User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Dual Walbros on a 550?

I bought a nice 550 engine about 10 years ago. Almost everything is brand new. Cases, flywheel, PJS T3 cylinder, etc. It came with a pair of Walbro WR19s on it. Anyone know anything about these? I tried the search feature for a while and couldn't find anything more than a mention of them.

I've finally decided to install this thing next month. Any suggestions before I just throw it in the hull and see what happens? Thoughts on jetting and screw settings? I haven't taken them apart yet. I've got a Coffman's pipe for it and I'll be running them at 4,000' in Montana. Do I need to port match to the intake manifold? There's an empty hole above the low screw with an, "H" next to it. I've seen this in other pics online. Is this supposed to be empty? Finally, which fuel fitting is inlet and return? Thanks!!

IMG_3269.JPG IMG_3274.JPG IMG_3275.JPG IMG_3276.JPG IMG_3273.JPG
    Brappp!
    1989 300sx 1985 JS550(3)
    1988 X2 1997 Superjet

PWCToday Regular

Re: Dual Walbros on a 550?

I've never run a Walbro on a watercraft but I am one of the wierdos who runs one on a vintage snowmobile (and even among vintage snowmobile people Walbros are considered throw away and replace with a Tillotson or a round slide by most). My expirience is the biggest thing is to make sure there is no leaking between the plates. The Walbro only has four screws where any other carb has many. I basically hook up a pop off tester and hold the carb by my ear to listen for leaks, obviously you'll need to do this at lower than pop off pressure, and while you're at it you can check your pop off pressure. Use Brasso on a Q-tip in a drill to polish the needle seat if it doesn't pop off cleanly, and the little red rubber check valve thingy can be replaced with a part that is used in Holley carbs that is readily available, but I don't have the part number handy.

It's really important that the little progression holes that the throttle blade uncovers as it opens are clean, they are really small and gum up easily. Shine a light through to see if they are clear.

Yours appear to be in really nice shape, but no Walbro carb that I have ever dealt with has been a bolt on and go proposition they have all required some love in the form of cleaning and replacing crusty parts, but once it is working the way it's supposed to tuning is pretty much the same as a round body Mikuni. There are a lot more parts inside there though.

I have no idea about any of the stuff that is specific to your motor.

PWCToday Regular

The empty hole with the H is where they sometimes put the high speed screw on other models of Walbro carb, so it's nothing on yours. The fuel in is on the bottom of the square pump stack capped off red in your pic, the fuel return is the thing caped off white on the side of the bottom of the pump stack, and the fitting sticking out of the first plate on the side is the pulse line.

Thanks for the info Storbeck! Much appreciated!!
    Brappp!
    1989 300sx 1985 JS550(3)
    1988 X2 1997 Superjet

Thread Information