Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

From ZERO to 46 MPH in 11 Months - My X2 Project

About a year ago, I purchased a 1990 X2 that had been sitting for a long time and rode it once before tearing it down. What was supposed to be some general maintenance / basic performance mods, turned into a display of obsessive, borderline psychotic behaviour. I tend to get caught up on one idea or thing and go with it for a while.

I have done lots of engine work, some fibreglass work, basic maintenance stuff and some custom parts like the best trim lever set up ever and the most awesome surf brace that I've ever seen... let the attacks begin 😂

Now that that has been said. I'm not sure where to start this thread. Full disclosure, I have been working on my X2 for over a year now and have been riding and testing it since June 23rd of 2020. I have documented some of this on my YouTube channel. For anyone who is interested in checking that out, I started a series when I first went to purchase the X2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhp0...JoelArseneault

I should also warn you all in advance that I didn't document the first of this project very well as I wasn't sure if I would follow through, and I had been making BMX videos... As the series goes on, I get more into detail. Also, I tend to experiment a LOT and obsess over things that may not matter...

I will shut the heck up now and start posting stuff from the beginning. A few photos of the evening I brought her home.

unload this .jpgsecond view under the hood.jpg1st under the hood .jpg first start .jpg

Re: From ZERO to 46 MPH in 11 Months - My X2 Project

When I got the Ski, the steering had been modified (lowered) and was very loose at the bushings but also because of a modification that they had done. I made some new bushings but didn't really know enough about X2s to know that the steering had been chopped apart.

I know you can't tell from the photo, but after making some new bushings and putting everything back together, it was considerably less sketchy.

As excited as I was to get out and test my first and only Ski, I decided it was a good idea to replace the brittle old fuel and coolant lines before heading out onto the water. It was October 7th in Alberta and we had already had almost a foot of snow in September, so the water was COLD and I didn't want to do much swimming.

I'm going to say that our PWC transportation methods are less than ideal? My Ski was in the back of my truck while my buddies X2 and Wave Jammer were on a wire mesh utility trailer.

I made a video of my first test. It wasn't very exciting or eventful but here's the link if anyone is interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzot...JoelArseneault

actual steering mod.jpg why won't you upload.jpg new hoses .jpg not ideal.jpg

I'm having a real hard time uploading photos. Most of the time I select my file, click upload and nothing happens. If I refresh or change the name of the file that seems to allow me to upload up to 4 images... but it seems very glitchy. Am I doing something wrong or is there a trick I should know?

A few days after my first test ride, I decided it was too cold to ride and took a closer look at my purchase. It has lots of little things that I had missed as well as some larger issues that I'm upset that I didn't see at the time of purchase. Either way, it's mine now and I must deal with it.

When someone chooses this type of wiring as a solution, you know you're in for a treat when it comes to maintenance and repairs that they have done. I also found the throttle lever to be broken and the spark plugs to be different colours, despite it being a single carb. I have a photo of the engine once I had popped it out, and some of you who know the 650 engine well will likely be able to spot problem right away. I didn't know till I split the cases...

I made a video about my initial findings and a lot more. Unfortunately I'm having a real struggle uploading photos along with my posts, so I'm cutting this post short.

Questionable wiring.jpgCracked throttle.jpgsingle carb different color .jpgthis is a.jpg

After removing my intake manifold you can see there is an impact mark from what looks like a steel hammer or possibly and end mill mark? There is also some tunnel porting in the cases, but no porting elsewhere. In the 3rd photo you can see the porting is a little rough. Perhaps better than factory ... The head has also been milled and appears to have had the domes cut.

Is it common, to do tunnel porting and not touch any of the other ports, or do you guys think that they probably wrecked a ported cylinder and replaced it with a stock one?

damage.jpg why.jpg this.jpghead.jpg

I started to do some port mapping, and just by doing some quick measurements / observations, I could tell right away that something wasn't right. With both pistons sitting at bottom dead centre, they are not sitting at the same place relative to the exhaust port floor. Right away I assumed a bent rod... After ruling that out, I suspected the base or cases were milled and a poor job was done.... anyone want to guess at the actual answer? ... before looking at the next paragraph. (I started to clean up one port before I decided to take a photo. That's why one is black and one is not)

The sleeves appear to have been cast in place with 2mm between the mag and pto side... After looking through this engine, I am convinced that they had just enough metal to pour one more engine and they were like "should we do one more... we might not have enough... yeaaaaaah, lets do it... it'll be funny" The voids and casting imperfections are awful...

I made a tool to do some clean up / porting on the exhaust system. Yes... it does look dangerous.

BDC.jpg one side.jpg the other side.jpg tool.jpg

PWCToday Regular

I subbed and watch all ur videos, i asked about ur trim set up after seeing ur vid, ill post in the forum when im ready to start my 900 x2 build

Were you the person who was asking if I would be able to copy my set up and sell it? Thanks for subscribing and watching !!

Cheers

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by X2Onthewater View Post
    Were you the person who was asking if I would be able to copy my set up and sell it? Thanks for subscribing and watching !!

Cheers
    YES! ahahaha

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Not common to do any case work without doing cylinders too. That is just barely tunnel ported, there is a lot more material that can still be safely removed. The Kawi castings are in fact terribly flawed from the factory inside the ports. I use a long carbide burr in the dremel to do basic cleanup.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Thanks, Myself.

I have done a fair bit of porting in the past (many many years ago) and I don't think I've ever seen anything that started out as bad as this engine. I have since seen a few 650 and 750 engines (heads and cylinders) and I'm left feeling like mine was particularly bad... There was even material missing / a small void from around the spark plug in the combustion chamber.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information