• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hondamatt450
    PWCToday Regular
    • Jun 2016

Re: Skeeters 550/750 swap

Well pretty productive Saturday. Traded my roommate pipes and got it mounted up in the ski. Man this thing is gonna be colorful lol. Had to chop the exhaust mount back like a 1/4” and lowered the mounting hole about 9/16” to have clearance all around the pipe from hull and the motor. Fits good. Pipe is a 3 piece Coffman from a 650sx.

Also mocked up the west coast oversized tank and seem to have clearance all the way around.

Thinking about adding some heat tape of some sort. Don’t want the exhaust to ruin this tank.

How close can the tank be to the exhaust before I worry about heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• 550headache
      Top Dog
      • Sep 2003

I dont think u need to worry about the pipe and tank. As long as its a wet pipe and you have constant flow it shouldn’t get hot enough to melt the tank.. with a B-pipe you want the pipe to sizzle water. I’d be concerned at that point!

Do the pump conversion! You wont be disappointed. Got my 701/550/750 pump Yamasaki out yesterday and its a hell of a lot more ski then my B-piped FX-1! I do have surfjetlouie front sponsons on it and it feels very light and nimble. The 750 pump makes all the difference! My best friend has a 550/750/550 pump conversion with a 21 skat in it and its a handful of a ski but side but side to the 750 pump conversion there is a huge difference how they pull!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      1995 FX-1: Pro-Tec chamber~Skat swirl~Pro-Tec plate~Blowsion Destroyers

1990 Square Nose: Blue ported Jetmaniac 718~#ZERO lightened/drilled flywheel~ADA girdled/32cc~701 B pipe/flow control~Hooker 9-15~AAA pole~Pro-Tec rideplate~Tom21 Tubbies and nose piece

2014 Super jet waiting on a B pipe and Hooker....

Comment

• hondamatt450
        PWCToday Regular
        • Jun 2016

Ok right on. And **** I know I want to do a 750 pump swap but can’t justify the price right now. Just traded a truck with a bad tranny and some other things wrong with it for a 750 ssxi and 800$. Idk if that pump will work for the swap? What’s the benefit ? Top speed benefit? And throttle response?

Comment

• BLRider
          PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
          • Apr 2007

The pump will fit the swap. I like the 750 pump in my ski as it hooks up awesome and the thrust increase is very noticeable.
          Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Comment

• FOG
            Top Dog
            • May 2004

There is no dispute when it comes to 550 pumps vs 750 pumps in a JS hull. Performance increase is a given. However, if there are budget concerns, I have a few thoughts.

First, once you add up the cost of parts for the swap, don't forget to account for all the incidental expenses that will most likely arise. When I look back on my conversion builds of the last twenty years, those nickle-and-dime costs often resulted in significant increase in the final cost.

Keeping on the topic of budget, you might consider an approach that will eventually get you to where you want to be with your ski without too much immediate financial pain. Consider working with your existing 550 pump & driveline - for now. You can get your ski on the water, with awesome performance, and acquire what you need for pump conversion over a period of time. Perhaps next year, when you have all that you need for the swap, then proceed with that portion of your conversion.

Working with what you have, you might want to consider new bearings and seals for both the driveline bearing box and the pump, especially if their condition is unknown. There is going to be more stress put on these components with the power increase.

Aside from the bearing/seals expense, pull the trigger on a re-pitched impeller. Nineteen and 20-degree impellers are the popular choices. If you're going to crack the pump open for bearing/seals, then this is a great time to blueprint the pump. Simple hand tools and supplies can accomplish this. You can spend a couple of hours with files and abrasives and get good performance gain with very little cost.

Bore the pump nozzle (or get an aftermarket). I use an oscillating spindle sander to bore my nozzles. A couple of bucks for grits and nozzle - done!

You won't be disappointed with a properly configured 550 pump setup. Low end punch is great and top speed is amazing, high 40's to low 50's. And on these skinny hulls, that's a whole lot of fun!
            I'll quit before I sit~~~

Comment

• hondamatt450
              PWCToday Regular
              • Jun 2016

Originally posted by FOG View Post
              There is no dispute when it comes to 550 pumps vs 750 pumps in a JS hull. Performance increase is a given. However, if there are budget concerns, I have a few thoughts.

First, once you add up the cost of parts for the swap, don't forget to account for all the incidental expenses that will most likely arise. When I look back on my conversion builds of the last twenty years, those nickle-and-dime costs often resulted in significant increase in the final cost.

Keeping on the topic of budget, you might consider an approach that will eventually get you to where you want to be with your ski without too much immediate financial pain. Consider working with your existing 550 pump & driveline - for now. You can get your ski on the water, with awesome performance, and acquire what you need for pump conversion over a period of time. Perhaps next year, when you have all that you need for the swap, then proceed with that portion of your conversion.

Working with what you have, you might want to consider new bearings and seals for both the driveline bearing box and the pump, especially if their condition is unknown. There is going to be more stress put on these components with the power increase.

Aside from the bearing/seals expense, pull the trigger on a re-pitched impeller. Nineteen and 20-degree impellers are the popular choices. If you're going to crack the pump open for bearing/seals, then this is a great time to blueprint the pump. Simple hand tools and supplies can accomplish this. You can spend a couple of hours with files and abrasives and get good performance gain with very little cost.

Bore the pump nozzle (or get an aftermarket). I use an oscillating spindle sander to bore my nozzles. A couple of bucks for grits and nozzle - done!

You won't be disappointed with a properly configured 550 pump setup. Low end punch is great and top speed is amazing, high 40's to low 50's. And on these skinny hulls, that's a whole lot of fun!
              I have a decent idea of what I need to spend and it’s really not much. Bought a water box last night, need a impeller probably going with a 20. And miscellaneous small stuff like pisser, gas line, cooling line, should have everything else.

I also have all the extra parts needed to do the 750 pump swap, just need to dish the dough out for the kit from rhass.

What does a blue printed pump consist of? Just smoothing out the inside?

And what size nozzle is popular to bore it to?

I have never really understood blue printing and nozzle boring and what it’s actually doing for performance.

Comment

• FOG
                Top Dog
                • May 2004

Check out my build thread, posts #204 and #214.

Blueprinting the pump is just removing excess casting material, cleaning up the vanes, and smoothing the flow surfaces. Boring the nozzle allows more water to exit the pump. The two stage 550 pump builds a lot of pressure at the nozzle so opening it up compensates for the significant increase in flow/pressure from the increase in impeller pitch. I opened up my nozzle to 69mm.

I have not done a 750 pump swap in any of my conversions so I'll let those who have chime in on their experiences/recommendations.
                I'll quit before I sit~~~

Comment

• BLRider
                  PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
                  • Apr 2007

I was pretty impressed with my cleaned up 550 pump and 20° impeller. The setup is pretty worthy and with the 750 pump kits costing $500 - $800 by the time you're done, the 550 pump is worth it to get on the water.
                  Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Comment

• hondamatt450
                    PWCToday Regular
                    • Jun 2016

Originally posted by FOG View Post
                    Check out my build thread, posts #204 and #214.

Blueprinting the pump is just removing excess casting material, cleaning up the vanes, and smoothing the flow surfaces. Boring the nozzle allows more water to exit the pump. The two stage 550 pump builds a lot of pressure at the nozzle so opening it up compensates for the significant increase in flow/pressure from the increase in impeller pitch. I opened up my nozzle to 69mm.

I have not done a 750 pump swap in any of my conversions so I'll let those who have chime in on their experiences/recommendations.
                    Ski sounds good fog. Getting me amped up to ride mine.

And ok that’ll probably be my route for right now.
                    I have a pump with a few chipped veins at the ends I don’t even know if it’s worth using?

I do have another 550 pump that was recently rebuilt on another 550 ski I have been wanting to try a 440 pump on anyways

So I could also use that one.

Comment

• hondamatt450
                      PWCToday Regular
                      • Jun 2016

Originally posted by BLRider View Post
                      I was pretty impressed with my cleaned up 550 pump and 20° impeller. The setup is pretty worthy and with the 750 pump kits costing $500 - $800 by the time you're done, the 550 pump is worth it to get on the water.
                      Ya the conversion ain’t cheap. Would like to get this thing out on the water before summer is over. What kinda top speed were you getting with your set up blrider?

Comment

• hondamatt450
                        PWCToday Regular
                        • Jun 2016

Haven’t been able to work on the ski much but I did pick up a 750 ssxi

Traded it for a dodge pick up I had and 800$ The dodge had a tranny that was going out and an assortment of problems. 233k miles.

Jet ski is in good condition it seems gonna junk the hull most likely has a crack in the bottom.

Keep the motor pump and electronics.

Also picked up a factory water box from bionic racing. I’m really good condition.

Comment

Working...
                        X