1990 550SX All original - Time to freshen it up. First service in 30 years. - Page 2
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PWCToday Newbie

Re: 1990 550SX All original - Time to freshen it up. First service in 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by E350 View Post
    Those allen head bolts are not factory.
    Well I don't know what to tell you. Maybe they used allen heads on the first skis that year. The history on the ski is Factory Kawasaki gave it away after the 11/89 race. Danny used it a few times and moved to Europe for 10 years. The ski sat in his fathers garage until I bought it maybe 10 years ago. I've been riding it since I bought it.

Learning Slowly...

PWCToday Newbie

I finally got around to doing a leak test. The front crank seal seems to be leaking. I put a 10 pound vacuum on it. It drops about a pound a minute down to 2-3 pounds after 10 minutes. When I remove the cap on the flywheel cover, the vacuum completely goes away (or is that normal?). I'll do one more test after I pull the motor. It's looking like a full rebuild. Thanks for the info for those that responded.

I wasted more time trying to make older and higher hours motors operate right than it takes to break it down change seals and gaskets and re tourque everything to spec.While your in there a top end kit,some mild porting and polishing and you’ll be surprised what the difference is.
    The newer carbs Like an sbn and a port match intake Wake it up as well.Check out what group k does with stock parts and a little labor.Perfect for over the winter where your not losing any ride time or cutting into your season.Im actually at a crossroads with one of my 550’s.Not sure if I want to build up what’s in there or I have a modded 650 motor pretty much ready to drop in and tune.What I’ve learned is there’s no shortcuts or off brand parts that will last.Better off spend the money the first time and do it by the book and you’ll be ripping wakes before you know it.
    89 Kawasaki 650sx-Coffman pipe,west coast waterbox,WC exhaust manifold dual cooled,Mariner head,mikuni Sbn44mm,jetsport intake,k&n arrestor,blowsion 4 degree bars,r&d intake grate,OP ride plate,hydro turf

83 550/650 WC pipe,supertrapp waterbox,mikuni bn44 WC ready carb,WC intake,WC head,jetinetics arrestor,blowsion 0 degree bars,odi lock one,Mariner ride plate,pjs intake grate,marble hydro turf

86 550
    92 waverunner 650

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information