Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

97 GTX Runs bad once warm

1997 GTX carbs have been rebuilt factory kit, top engine has been done, cold & warm compression good, new coil, spark plugs, rebuilt rave valves and water regulator, runs great when itís cold soon as it warms up 15 minutes Or so, itís starts bogged down backfiring, it feels like itís running on one cylinder, I swapped the carburetors off my other 97 GTX same problem, Iím thinking rectifier or Trigger Coil in the magneto. I canít get the problem to occur out of the water

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Re: 97 GTX Runs bad once warm

Voltage regulator is a good posibility disconnect the red wire and run it , if the issue goes away the regulator is bad , I have also seen a lot of bad head o-rings that were not sealing properly, this also only shows up when the ski is warm and it's a really cheap fix.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 10-17-2020 at 08:09 AM.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

PWCToday Newbie

Ill try that for sure! The unfortunate part is I got to put her back in the water to test her, I wish there was a way to simulate a load on the trailer? so the rectifier could be charging but still cause my issue?

Thanks

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

My understanding of the issue is that bad diodes in the rectifier allow AC voltage to bleed into the system, since the ignition system is DC this kills some of the voltage causing a misfire.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Frequent Poster

I chased similar issue on a 97 XP this past summer. Ran great until 10-15 min and it would surge at WOT and bog at times. My issue ended up being a weak exhaust hose. I had read about the hoses delaminating and mine was very squishy. When removed, it looked fine on the inside but i bought a used hose since I was going insane troubleshooting the thing. Used hose was much more stiff and the problem went away as soon as it was installed.

Not saying thats your issue, but something to check. I think someone had overheated my ski in the past which probably led to my issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    '89 Wellcraft Eclipse 21.5'
    '97 Seadoo GTI
    '98 Seadoo XP Limited
    '00 Seadoo XP

Thread Information