way, I am going to assume the fuse is not blown.

If you cycle the main key off then back on does it work afterwards?

If you take one of the "dead" fuel pumps and test it on the bench with a 12v battery, is it actually dead?

If the pump doesn't work with a known good 12v battery on the bench, something is going on.

Fuel pumps don't just die, they run for hundreds of hours so even if it ran constantly in the tank, the battery would die before the fuel pump would as long as there is fuel in the tank.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin;[URL="tel:4583840"
    4583840[/URL]]I would 100% not hack it up and scab in an external pump. You have something wrong and should diagnose it properly.

Since it is an intermittent failure and not off all the way, I am going to assume the fuse is not blown.

If you cycle the main key off then back on does it work afterwards?

If you take one of the "dead" fuel pumps and test it on the bench with a 12v battery, is it actually dead?

If the pump doesn't work with a known good 12v battery on the bench, something is going on.

Fuel pumps don't just die, they run for hundreds of hours so even if it ran constantly in the tank, the battery would die before the fuel pump would as long as there is fuel in the tank.

Sean
    I have a good fuel pump relay that I have tested that is good. I will put that and a good pump and see what it does. If it goes out again, I will start checking all the switches and relays which take awhile.

thanks

dail

Thread Information