User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Novi 48s question

This is the first time I've ever used Novi carbs. I'm running a fuel cell and broke my return from carbs bulkhead fitting. Wanted to start ski for first time since re-assembly, so I just pushed the two return lines into a water bottle. Took a few tries to get it started but now it starts easily and idles fine but I have to shut it off after about 15 seconds of running because the 20oz water bottle is full to the top from the fuel coming from the return lines. Is this normal, do they flow that much fuel thru the return lines? I've ran oem sxr carbs on this previously and have ran them into a bottle before and almost nothing comes out of the return line off those. If normal I guess it won't matter when new fitting arrives to go straight back into the fuel cell, but it just seems like that's excessive seeing it fill the 20oz bottle in approx 12-15 seconds.
    Last edited by vocalDyslexic; 07-23-2021 at 07:54 PM.

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

Re: Novi 48s question

You should be running a restrictor in the return, I forget the size but will look when I get a chance
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

Thank you sir. Does this have anything to do with running each carb off its own crank case barb and it's own pickup line and not in series? I was thinking about it some and I believe the iBodys I had only used one pickup tube and the front carb was fuled by the out line on the back carb- like a slave/master or push/pull configuration. I know I've also seen setups where one of the carbs has a plate instead of a pump when they are connected in series. Anyway, when each is independent and not pumping to the other carb is that when the restrictors are used? And what is the purpose of restrictors, create higher pressure in the venturies for better atomization maybe? Or is it something alot less cool like not blowing lines off the pickup tubes with the amount of fuel these things are pumping back into the tank?

No restrictor, not enough pressure. I found the notes, its a #60 Mikuni jet, will screw into the outlet end of the plastic Y fitting that comes w the carbs. I always added a pulse fitting on the other intake so each carb has its own, per the NOVI instructions, though I have seen guys run a tee with a single pulse line. Not me, I never wanted to risk a lean seizure...Pulse lines should never be longer than 12", the shorter, the better.

NOVI.48.Dual.jpg
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....

I have dual pulse lines and made the tubing only long enough to go straight to the carb and have no free play. Kinda glad I put them in the bottle today and saw the amount coming out and inquired so I don't have to spend the next month trying to figure out why it runs on the hose but won't run in the lake

Thank you
    Last edited by vocalDyslexic; 07-24-2021 at 01:04 AM.

Base Jetting for the NOVIs
    145p
    135m
    115g
    2.5ns

#60 main jet is the smallest jet they make which will give you the highest fuel pressure. Every time I asked he recommended around a #100 but will vary by application. No way to tell what fuel pressure is without an inline gauge. I have used restrictors from riva in the past https://rivaracing.com/i-17283646-ri...estrictor.html
    Last edited by TomM1; 08-09-2021 at 07:55 AM.
    SWIMMIMNG!!!

Thread Information