User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

1996 GTX's haven't run since 2011 - time to ge them running again

I have a pair of Sea-doos that I've had for probably 15-20 years, second owner. They were parked and winterized in 2011 and haven't run since. They were stored outside in the same spot in the sun under some really good covers all this time. They look like new when cleaned up and only have about 120 hours each on them. I do all my maintenance myself and I know I rebuilt the carbs on one ski, but being as they are twins I don't remember which one it was. I noticed the display on one was bad and the other was going bad last time I started them so I need to repair the LCD screens, I have the material and have seen a video or two so that's on the list of to do's. I have one of the machines in my garage on a PWC dolly and plan to siphon the gas then put new gas in and agitate it with a low pressure air hose for a while to clean the tank then siphon it out again. I plan to replace the gray fuel lines and rebuild the carbs and replace the fuel filters. I'll check / replace the spark plugs. I cleaned the rave valves years ago, will check again.

Anything else I should check? Any advice or good video links to help guide me to getting these things running again?

Any advice on where to get the fuel lines? I bought what was supposed to be really good translucent blue fuel lines years ago, had 50ft and opened the box the other day and the lines were very sticky on the outside, I tossed them since the inside would probably have been deteriorated as well.

Thanks for any advice you can provide. Mike

Kansas City, Missouri... cuz when the icecaps melt, my house becomes ocean-front property...bytches.

Re: 1996 GTX's haven't run since 2011 - time to ge them running again

I use Gates Barricade fuel line on all my skis. I wouldn't chance anything: pull all carbs and clean them. Just my $.02, but after sitting that long, it's worth it just for the peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."

-Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Rides: 2 x 96XP // 99XPL // 02RX Currently rebuilding
    I love my CanDooPro! Take that stealerships!! www.candoopro.com

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

You'll also need to pull the pumps to replace wear rings.....they dry rot, and change pump lube. And since they are '96 models, slide under the trailer and unbolt the intake grates. Once out of the way grab the pump shoe and give it a tug. Very common to find them loose. Then you start chasing cavitation issues that will have you pulling out your hair.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Resident Guru

I would advise against using an "air jet" to agitate your tank cleaning gas. The air jet may generate enough of a static charge to create a spark, and well, you know what follows. FIRE.

Quote Originally Posted by rdjeep View Post
    I would advise against using an "air jet" to agitate your tank cleaning gas. The air jet may generate enough of a static charge to create a spark, and well, you know what follows. FIRE.
    I am planning to use just a rubber hose with low pressure air, just enough to move the gas a little. I see they have those siphon hoses with brass end for siphoning fuel, I would think shaking that thing would have a better chance of causing a problem... although it's brass which doesn't spark it you strike it.

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 6.45.48 PM.png

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

You could just add some fresh gas or acetone or something and go for a 'spirited' drive. Should be enough agitation to get it done.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Thread Information