Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Frequent Poster

Re: From ZERO to 46 MPH in 11 Months - My X2 Project

what jb weld are you using? i need to use jb weld on the water jackets on my jugs, haha, really tho corrosion made the outer wall thin, it wont be too susceptible to the exhaust heat on the outside walls so i think jb weld will suffice

Hey, I used the Original Steel Reinforced JB Weld, but they also offer a Marine Weld that may be better for using it in the water jackets.

PS. If you didn't know already, this is Joel ARseneault from YouTube - Just checking out your project. Pretty exciting stuff.

Once I had the engine out and most of my porting work done, I turned my attention to the hull of the X2. I knew that it had been painted (poorly) and I saw that someone had done a little fibreglass repair... sadly, the repair / damage was a lot worse than I thought.

I have a video series on YouTube about my build, it includes some of the FG story along with my repairs. https://youtu.be/VzB4_pP3ijY

Some of the repair work I was able to simply pull out with my fingers, and some of it took a little more coaxing, but none of it was done properly. As you can see from the photos, whoever did the repairs. at some point decided that Bondo was a good resin for fibreglass.... here's a pro tip.... it's not.

By the time I was done peeling out poorly laid FG I had removed 3 pounds of material that was doing NOTHING. There is still a LOT of bondo and shady work on the outside of the hull, but I will be repairing the inside and then redoing the outside when I decide it's time to paint. I'm not sure what they ran into with this X2... but it probably should have been scrapped. The whole nose is smashed up.... I guess, like me, they probably didn't have money to replace the hull. Here in western Canada it's actually more about access to another hull.

Engine out .jpg repair.jpg sketchy.jpg bondo.jpg pop out.jpg more of the same.jpg three pounds.jpg damage.jpg

Frequent Poster

hey man, whats the thread pitch and length of the engine mount bolts? i lost mine! help me please!

Sorry for the delayed response. The ones that thread into the mounts are 10 x 1.5 pitch and 25mm long (they use a lock washer and thick plate washer that is about 25mm in diameter) The bolts that mount to the hull are 8 x 1.25 pitch and about 20mm long.

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by X2Onthewater View Post
    Sorry for the delayed response. The ones that thread into the mounts are 10 x 1.5 pitch and 25mm long (they use a lock washer and thick plate washer that is about 25mm in diameter) The bolts that mount to the hull are 8 x 1.25 pitch and about 20mm long.
    thanks bro, hope ya feel better! bring that swap action out this way too!

Thanks for the well wishes ! It's getting better every day. Concussions are no joke.

Wondering if I should get into the 1100 swap on here right away or wait until I have the engine built and then get into the swap details. I guess, based on your build, I should start with the engine build.

My head is having a hard time focusing on details and dealing with too much screen time, so that's slowing progress a lot.

I don't claim to be a body repair guy, and this was my first time ever getting into fibreglass (SMC) repairs this in depth, but I thought I would share some of it with you guys anyway.

A few things that I learned very fast from this experience.

1. Epoxy is worth the extra $$ just due to the fact that it doesn't stink up your garage for months. I know it's still harmful to breathe the fumes, but it's much more pleasant to use than polyester resin. That stuff is just nasty. Both in application and sanding afterwards, epoxy for the win.

2. Using plastic to make a template of your patch area takes extra time, and I'm usually rushing to get things done, but it saves so much time when cutting out patches and afterwards - as you have a lot less sanding to do when your patch fits correctly.

3. If you have a decent compressor (I built one last winter) the best tools in the world are mini sanders when you're working in tight spots. I have a 2" orbital and a finger belt sander and these things are amazing! They save so much time. You can pick them up on amazon or at a place like Harbour Freight, or Princess Auto if you are in Canada. These tools save so much time and do such a great job. Long gone are the days when these tools cost hundreds of dollars. I think I spent less than $100 for both of them put together.

While I was in there doing repairs ... and there were a lot of repairs, I also decided to fill the strap holes, as I never intend to use the strap.

If you want to see more about my struggles, feel free to check out the video that I made about it on YouTube. https://youtu.be/VzB4_pP3ijY

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 11.47.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 11.47.38 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 11.47.22 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 11.51.13 PM.png

Here are some more photos of my FG / SMC repair work.

I plan on refinishing the outside of the hull, but for now, the plan is just to make this thing ... less likely to snap in half and sink.

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 11.52.23 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 11.52.44 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 11.49.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 11.49.35 PM.png

I had the brilliant idea (sarcasm) to remove some weight from my flywheel using my lathe. I made a mandrel and removed some material. Oh... Spoiler alert. I'm running a stock, uncut oem flywheel...

I decided to remove the magnets to not get junk all over them. They were smashed to pieces, so I used the flywheel as a practice run. I got another flywheel from Ebay and decided to remove those magnets, convinced that my previous flywheel had just been abused and the "new" one would be fine... It wasn't. Flywheel #3 I put glue in around the magnets to dampen vibrations and figured that when I peeled it out, it would pull the metal junk out with it.

Most of the chips came out with the glue BUT that wasn't good enough for me. I blew it off with compressed air, and when it didn't come perfectly clean, guess what I did. That's right. I removed the magnets. Stubborn / stupid and borderline insane. I finally gave up on that idea, and yes, I know there are plenty of ways to keep shavings out while machining.

I moved on to rebuilding the pump and trying to bore out my own cylinders on my milling machine. Not ideal. I would not recommend this at all, but it did kinda work for me.

Flywheel fail.jpg Fail flywheel 2 .jpg GIVE up.jpg Boring .jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information