Using bed liner to coat the underside of your hull?????
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

I dream skis

Using bed liner to coat the underside of your hull?????

I bought a junk ski from a guy the other day. And I couldn't hulp but notice on his other ski. The hull was a rough texture. When I ask him. About it he told me he used truck bed liner to paint it. He said it really helps the ski get up onto of the water faster. And was almost like how the dimples on a golf ball help it glide though the air further. Has any one else hurd of this? Does it work that way with resistance in water? This was the first time I saw this. He swore it was so much better. But if that were the case why would ski/boat manufacturers. Spend so much time and money for research and development on there hulls, and there smooth. If anyone has a opinion im curious to hear about it.

Re: Using bed liner to coat the underside of your hull?????

I did my x2 in raptor liner. Used coarse spray gun on bottom deck and did it black, then I used a hvlp gun and ran thinned out bright white on my top side. Looks awsome. Couple of pointers from my mistakes. If your going to use liner, tape off any registration and numbers area before applying. Even tho my top deck is smooth to the touch from the hvlp gun application, it's near impossible to get the needed sticker and numbers to stick to it. My after the fact solution was to apply the sticker and numbers then sprayed epoxy resin over the ski as Clear coat. If you prep right you can get pretty awsome results at home. Stay away from the rusteloum bedliner in a can. Its cool for small things, but will not adhear for long on the hull. I had a cpl mph increase after bedliner I believe for the same.reSons you stated. The texture creates less sticking to the water. Since it's an x2 and doesn't like to stick full throttle full lean turns, I found no noticeable difference in not sticking turns at normal speeds. I recommend raptor liner if you have any repairs needed to the fiberglass as you can spend far less time on the finishing work than if going back with epoxy or gel coat. Everyone told me not to the first time for reasons like added weight. It takes 2 qts to coat an x2 bottom with 3 layers. Those 2 quarts plus 16oz hardner weight the same on the ski as they do in the bottle. It doesn't magically ad 30 or so pounds to the ski like everyone's initial reactions suggested. I like it. And will do it to every ski I even have from here on.20190916_151849.jpg20190428_180732.jpg
    Last edited by vocalDyslexic; 07-16-2021 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vocalDyslexic View Post
    I did my x2 in raptor liner. Used coarse spray gun on bottom deck and did it black, then I used a hvlp gun and ran thinned out bright white on my top side. Looks awsome. Couple of pointers from my mistakes. If your going to use liner, tape off any registration and numbers area before applying. Even tho my top deck is smooth to the touch from the hvlp gun application, it's near impossible to get the needed sticker and numbers to stick to it. My after the fact solution was to apply the sticker and numbers then sprayed epoxy resin over the ski as Clear coat. If you prep right you can get pretty awsome results at home. Stay away from the rusteloum bedliner in a can. Its cool for small things, but will not adhear for long on the hull. I had a cpl mph increase after bedliner I believe for the same.reSons you stated. The texture creates less sticking to the water. Since it's an x2 and doesn't like to stick full throttle full lean turns, I found no noticeable difference in not sticking turns at normal speeds. I recommend raptor liner if you have any repairs needed to the fiberglass as you can spend far less time on the finishing work than if going back with epoxy or gel coat. Everyone told me not to the first time for reasons like added weight. It takes 2 qts to coat an x2 bottom with 3 layers. Those 2 quarts plus 16oz hardner weight the same on the ski as they do in the bottle. It doesn't magically ad 30 or so pounds to the ski like everyone's initial reactions suggested. I like it. And will do it to every ski I even have from here on.20190916_151849.jpg20190428_180732.jpg
    Did you do the tunnel/inlet area as well?

Sean

The older I get, the more I find myself fixing things that I knew I was doing correctly at the time.

1987 Kawasaki JankyStandup Build
    2004 Kawi-Doo STX-RXT-X Build
    2001 Toyota Tundra Basketcase Build

I dream skis

I'm glad to hear this cause my x2 was what I was wanting to test this on lol awesome thanks for your information

Screenshot_20210716-120244_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Don't skip this step. It Is vital to proper adhesion to the hull.
    Also depending on the texture you want there is lots of info and demonstrations on YouTube showing how to spray it with hvlp guns and what size needles give what texture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vocalDyslexic; 07-16-2021 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Tried twice to edit picture for size and to remove company and price but....

Attachment 568197
    Last thing. If you are adding sponsons or think you may want to in the future, block off your exhaust hole/holes (I had exits on both sides) before bedliner for guaranteed not to ever leak solution.

Screenshot_20210716-185520_Gallery.jpg nothing is working right for me today...

Thread Information