• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nemiro
    Frequent Poster
    • Jul 2007

1997 Challenger 4-Stroking

I am trying to fix up a basket case of a Challenger boat. It had previously sunk, and was not taken care of. We have repaired most things, and at least have it running again. The original engine was more or less a small boat anchor, so I cobbled an engine together from pieces/parts I had on the shelf, for the most part. The bottom end I wound up using is an RFI bottom end. I adapted the MAG housing, flywheel, magnet and stator/pickup, and got what was needed to make it a running engine. The top end is 97 carb 787, along with the rotary valve cover, and carbs. The original carbs were more corrosion than metal, so I acquired another set from another Challenger, rebuilt them with SBT rebuild kits, and new 1.5mm Needle/seats. The pilot jets installed were 65, but most everything I could find called for a 70. The Main jets are 142.5. I set pop off pressure at about 30psi, which should be in the middle of the range I found listed for other PWCs of the same vintage. Got the engine running, and it will start and idle OK, but as soon as you advance the throttle, it begins 4 stroking terribly, and will not rev cleanly. I have tried both the 65 and 70 pilot jets.

I found TDC (and marked the PTO flywheel), and rechecked the rotary valve timing, and it looks good. Put a timing light on it, and it sits at about 22 degrees at 3000 rpm. Timing and ignition pulses look steady and even at all speeds the engine will operate at. Tried replacing the spark plugs and the wires, no change. Plugs come out looking clean, but soaked with fuel. I have been through the carbs several times, and I cannot find an obvious issue. Does this with water running from the hose, or even if the water is cutoff. Tried choking it, to see if anything would change, and all it does is slow the engine down a bit. Tried hand pumping the accel pump, to see the effect of dumping raw fuel, and saw no effect.

I am thinking that possible problems are that the pop off pressure may need to be higher, and also that there could be some obstruction in the muffler somewhere. Lastly, the only other thing that could make sense is that I installed the pistons backwards, and the window of the piston is facing wrong, but I highly doubt I would have done that (or that it would run at all this way). Looking for any suggestions or input more experienced folks may have.
  • nemiro
    Frequent Poster
    • Jul 2007

Re: 1997 Challenger 4-Stroking

Also, the pistons installed are Wiseco for carb'd 787, with 97 carb'd cylinders, exhaust, etc.

Comment

• Myself
      PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
      • Jun 2006

Watch battery voltage with a digital multimeter when you try to rev it......what does it do?
      http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
      +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
      ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
      light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Comment

• nemiro
        Frequent Poster
        • Jul 2007

Will do. Suspect a stator/regulator problem?

Comment

• Bionic racing
          • Aug 2016

Have you owned a sea doo boat before ?
          Foreword controls must be engaged to get out of safety mode , four cycle limp mode
          Start in neutral
          Move foreword control to foreward position
          Rev up engine

Comment

• nemiro
            Frequent Poster
            • Jul 2007

Many PWCs, this is our first boat. Forgot to mention, all of those safeties are bypassed, with a loop, which would cause it to think it is in neutral all of the time. So, given that, could sure cause exactly what you are describing. I will give it a shot. Thanks!
            Last edited by nemiro; 10-19-2020, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• Myself
              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Bionic racing View Post
              Have you owned a sea doo boat before ?
              Foreword controls must be engaged to get out of safety mode , four cycle limp mode
              Start in neutral
              Move foreword control to foreward position
              Rev up engine
              Bionic.......good call!
              http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
              +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
              ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
              light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Comment

• nemiro
                Frequent Poster
                • Jul 2007

Many thanks, Bionic! That was the problem, definitively! My neutral switch was broken, so I bypassed it with a loop. That allowed the engine to start, but as you noted, the MPEM would see the boat as remaining in neutral, setting up the rev limit. I started the boat, removed the loop, and then engine functions as it should. Thank you again for answering my post!

Comment

• Bionic racing
                  • Aug 2016

10/4

Comment

Working...
                  X