Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Kawasaki TS650 NO SPARK

Hello,

Currently trying to get a TS650 running that was given to me. It had no spark. I am after ordering in both a new aftermarket CDI coil box and an aftermarket stator. I also have the stock stator and another ebox.

The best I can get out of any combination of items above is a weak spark on one plug wire (with no plug or boots) and a very weak spark on the other plug wire (with no plug or boots) with the new aftermarket CDI. I cannot get anything out of both stock CDI's

The AC voltage on the purple wire off the stator is 15.5-16.5VAC on the new aftermarket stator and 17.5VAC on the stock stator.

I am not currently using the handle bar controls for bench testing, just leaving the kill switch unplugged and shorting the 2 wires for the solenoid.

I have the resistance values off all components, I can attach if needed.

Is there anything else I can try? or is this POS self aware and doesn't want to work?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home wmazz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Kawasaki TS650 NO SPARK

Are you testing for spark with both plugs grounded?

TS spark plug copper wires will break inside the insulation.
    Remove the caps and tug on the copper wire with pliers
    or a side cutter, to see if the copper core pulls out.

Bill M.
    Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks! I wasn't grounding both plugs! My bad, Im more experienced with single cylinder engines.

While working on this the last few days I've noticed a few things...

-Without the plugs in the engine, it will suck and push air out of the plug holes. Is this normal?

-the starter bendix gear that's inside the case with the flywheel is sticking in the out position. Is this a serviceable part or will I have to buy one?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ianj454 View Post
    -Without the plugs in the engine, it will suck and push air out of the plug holes. Is this normal?
    Yes.
    -the starter bendix gear that's inside the case with the flywheel is sticking in the out position. Is this a serviceable part or will I have to buy one?
    The bendix gets rusted, and fails, or a spring falls off. Either way
    a new bendix is in your future.

Don't loose the thrust washer, or it may end up stuck to a flywheel magnet
    and cause lots of damage. Some front covers had a spring also, but that
    might just be a 750 feature. Just be aware of the possibility.

Is there rust inside your front cover? It is important.

Bill M.
    Last edited by wmazz; 07-25-2021 at 06:24 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks again! Im going to have to start looking for a new or used bendix. I can get a picture tomorrow of the front cover but I don't think there's very much rust.

PWCToday Newbie

Hello,

Just an update. I have the new bendix in and installed. Bench tested the engine and everything worked great. Burned the small drop of gas I put down the cylinders and intake. Installed back into the ski and fired up for all of 5 seconds before losing spark . I tested the pulse wire off the stator and was saying 20-21 VAC.

I did notice that my new aftermarket CDI/Coil box has separated and this white sand substance has leaked. Ive emailed the seller on eBay and waiting a reply. In the mean time could this be my issue or could it be somewhere else?

221764350_1976465152509061_8470654854918485586_n.jpg231325101_890328631571963_1870334040358750986_n.jpg
    Last edited by ianj454; 08-09-2021 at 12:42 PM.

Blog Entries

I tested the pulse wire off the stator and was saying 20-21 VAC.
    That is too low.

Keep your old coil, they rarely go bad, except for the coil wires.

Bill M.

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks!

Been plugging at this for the last few days. The pulse signal voltage under cranking is roughly the same between the old stator and the new aftermarket stator.

Im currently using a stock CDI that I had. unfortunately the plug wires were cut so I have them extended using new wires soldered on and a few wraps of 1000v electrical tape. I have spark now. Sometimes it has a strong blue spark and sometimes a weaker blue spark.

It will start when it feels like it. I have to bottle feed it to keep it going. The carb is getting fuel from the pump and the return line is getting fuel. I cleaned the carb and everything seems good. Does this need a certain fuel pressure to work?

PWCToday Newbie

I finally have constant spark. Had to wait for the replacement CDI box to come in. Tried it today and worked great! I cleaned my fuel pump and replaced my fuel filter and the carb seemed to be feeding fuel to the engine.

I put my garden hose on the hook up on the engine that was put there by the previous owner (see picture) and ran it. I think put too much pressure into the system and flooded the exhaust into the engine. I took the hose off and turned over the engine until all the water was out of the cylinders and exhaust. It seems like this instead of head gasket but not 100%.

Also when the engine is running without the hose exhaust will come out of the front water pipe (see picture). Is this normal?

240603902_1133308873868005_4590410916781881752_n.jpg241232304_1027249734700981_7120170574722207815_n.jpg

Thread Information