Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How hot does a waterbox get?

Last summer I blew an exhaust coupler from overheating.
    I *might* still have a waterflow problem but it's hard to tell with no hard temperature info in the manual.
    Running on the water hose in the driveway it runs frosty cool with a strong flow out the "pisser" but to me it looks weak running in the lake. Engine seems to stay cool but the exhaust pipe & waterbox get sizzling hot.

Anyone know actually how hot the surface temp of a waterbox should get in use?
    96 & 97 1100Zxi

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: How hot does a waterbox get?

I've used a temp gun on a few. I will see around 100* depending on the model.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

F or C?

I have such a gun and I'll compare my wife's zxi to mine to see the difference.

I've Velcroed a small digital readout to the top of the gauge pod with the sensor tucked under the rubber hold-down strap. That display maxxes out at 120C and I'm surpassing that.
    96 & 97 1100Zxi

100*F. Even on supercharged 4 strokes after a good shakedown run I only see 120*F.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

So from idle to a long run at WFO you can always hold your hand on the muffler?

If that's normal then my machine is definitely overheating.
    If I splash a little water on it it sizzles.

I get a very strong flow of water from the hull outlet, but weak out the pisser.
    The cooling system diagram is confusing to me because the pressurized water from the impeller splits with some going thru the stator & some thru the cylinders & head, then combine again in the expansion chamber (I think). It looks like I should be getting a lot more flow thru the waterbox.
    Last edited by guy48065; 06-15-2021 at 02:55 PM.
    96 & 97 1100Zxi

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Cliff's Avatar

If the ski in question has an overheat buzzer. Does it work? Does the buzzer's speaker work?

Does the cylinder head have a reusable o-ring type gasket like Sea Doo uses? If so, you can pull the head and check the cooling jackets around the cylinders for corrosion buildup.

What type of water do you predominately run in? Ocean, lake, river, backyard pool(s), kiddie pool(s) etc?

I don't know Kawasaki's...

Just trying to help.

I know on the 650 and 750 Kawasaki the weak or intermitant flow out the pisser is an indication of a blown head gasket. And the exhaust will get much too hot. You should NEVER be able to sizzle water on the waterbox.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Cliff's Avatar

^^^100% agree!

Sizzling water on the box is the definition of overheating. As well as burning couplers.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JSNate's Avatar

I don't like any part of the exhaust system to go north of 100*F... that includes the water box, chamber or head pipe. I have been very creative and patient when I set up water supply on various pipe set ups. I always find a way to optimize exhaust flow with the right amount of water supply. I pay a lot of attention to each supply line. The stinger water supply can be tweaked a number of ways without over drying the water box.
    Last edited by JSNate; 06-15-2021 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JSNate View Post
    I don't like any part of the exhaust system to go north of 100*F... that includes the water box, chamber or head pipe. I have been very creative and patient when I set up water supply on various pipe set ups. I always find a way to optimize exhaust flow with the right amount of water supply. I pay a lot of attention to each supply line. The stinger water supply can be tweaked a number of ways without over drying the water box.
    This is new territory for me. The pressurized water that splits with part flowing thru the cylinder & head water jackets & part to the stator: Is it 50/50 split on a stock motor or does the stator get much less? When the paths return the stator water enters the expansion chamber and the head water enters the head pipe.
    * Is the head pipe inlet into a water jacket and is that the water that exits the hull outlet?
    * Does the expansion inlet spray down into the exhaust gasses & is what cools the couplers & waterbox?

The purpose of the service manual diagram is to show where the hoses connect but there's no description of what's going on internally--and I haven't seen a description online. It seems unnecessarily complicated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by guy48065; 06-16-2021 at 08:09 AM.
    96 & 97 1100Zxi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information