Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Flow control valve on stinger

Just bought a flow control valve and for some reason i was under the impression that it limited the amount of water that was allowed to pass through. And could adjust the amount of water that was allowed to pass through.

But now that i have it, it looks like it just allows you to modify the popnoff pressure before it allows water to flow through.

So i guess my question is... Is that all ill need anyways? Or do i also care about how much water is being let into the stinger?
    Did i buy the wrong part for my riva wet pipe stinger?

If anyone can provide as much knowledge as a whole that would be amazing.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fox river pwc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Flow control valve on stinger

The very simplfied explanation:
    You don't want or need water dumping into the stinger and loading up the waterbox at idle. You DO want water going into the stinger and cooling the waterbox and hoses when are up on the powerband.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Yeah, I'm an @sshole, but I'm not a complete @sshole.

http://badgerlandjetpilots.com/

I don't come here to make enemies - only to identify them...

PWCToday Newbie

Okay. And off idle when in the power band, do i car about how much water is going into the stinger? And if so, wouldnt i want and adjustable pin hole on the other side of the flow control valve?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fox river pwc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You're getting into the "science" of drying out the exhaust. Ask 50 people about this and you will get 50 different opinions. What it boils down to is the balance between reliability and performance, and also how much bottom end power do you want to give up for a fraction of a mph of top speed. And then you also have to factor in dual or single cooling on the inlet side......

If you really want to find out what "works" you can restrict water to the stinger until you melt a hose or two and/or scorch a waterbox, then replace the damaged parts and return to a level of water flow that didn't melt hoses or scorch a waterbox.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Yeah, I'm an @sshole, but I'm not a complete @sshole.

http://badgerlandjetpilots.com/

I don't come here to make enemies - only to identify them...

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

Typically there is a jet or other restricting orifice In the stinger to limit the water going to the waterbox. We used old seats from mikuni carbs, usually a 2.5. The point of the flow control is to stop the water at idle, but let it pass when under power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

Quote Originally Posted by fox river pwc View Post
    You're getting into the "science" of drying out the exhaust. Ask 50 people about this and you will get 50 different opinions. What it boils down to is the balance between reliability and performance, and also how much bottom end power do you want to give up for a fraction of a mph of top speed. And then you also have to factor in dual or single cooling on

If you really want to find out what "works" you can restrict water to the stinger until you melt a hose or two and/or scorch a waterbox, then replace the damaged parts and return to a level of water flow that didn't melt hoses or scorch a waterbox.

very well said, if you havenít melted a hose then in my book you havenít pushed the envelope that hard. When you start drying her out and rpmís start a pulling. The fcv is hands down one of the best parts I have ever purchased. If youíre a super tuner you can get into add a jet to restrict the flow more or a n/s as Jonny stated.
    Last edited by octane114; 05-27-2021 at 11:07 PM.
    it is what it is . it's all good

Thread Information