Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

I dream skis

2000 slx1200. Loses spark. HELP!!! from polaris people

Helping a friend with his ski he bought it. Put it in the water 30 seconds later its lost spark. When we started to diagnose it. It had weak intermittent spark. But as we continued testing loses spark all together has bin a issue for a few years now. Were motivated to fix this week he has tested the wire harness, Bypassed the killswitch, he said the coil ohm tested bad replaced with oem coil. Problem still the same replaced stator with one from SBT. Still same problem. Should we assume its the CDI/computer box? If so anyone got any good fixes or ideas? Can it be rebuilt? Anyone have a replacement? Would really love to put this back together never did get to see what it would do would love to ride it. Already have any more cash into the ski then its worth so may as well see it through to the end. I usually only play with kawi's. Only polaris I've every had was a old 780. And I just bought it for the trailer. But its bin a trooper thats why I'm surprised how much trouble these 1200 seem to be

Frequent Poster

Re: 2000 slx1200. Loses spark. HELP!!! from polaris people

General rule is if you replaced everything in the ignition system and you're still having problems it's probably the CDI. I don't think there's a good way to test one but I could be wrong. Your 780 was a Fuji (Robin Heavy Industries AKA Subaru) engine and the 1200 is a domestic engine Polaris designed themselves. The SL hull is fun but the 1200 is actually slower than the Pro 785 and it doesn't have as an aggressive as a hull as a Pro. Polaris had some stumbling when they designed their domestic engines at first before they sorted them out and then just stopped making them.
    90 Superjet - Coffman pipe, other mods
    98 Polaris Pro 785 - stock graphics, just ported and polished
    98 Polaris Pro 785 - black top, cylinders milled .020, ported, polished, watcon cooling
    95 Kawasaki 750 sxi - R&D pipe, ported, polished, bored 1.5mm over
    01 Polaris 600 sc xp sled - Stock

I dream skis

Just went out and played with it a bit more I tapped the cdi and when I did it sparked for a second. Then I read the if you use a heat gun and heat up the cdi it may come back. So I did that. And ever since then it has sparked on all three everything. 100% so it looks like I need a cdi. Got any recommendations? Sbt sells what looks like maybe a refurbished oem cdi? Says its programed for that ski. Whats my best option. Dont wanna have to do this again

Frequent Poster

It's that or something off ebay. Though it's kind of weird for CDIs to fail, they are usually one of the last things to go, so you might be ok saving money on a used one. I've never heard of the heat gun trick, but I do do computer stuff and sometimes putting computer parts in the oven and heating them up fixes them permanently because the heat re-activates the loose solder connections. Part of me says to run what you have for now as long as you can get it back to shore. A used on one ebay is about $200 and a new one is $400+.
    90 Superjet - Coffman pipe, other mods
    98 Polaris Pro 785 - stock graphics, just ported and polished
    98 Polaris Pro 785 - black top, cylinders milled .020, ported, polished, watcon cooling
    95 Kawasaki 750 sxi - R&D pipe, ported, polished, bored 1.5mm over
    01 Polaris 600 sc xp sled - Stock

I dream skis

Yeah idk if I wanna take that rick in it failing again but maybe. Seem like the had proms with the oem stator and cdis from what I'm reading and polaris sold upgraded units but I can even find those anymore. Seems like alot of parts are discontinued and people are using 1050 electronics

PWCToday Regular

The ignition update kits made the older engines (700/900/1050) like the 1200. The 1200 never came with the older style ignition system, so you find an update kit for a 1200. An update kit for a 1050 would work in a 1200, but the timing curve may be a little different.

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk

I dream skis

Quote Originally Posted by octane972 View Post
    The ignition update kits made the older engines (700/900/1050) like the 1200. The 1200 never came with the older style ignition system, so you find an update kit for a 1200. An update kit for a 1050 would work in a 1200, but the timing curve may be a little different.

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk
    Okay see i though it was the same style ignition I was under the impression you could use the 1050 cdi on the 1200 ebox without changing anything. I new they had a different timing curve but from what I read they still ran pretty good. Currently doing the top end on the 1200 getting ready for reassembly. Sbt has a good deal on the cdi box. Anyone had good luck with them? I also need two of the bolts that hold the pump on. I had two of mine break on removal

Thread Information