» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minty 550sx

PWCToday Newbie

Minty 550sx

Hi all,

Recently picked up this 91 550sx. Itís all original, but the battery and plugs. Iím really struggling with doing any mods. Iím a purist at heart and skis like this are only original onceÖ. At this point Iíll be riding it stock. Then the ďI canít leave well enough alone, letís make it faster and handle betterĒ side wants to do it all, ride plate, intake grate, prop, carb, half pipe, aluminum pole, etcÖ..😫😫😫😫
    Attached Images Attached Images

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home wmazz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Minty 550sx

A 1/2 pipe (Coffman's), 17 degree impeller (I don't know if you can find one,
    but the extra pitch on a great torque pipe like a Coffman is really fun) and a
    38, 40 (sbn-i), or 44 mikuni sbn just makes it funner to ride.

Bill M.

All the carbs listed would work, but on the short stroke engines, I really like
    the smaller carbs. But they require more work to adapt them.

And remove the sponsons.
    Last edited by wmazz; 08-23-2021 at 05:20 PM.
    Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

Beautiful Boat! Great find. How much did you spend on a minty SX?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1995 FX-1: Pro-Tec chamber~Skat swirl~Pro-Tec plate~Blowsion Destroyers

1990 Square Nose: Blue ported Jetmaniac 718~#ZERO lightened/drilled flywheel~ADA girdled/32cc~701 B pipe/flow control~Hooker 9-15~AAA pole~Pro-Tec rideplate~Tom21 Tubbies and nose piece

2014 Super jet waiting on a B pipe and Hooker....

PWCToday Newbie

$2300 with OEM cover and manual.

Great find and deal!(for COVID prices)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1995 FX-1: Pro-Tec chamber~Skat swirl~Pro-Tec plate~Blowsion Destroyers

1990 Square Nose: Blue ported Jetmaniac 718~#ZERO lightened/drilled flywheel~ADA girdled/32cc~701 B pipe/flow control~Hooker 9-15~AAA pole~Pro-Tec rideplate~Tom21 Tubbies and nose piece

2014 Super jet waiting on a B pipe and Hooker....

Resident Guru

for california prices that's a steal. About 1500 less than I see them posted for usually.

For a half pipe, reach out to wax racing. His new one, based on the coffman, should be done soon. Cheaper than buying used.

A single 44 is a good mod but you can put duals together for only a little more money and get way more performance out of it.

My buddy uses a 13/18 solas that works really well with his setup.

The prowatercraft hull extensions, rideplate, nozzle and front tubbies are all good investments. Not entirely necessary but you will get the most bang for your buck out of the hull extensions but the tubbies will provide the most improvement.

Toploader intake grate will give you great hookup but may lose 1-3mph compared to open grates. Open grates sacrifice hookup in hard turns though. It's a trade off.

Aluminum poles are pretty hard to come by these days for the 550. They aren't any lighter than stock and are just as long. If you can find a used RRP or KP pole, those are certainly worth the investment. It completely changes the ski, they look sick too.

Skis quickly become money pits. Don't blow 5 grand on a ski that's only worth 3. A pipe and used aftermarket stuff will be your best bet.
    1994 WB1 1100 conversion - 57mph on GPS

PWCToday Newbie

Thank you for the advice!

PWCToday Newbie

So Iíve decided to focus on ergonomics and handling more than speed. Hereís what Iíve got in my head.
    Pole spring, straight bars, finger throttle.
    Ride plate and intake grate, still unsure about brand (pjs or jet dynamics).
    Prop, still undecided on the pitch.
    Flame arrestor.
    Iíd like to keep it simple, reliable and looking as original as possible.
    I have a 750sx as my modified ski.
    Last edited by opie650sx; 08-25-2021 at 09:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Pjs USA on Instagram is remaking all the wonderful pjs products. I live my pjs scooper intake and prowatercraft ride plate. All handing mods i really recommended doing prowatercraft they’re the best right now and anything get is a huge gain. Pjs guy is also making 15 and 15.5 impellers. I’ve ran the Solas 13/18 but found the the 15 or 15.5 are the best for what I want. Other than that any other engine mod you’ll be happy with. Definitely a half pipe and I did see wax racing is in the process of building a half pipe and I can’t wait to see his final product.

Good luck man I started loving my 550 once I did the handing mods of prowatercraft now I can’t stop riding it. Tooo much fun to be had either way

PWCToday Newbie

What do y’all think of the PJS nozzles?!?!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information