Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

kawasaki 650 -surging after running for an hour then quitting

Hi, kawasaki 650 in a '91 sea couch. Last 2 times out, motor has run great for 45 minutes to 1 hour, then starts to lose power and surge, then eventually just runs at low rpm no matter where I try to hold the throttle. first time, I was able to keep it running on full choke (any other position than full and it dies instantly. and limped back to dock. Got it home and it started up and ran fine. Assuming it was a fuel problem, I cleaned tank and screens and lines, etc. Today it did same thing but I was further from home. After 15 minutes on full choke, it died. I could refire it and it would take off like a rocket for about 2 seconds then die. Got towed in and got it home. It started and ran fine for about 5 seconds and died. Now won't even fire and has no spark So I guess it's electrical? Any thoughts?

FYI: coil assembly replaced last year.

thanks.

PWCToday Regular

Re: kawasaki 650 -surging after running for an hour then quitting

Start by cutting spark plug wires back till you have clean wire and re thread your spark plug boots back on with a tiny bit of dielectric grease on the end of the wire.

I’d also pull your breather plug on the stator cover and check for water…

Then if that’s not the problem open up the ebox and check for loose wires or corroded connections.

Is there a lanyard on your ski?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1995 FX-1: Pro-Tec chamber~Skat swirl~Pro-Tec plate~Blowsion Destroyers

1990 Square Nose: Blue ported Jetmaniac 718~#ZERO lightened/drilled flywheel~ADA girdled/32cc~701 B pipe/flow control~Hooker 9-15~AAA pole~Pro-Tec rideplate~Tom21 Tubbies and nose piece

2014 Super jet waiting on a B pipe and Hooker....

PWCToday Regular

Had a shop check all electrics and they determined the cdi was bad. I purchased a used oem cdi(same part number as mine) from a '92 ts. Put it in and ski started right up but won't rev up and surges . Any ideas why?

PWCToday Regular

Just tried it again this morning. Started and idled but would not turn up at all. After about 30 seconds, quit. Now no spark.

PWCToday Regular

More info. Looks like used cdi that I bought is not the same part number as mine.One I bought is a 21119-3702 (which is for an x-2?) and parts list says mine takes a 21119-3721.

PWCToday Regular

Please disregard last post. Seller wrote wrong number on cdi I bought but I made out original factory numbers and it is a 3721. So back to question of why it ran like crap and then quit. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Honestly sounds like a stator issue. You can test it and see what kind of output you have. Notorious for those to quit working and I would recommend to find a good used one or send it to jet ski solutions. Chinese stators last for about a year if you are lucky that’s just what I’ve seen. Other than that I would rebuild the carb and check fuel lines. Could have a air leak making it not deliver enough fuel. These are pretty simple engines and little things can affect them. Good luck and let us know what you find

PWCToday Regular

Carb rebuilt last year . Fuel lines cleaned and checked again 2 weeks ago. Problem now is electrical because I have no spark (again) but I don't know why. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Like I said check your stator. You can find multiple post about no sparks with a simple search. Most of the time it’s your stator that has failed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information