User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

1994 Seadoo SPI starter running

I tried to start this jetski and starter began running on its own. I took off the shutoff lanyard from the switch but the starter kept cranking. The battery terminal broke off and removing the cable was the only way to stop it from engaging the starter. I wonder if it could an issue with the start button faulty wiring or button malfunction ir could there be a more serious problem.
    What should i test to determine the cause?
    The thing that gets me concerned is that the shutoff switch was off and the starter should not been engaged with either one of the buttons off.
    Thank you.

Kansas City, Missouri... cuz when the icecaps melt, my house becomes ocean-front property...bytches.

Re: 1994 Seadoo SPI starter running

First place I would look would be a faulty starter solenoid. The ski is 26 years old and its possible that the starter solenoid contacts are worn out.

However, what would happen if you unplugged the solenoid two wire control connector and left the cables connected to the starter and then reconnected the battery. If the cables spark and the engine tries to crank, it's the starter solenoid, otherwise you may have a MPEM problem which is commanding a start signal when your aren't applying the Start/Stop button on the handlebar.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."

-Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Rides: 2 x 96XP // 99XPL // 02RX Currently rebuilding
    I love my CanDooPro! Take that stealerships!! www.candoopro.com

Re: 1994 Seadoo SPI starter running

Quote Originally Posted by SpitAndDirt View Post
    First place I would look would be a faulty starter solenoid. The ski is 26 years old and its possible that the starter solenoid contacts are worn out.

However, what would happen if you unplugged the solenoid two wire control connector and left the cables connected to the starter and then reconnected the battery. If the cables spark and the engine tries to crank, it's the starter solenoid, otherwise you may have a MPEM problem which is commanding a start signal when your aren't applying the Start/Stop button on the handlebar.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Thank you very much. Sorry did not respond earlier, did not get a chance to read my mail. I purchased the solenoid, will let know when i replace it.

Thread Information