Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: From ZERO to 46 MPH in 11 Months - My X2 Project

In my last post I mentioned a special tool that I made but I didn't explain it very well. It is basically a specialty tool that I made and used for cleaning up the inner bores of the exhaust system. The "problem" with doing this with a burr or sanding drum is 1. It's time consuming and 2. Unless you do this all the time, you will have a tendency to get stuck in a groove ... while trying to remove a casting mark, it is easy to make a ditch beside the imperfection you are trying to remove. This makes surfaces uneven and lumpy. Eeew. This tool spins out and conforms to the general shape but still removes material. That being said... I did spend about a full day with a home made chisel scraping away at the worst part fo the casting imperfections in the cones before attacking them with this tool. Photo 1. Before of my exhaust cone. 2. Me using the tool.

As you will see from the photos, the end result of my exhaust ports, done with burrs and sanding drums, was pretty decent with the exception of the void between the casting and the sleeve. This example is AFTER removing 2mm of material.... raising my port height 2mm.... Not at all what I wanted to do (I should have scrapped these jugs and got new ones)

If anyone has read this far. If you have a 650 engine that is apart, put the piston at BDC and look into the exhaust port and tell me how much of the port is being blocked by the piston. Mine are 3mm.... I made a 3mm base spacer, but that would raise my ports 5mm in total and .... well... that would make for a bit of a screamer.

I have a lot more detailed information in the video that I made about this. Here is the link if you are interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZiT...JoelArseneault

Expansion.jpg using.jpg okay.jpg voids.jpg

After every porting job, I swear that I am done with it and I will never do one that crazy again... I continued with the tunnel porting, making it both more intense an also smoother transitions, removed casting marks from the back sides of the sleeves, threaded and filled the drain holes with JB weld, removed casting marks from the cases, removed all casting imperfections from all of the exhaust components... So now let's move on to something less intense.

Powder coating ! I don't have the proper gear for this, and I never really have, but I have been doing it for almost 20 years, on and off, and have had very good results. This time around I had to do a lot of sand blasting and built my own insane air compressor... and then waited for a sale that never came on a sand blasting booth... Apparently I hate myself and don't value my time, because I used a rubber maid bin as a booth.... it was miserable, but I got the parts cleaned up. I then decided to pick up a free oven, that had caught on fire, from an alley way at 1am, to stick with the sketchy theme.

I use the Eastwood HotCoat system from 20 ish years ago, and it works well... but you need to work around the weaknesses.

The following photos are of my blasted parts, some small parts being coated, my jugs mid coating (calm down fellas) and finally a whole munch of completed parts. I made a video about this process. Here is the link if you are interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyqV...JoelArseneault

preheat.jpg coating.jpg jugs.jpg assy.jpg

I just realized that have a few photos of some of the clean up / porting work that I did. Mostly on the exhaust and a few of the tunnel porting. Here are a few photos of the before and after of the (b-pipe ?) I don't know jet ski lingo.

befores.jpg beforeb.jpg afters.jpg afterb.jpg

I've done lots of porting in the past, but it's been several years and I didn't have a Dremel when I got started. While I shopped around for what I wanted (what I could afford) I started the job with hand tools and work for a week with sandpaper and the tools shown here. If you are really stubborn, it's amazing what you can do with a sharpened flat screw driver. I also used several files and a wood chisel.

I did end up with a Dremel, some burrs and sanding drums as well as some polishing things.

tools.jpg tunnelB.jpg tunnelA.jpg reedin.jpg

Here is a photo of the expansion cone before, after some of the crud is removed, the tool that i used to scrape away at the casting marks and the results.

beforeblk.jpg comecleanup.jpg scratch.jpg almost.jpg

PWCToday Regular

Dang, this is a lot of work

Haha... Yes, it sure is. Not the sort of thing that you can really pay someone to do (to this extent) unless you have stupid money. This is the sort of thing that you have to do because, in some twisted strange way, you enjoy it.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

This is why for a full case and cylinder port job, it costs $500-1k depending upon the engine.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

... and when you consider the tools, skills, time and supplies required, that's a bargain.

Without sounding totally insane, I will share with you all some of the mods I did to the cases and gloss over the fact that I machined off some of the casting marks on the outside of the cases as well as the torque sequence numbers.

I decided that I don't like the blanking plate for the case drain. Instead I drilled and threaded the holes and used JB Weld to glue bolts in and then filled the voids inside the case.

The last photo is of what happened when I tested "high heat" masking tape for powder coating. Both of these tapes were from Amazon and rated for powder coating, but as you can see the green tape had serious issues ... it also left a residue behind that had to be cleaned off with parts cleaner. The brown tape did not deform and left no glue behind at all.

Drilling .jpg Tapping.jpg JB Weld.jpg Tape.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information