Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Does Yamaha use a wear ring?

Greetings all. Just scored a pair of old Yahama wave runners and am going to bring them back to life. One I already have back in the water but one needs some work. It runs good on land [dont they all ] but in the water it acts like it has a bunch of trash in the impeller. Engine seems plenty powerful but when you accelerate the ski gets louder not faster. When this happens with my Sea doo I know I have some Lilly pads sucked up in it. Clean the grate and go. This one acts just like that but grate is clear. I would guess wear ring if Seadoo but I donít know a lot about Waverunners and the differences. I tried a google search but not much luck. It is a 1990. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Re: Does Yamaha use a wear ring?

Yes.

Basically all PWC jet pumps have the same components. Pump stator vein section, impeller, wear ring, reduction nozzle.

Sounds like you are experiencing cavitation. Cavitation can come from many things, bad/out of spec impeller, bad / out of spec wear ring, maybe even something wrong or missing in the intake track.

You need to disassemble and inspect.

I have good used freshwater parts here if you need.

John
    watcon@watcon.com
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for the reply John. I’ve never taken that assembly apart before. Is it fairly straight forward or are there any tricks to the disassembly.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toqwik View Post
    Thanks for the reply John. I’ve never taken that assembly apart before. Is it fairly straight forward or are there any tricks to the disassembly.
    I always strongly suggest getting a shop manual for your machine, it will give you all the specs, and needed steps to do all service repairs.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday Newbie

Sometimes a feller just gets lucky. I pulled the grate off the bottom of the ski and reached up inside to check out the impeller and wear ring. All felt good, no scratches or nicks I could feel. Then I found my problem. About 25’ of ski rope was would tight against the prop shaft. HUD to cut some of it because it was so tight. The thing runs pretty good now. Takes a bit to get it going but once it planes out it’s not too bad and it’s easy to throw around. I weigh 250 so for a smaller person they would enjoy it much more than me.

Thread Information