Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Oil loss SeaDoo GTX Limited

I have a 2005 SeaDoo GTX Limited SCIC with 240 hours. I've had it out a couple times this year with no issues. I took it out last week, was out for 15 minutes at most and it shut it self off and flashed "oil" on the screen. I was pulled back to the launch, loaded it up and checked the oil just to find the dipstick bone dry (I did check it before going out and it was full). After talking to my local dealer, they mentioned rebuilding the supercharger (as we bought it used and are unsure how many hours were on the supercharger itself). We rebuilt the supercharger, ran it on the hose for not even a minute and the oil was almost off the dipstick again, filled it again and ran it for a minute or two the second time and it didn't go down, so I'm assuming it was just filling the system the first time. However, every time we ran it on the hose, there was oil in the water coming out of it. We shut the hose off then the ski, oil obviously stopped coming out. We shot the hose into the impeller area on the back of the ski and a bunch of oil ran out of it as we were shooting water into it. We pulled the plugs, they are a very light tan, so its not burning it and there is no water in the oil. Where could this oil be coming from?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: Oil loss SeaDoo GTX Limited

Well....the cooling water only cools the intercooler and exhaust, neither of which contain oil. So, unless it's been converted to open loop cooling, you have a serious issue, like bronen or stuck rings. Does one of the spark plugs look oil fouled?
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Well....the cooling water only cools the intercooler and exhaust, neither of which contain oil. So, unless it's been converted to open loop cooling, you have a serious issue, like bronen or stuck rings. Does one of the spark plugs look oil fouled?
    I pulled them right after i pulled it out of the water, there was one that was covered in oil (first cylinder I believe it was) otherwise they were like a tan color.

also, I’m doubtful it’s been converted, but how can I tell?
    Last edited by B.mcdonald; 09-25-2020 at 12:15 AM.

If it still has a coolant bottle with antifreeze in it......it has NOT been converted. With an oil soaked plug you might as well pull the engine. You COULD just pull the head for a look, but you can't fix the issue without pulling anyway.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Sorry, let me clarify, the oil was on the top part of the spark plug, where the hex is, but the bottom of the spark plug, where the electrode is is a light tan with no oil.

My compression test readings on a COLD motor are:

1st cylinder is 100
    2nd is 90
    3rd is 110
    Last edited by B.mcdonald; 09-28-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Pull the head. Sounds like it cracked.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

PWCToday Newbie

I'm not a mechanic, so I'm not sure, but wouldn't there be coolant in my oil if the head was cracked? Or am I not quite understanding how it works on these? Not trying to second guess you, I would just like to verify before putting all the money into it.

You can have a cracked head or a blown head gasket without getting coolant in the oil.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

Thread Information