Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: X2/900 build

PWCToday Regular

Re: X2/900 build

took the bottom end to work to get opened, the case was in great condition and so was the crank, im torn between rebuilding the crank or not. ive never spun a new crank so i dont have a point of reference

20201202_122925.jpg20201202_123046.jpg20201202_123049.jpg20201202_123921.jpg20201202_123928.jpg20201202_123954.jpg20201202_124203.jpg

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar

The specs for the crank are in the shop manuals. A couple of simple measurements will tell you the condition.
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

PWCToday Regular

got more parts in, surfbrace, prop, hood vents/scoops. just waiting on my jugs just to be bored 1mm over and ill be sending off to be blasted, and maybe painted... i just now found out... like 10 minutes ago that paint doesnt allow heat to dissapate as much a bare metal engine... the difference in some cases is near 25' in some parts, thats huge! anywho.... i watched a vid of a gen2 X2 and he had penta pissers! how does that even work? mindblown

PWCToday Guru

Quote Originally Posted by CA550sx123 View Post
    got more parts in, surfbrace, prop, hood vents/scoops. just waiting on my jugs just to be bored 1mm over and ill be sending off to be blasted, and maybe painted... i just now found out... like 10 minutes ago that paint doesnt allow heat to dissapate as much a bare metal engine... the difference in some cases is near 25' in some parts, thats huge! anywho.... i watched a vid of a gen2 X2 and he had penta pissers! how does that even work? mindblown
    ceramic coat those cylinders, will help in dissipating heat
    '88 & '89 650sx
    '91 X2
    '92 750sx
    '98 XL 1200 couch
    '07 Ultra LX-parting out haha

PWCToday Regular

what should i be using to bond the case together? i got my prop off, thinking about doing dual cooling, or upsizing the brass fitting on the pump and making everything 3/8

For the crank, it would be a good idea to have someone check it out who knows cranks a problem here won't just be a bad day, it could very well cut your engine in half and ruin all of your hard work.

If you're not willing to take it to someone, it's a good idea to check each bearing individually. Turn them and listen for any odd noises. Also turn them slowly and see if you feel any rough spots. This is almost an art form as dry bearings will make noise even if they are good, and well lubed bearings can hide existing issues.

Check each rod end for markings. Most commonly, a bad rod (top end) will have slight pitting or running from one opening of the hole to the other. it should be an extremely smooth, almost perfect surface with slight color difference between where the needle bearing runs and the very outer edges. If you see any abnormal markings look you should consider checking further, if you can feel anything, time for new rods.

Checking the bottom of the rods is a PITA with the crank out and most people can't get a repeatable reading. If you can't get the same reading over and over, chances are your readings are inaccurate. I made a video on now to check big end clearance https://youtu.be/SP_EvAVkCug

As for sealant. I use LocTite 518 anaerobic or Permatex 51813 anaerobic sealant, but I'm also a huge fan of Yamabond or any of the other OEM equivalents. Lots of people suggest one of the Tribond sealants, and it appears to be the same as Yamabond.

I haven't played with the cooling system on one of these yet, but I'm sure I will be making modifications to my 1100 system before it goes in my X2. PWC cooling systems are so stupid !��

PWCToday Regular

So i went down to the hardware store and all the fittings for my water cooling are huge, the threaded portion of the fitting is giant, were can i find the appropriate size?

1/4 npt is close to the 1/2 hose size cooling lines. Will need to retap your thread if you use npt. Stock kawasaki is metric thread, it close but slightly different than the stuff off the hardware store shelf.

I've found 1/4 npt at Home Depot and Ace Hardware
    Last edited by 2strokesmoke; 12-12-2020 at 10:37 AM.

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by 2strokesmoke View Post
    1/4 npt is close to the 1/2 hose size cooling lines. Will need to retap your thread if you use npt. Stock kawasaki is metric thread, it close but slightly different than the stuff off the hardware store shelf.

I've found 1/4 npt at Home Depot and Ace Hardware
    sweet, thank you sir

PWCToday Regular

Any idea how big a carb adapter i need for my carbs? theyre stock from a 1996 900zxi, keihin carbs, i cant find a serial, what size adapters?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information