Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

750sxi carb or possibley fuel delivery issue. Need help!l

Been struggling to get my 95 sxi running.
    I it will start and idle smooth, as long as i prime it with 4 pumps of primer amd maybe two more pumps while its trying to turn over. Have to do this every time.

Then, i have to do really miraculous combinations to get it past 1/4th throttle for it to like WOT.

Then WOT sounds really throaty and very slow, but it doesnt fall on its face, i actually can put around holding WOT but i go most 25mph. At most! No smooth transition on throttle.

Rebuilt carb. 138 compression on each. All stock. 115 main and 75 pilot. Went from 1/4 turn out all the way to 2 turns on L and H. So i went to 225 main jet and out to 1 turn and still feels same, maybe slightly better. Ive even tried smaller springs which helped a bit.

Ive got fresh gaskets on carb, but im thinking an air leak on manifold maybe? Or maybe my fuel pickup has air leak? Think its my carb?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Bruce in SB's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: 750sxi carb or possibley fuel delivery issue. Need help!l

Is the pulse tube on good?
    "Thanks" to Chris Newmiller @ Newmiller Machine

PWCToday Newbie

Ya pulse line looks good, just blew in it to make sure it wasnt leaking there. A buddy of mine came over with a new carb and we tried it... We also did many other things at once.. but its at least firing up and reving with full throttle. So hopefully just small amounts of tuning at this point is all i need. Stock jets and stock turn outs on screws.

-discovered i had no gasket where the air box sits on top of carb, so we made some for it. On that note i watched a few videos of peiple working on carbs and they didnt either. Regardless it made sense to me to add some there. Which also got me thinking.... The two halves of the air box also dont have a gasket seal... Does it need one?
    - we also changed the order of my spark plug cables, not sure if that made a difference.

So maybe it was just a bad carburator or i just needed those gaskets. Too much air.

I wouldn't be too worried about intake gaskets before the carb, they arent that critical (any air leak before the carb still ends up traveling through the carb and as such is being compensated for by fuel). Gaskets after the carb are very important, these leaks can cause lean conditions, since its air not passing through the carb.

Check over the fuel lines, primer and fittings... I had a pinhole in a line that drew in air while running. Needless to say that caused me lots of headaches for a couple years, rebuilding carbs and endless tuning (not easy to do on duals, one set of adjustment screws very difficult to get at). Clear or translucent fuel lines can be helpful to diagnose such an issue, as you might actually be able to see the bubbles.
    Last edited by Ranger76; 08-25-2021 at 04:59 PM.

Thread Information