• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X2Onthewater
    PWCToday Regular
    • Oct 2019

Re: From ZERO to 46 MPH in 11 Months - My X2 Project

I often feel rushed when I am working. I tend to take calculated risks, and with experience, you get to know what things you can skip over. That being said, I have found there to be great value in chasing threads on anything that I am rebuilding. It makes things go back together easier and just makes the overall experience more pleasant.

For many years, mid 90s, I used a lot of Loctite 515 gasket maker. I found out recently that they now make a 518 and that Permatex also makes an anaerobic sealant. I like using 515, but it was going to take a while to get some, so I ordered the Permatex ... Then a tube of each showed up on the same day. I now have a lifetime supply of sealant.

I have made a videos about this and much more of my build. If you care to check it out here is a link relevant to this post. Spoiler alert - If you look through my videos you will see I am over a year behind posting on here and that I have lots of other projects on the go. https://youtu.be/6XELNDmlTPg

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chasing threads.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	737.9 KB
ID:	4394228 Click image for larger version

Name:	Permatex.jpg
Size:	785.1 KB
ID:	4394229 Click image for larger version

Name:	crank lube.jpg
Size:	699.3 KB
ID:	4394230 Click image for larger version

Name:	Case on.jpg
Size:	802.4 KB
ID:	4394231

Comment

• X2Onthewater
      PWCToday Regular
      • Oct 2019

As dead as this thread is, I'm going to beat the horse a little more. I have some more interesting projects on the go, but I kinda want to get this one up to speed before I get into anything else.

I've talked about the port blockage on the 650 before and never really got any response. My 650 had over 2mm of port blockage when the piston was at TDC as seen in the photo. I made a spacer as I was thinking about taking a chance on running crazy port timing and decking the head and cylinder to regain some compression. In the end I decided not to do this as I would have had to cut the cylinder that I had just spent weeks porting and boring myself.

After final assembly I had .060" clearance.The plan after building the engine this time is to run it through breakin, sort out any bugs that come along and then come back and reduce that squish to something a little more risky.

Name:	Base spacer.jpg
Size:	779.9 KB
ID:	4394239 Click image for larger version

Name:	Port blockage.jpg
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	4394238 Click image for larger version

Name:	Huge squish.jpg
Size:	631.4 KB
ID:	4394240 Click image for larger version

Name:	Head on squish .060%22.jpg
Size:	580.1 KB
ID:	4394241

Comment

• X2Onthewater
        PWCToday Regular
        • Oct 2019

Do you guys have a tool that you rarely use... and when you do use it, you ask yourself why you don't use it more often ? For me, one of those tools is my electric cable hoist. I have to open my attic hatch and lower it down, so most of the time I just end up lifting things by hand.

My ski had some pretty nasty wiring so I pulled a bunch of it out and rewired it right down to the stator coils. A little excessive, but now I have to take total responsibility for electrical gremlins that are sure to pop up. Or blame my cat.

After a few issues were sorted out (flywheel magnet installed with the poles in the wrong orientation) I got the engine fired up after several months of being completely apart. It's always a good feeling when an engine comes back to life.

I have a YouTube channel where I made videos about this process, as well as lots of other stuff along the way. Feel free to check it out. This is a video of the first start https://youtu.be/UPV6UbHjh3g

Name:	Lifting engine.jpg
Size:	369.8 KB
ID:	4394242 Click image for larger version

Name:	old wiring.jpg
Size:	709.5 KB
ID:	4394243 Click image for larger version

Name:	new wiring.jpg
Size:	677.9 KB
ID:	4394244 Click image for larger version

Name:	It's running.jpg
Size:	644.0 KB
ID:	4394245

Comment

• ZacFlyer
          Frequent Poster
          • Aug 2016

This is an excellent thread. You seem to value hard work and documentation like myself. I enjoy a well-written and documented build process. Keep up the good work.
          ‘80 SurfJet 9ft White Build Here: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=492092&p=4550438#post4550438
          ‘82 JS440 / 650 Swap Build Here: (Sold)
          http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=491239&p=4543624#post4543624
          '92 750sx Barn Find Build Here:
          http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=493981&p=4561610#post4561610
          '95 Yamaha Wave Raider 700
          '97 Yamaha SuperJet Build Here: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=494510&p=4564967#post4564967
          '16 Yamaha VXR

Comment

• CA550sx123
            Frequent Poster
            • Sep 2019

drop a photo of what this hull looks like now! hahaha

Comment

• X2Onthewater
              PWCToday Regular
              • Oct 2019

HAHA... talk about a spoiler alert !

I did some more work on it today / this evening. actually got to the point where I can start adding stuff instead of removing

Comment

• X2Onthewater
                PWCToday Regular
                • Oct 2019

Thanks for the support / comment, Zac, I appreciate it.

Comment

• X2Onthewater
                  PWCToday Regular
                  • Oct 2019

I think that's about it for this thread. I have lots more to post, but I will post in other threads.

I made a video of my first test ride. It was very much a last minute thing, we got to the lake very late and I was focused on what might be falling off or failing, so there isn't much dialogue. https://youtu.be/X0ainWgJDms

Comment

Working...
                  X