Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Another 1100 STX DI "No Spark"

I just picked up a non-running 2000 1100 STX DI for cheap and now I better understand why. These things are complex and there is so much conflicting information out there on what the issue could be. I figured I'd post my specific situation here in hopes that others who may have seen similar issues may be able to help.

Core Issue: It Cranks, but has no spark on any cylinders

PO told me that he bought it non-running a few years ago and was told it just needed a new fuel pump. He replaced the fuel pump and no-go. He had the EMM repaired (not sure where) and still nothing. Was sure it was the stator that was bad, but he got tired of messing with it and sold it to me. Included in the sale was a replacement stator - used I believe, but resistances checked out per the service manual - and I swapped that out. Still no spark.

So I'm on to hunt down the next possible problem and could use any help/advice people have. I've spent the past few days testing electrical components and here's where I am at:

Stator Output Voltages (while cranking):
    1: 14.9
    2: 15.3
    3: 9.6
    4: 9.8
    5: 9.5

New stator seems healthy, passing both resistance and voltage output tests

CPS:
    Resistance: can't get a reading
    CPS Voltage (while cranking): 0.02v

It seems like my CPS is bad, but I'm not sure that's the core issue. Does anyone know that a bad (VERY low voltage output - should be 2.7v) CPS would prevent the ignition from sparking? Does a faulty CPS shut down the injection and ignition systems?

Thanks in advance for any insight. If anyone has suggestions on what to check next, I'd appreciate it. I'm planning on checking charging voltages out of the EMM next.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: Another 1100 STX DI "No Spark"

The crank sensor should read around 400 ohms. If it's open circuit, it's bad. If the emm does NOT see crank position it will not fire AND it won't power the injectors.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for the info. I have tested the CPS resistance multiple times and can't get any reading to show up at all on my multimeter. I've successfully tested the resistances of the stator coils, so I know I'm testing the CPS correctly. Also the very low voltage of the CPS when cranking points to it being completely toast.

I'll order a new CPS and go from there. You've got me hoping that my problem may be that simple, but I'm not gonna get too excited having read so many 1100 STX trouble threads.

PWCToday Newbie

CPS has been ordered. While waiting for it to arrive, I figured I'd work on setting up a KADIAG system to see if I could pull some helpful information from that. I downloaded the software from this post (http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=82469) and started working on gathering the parts to make my own cable using this post as my guide (http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=398119).

I do not have an old windows laptop with a serial port laying around, so I set up VirtualBox on my MacBook Pro to run Windows 98 on that machine. As my MBP doesn't have a serial port, I picked up a usb-to-serial adapter instead. Built my cable using the specs in the post and had to jump through a few hoops getting the usb adapter to register to the KODIAG software, but soon enough I was connected and reading info.

I was able to run all diagnostics, and had the following active error codes: 39, 52, 52, 53. Moving on to the static tests, I ran them all (injectors, ignition, & fuel pump) and got nothing for any of them.

Interestingly, I could not run any of the service utilities and got a "update software" error when trying any of these.

From some posts over at Greenhulk, I stumbled across the name of Darrin Weiss who runs Lakeside Tech, fixes EMM's, and contributes a lot to posts over there (maybe here too). A few posters were mentioning how Darrin has helped them troubleshoot whether or not they needed EMM repair. Between the crazy number of EMM repairs needed and the number of posts I've read about people sending them in only to find out that wasn't their issue, I figured I reach to Darrin to see if he could help me narrow down my issue and determine whether my EMM needed repair or not.

I emailed him directly (lakesidetech1@gmail.com) and asked him about my no spark issue and whether the CPS might be the culprit. He asked me to ground pin 40 on the 40 pin connector coming out of the EMM to see if that would power my fuel pump. It didn't.

Darrin confirmed that the injectors nor the ignition would fire if the EMM was not getting a signal from the CPS, but he said the injectors and ignition should still work during KADIAG diagnostics. He had me test the injector wiring connectors with KADIAG connected to see if I have 12v there. Apparently, I should have 12v on the common/positive wire and the EMM uses the ground wire to fire the injector. I connected my multimeter to the common wire of the injector connector and the negative lead to the - side of my battery. Nothing.

Still working on things, but I can't thank Darrin enough for his help. From what I've heard other say about him and the help he's provided me thus far, Darrin is the real deal in a world where no one wants to touch our DI skis. If you think you might need an EMM repair, hit him up.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

I have had 3 EMMs rebuilt by LakesideTech for customer machines. Top notch work.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

You most likely have a bad ignitor in the EMM. I just got done with a full rebuild on a ski just like yours. hopefully it is just the cps, but they dont have a high failure rate. also instead of dealing with that KADIAG, look into candoo pro it works for all newer Kawasaki's, and the 1100s.

PWCToday Newbie

After being told by Darren that the 45v bus on the KADIAG connector should have 12v applied to it, I checked my DIY cable. As I read the instructions (may be my mistake) The 3 position switch either puts 12v to the EMM (Stop/Diagnostic) mode or switched the 45v bus to be powered by the stator when running (something I can't currently accomplish with no spark. Darrin explained to me (and I have confirmed elsewhere) that the OEM KADIAg cable from Kawasaki has 12v running to BOTH the EMM AND through the 45v bus using a diode. See the image below for reference:

55f779be31c882e207e86545f9357f2f.jpg

Not having access to an OEM cable, but wanting to see what would happen if I got 12v into the 45v bus, I removed the switch on my cable and connected the 12v (R/W wire), the 45v (B/R wire), & the EMM Power (R/B wire) together via a wire nut, plugged it into the communicate port, and fired up KADIAG. Unfortunately, as soon as I turned the orange switch on, I blew my main 10A fuse with this setup.

At first I assumed that I did something that wasn't supposed to be done and poured back over the images, charts, related forum posts, and emails from Darrin to double check my wiring. After putting 12v into the 45v bus seemed right, I tried again with a new fuse and blew the fuse once again. I then searched the online forums for my fuse issue when connecting the KADIAG cable and found a post (can't seem to find it right now) where someone had the same issue and after replacing the EMM, and other expensive issues, figured out that one of his injectors was bad and it was shorting out the 45v side of things.

So I disconnected all 3 injector wiring connectors and tried my KADIAG cable again and did not blow the main fuse. Quickly I jumped into KADIAG static tests, threw my multimeter into the EMM side of the injector wiring connectors and tested the injectors. With each test, I saw the volts pulse up (I believe to around 1.5v) indicating that my EMM was properly firing the injectors during the tests. I then plugged each injector into the system one by one to see which one was bad and would blow the main fuse. Injector #2 was the culprit. so I keep that one disconnected and with injectors 1 & 3 reconnected, I reran the KADIAG injector tests - and they each clicked.

Now optimistic that my main issue was a bad (shorted) injector and not a bad EMM, I ran the ignition tests in KADIAG and confirmed that I had a spark (first time I had seen one on this machine) on all 3 spark plugs. So now to locate a used injector somewhere and figure out how to reprogram the EMM for that injector.

A summary of where I am at:
    - bad CPS (though this was most likely NOT why I had no spark)
    - bad fuel pump (fuel was left to sit in the tank for the past 4-5 years - it was nasty)
    - fuel sending unit is not currently working - I am going to try to clean it up and hope it will come back to life.
    - bad injector #2 - causing a short circuit in the 45v system and shutting everything else down.

PWCToday and the Greenhulk forums along with Darrin Weiss at Lakeside Tech have been instrumental in me getting this far and much closer to having this machine back up and running. I'm trying to document my process as much as I can here to make sure others who have similar issues with their 1100 stx can find answers.

Finally, does anyone have a good lead on a new fuel pump? New Unit from Kawasaki is like $550 and there are plenty of aftermarket pumps available online for much cheaper, but I've read about the aftermarket pumps drawing more amps (5A+) than the OEM did (around 2A) and the additional amperage draw causes heat problems with the EMM. Anyone replaced theirs fuel pump with an aftermarket pump? Any issues with EMM after install? I am also looking for an injector if anyone has one they'd like to sell to me.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    I have had 3 EMMs rebuilt by LakesideTech for customer machines. Top notch work.
    That's what I keep hearing. Haven't needed Darrin's EMM services (yet), but all I hear is that he knows what he is doing and he does great work!

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by saucy View Post
    You most likely have a bad ignitor in the EMM. I just got done with a full rebuild on a ski just like yours. hopefully it is just the cps, but they don't have a high failure rate. also instead of dealing with that KADIAG, look into candoo pro it works for all newer Kawasaki's, and the 1100s.
    That was my fear as well, but with the successful static tests on the remaining injectors and the spark plugs, I'm still holding out that my EMM may be fine. PO told me that is has been repaired recently and hasn't been run since.

I've seen CanDoo Pro and it looks super cool. Anything that uses modern tech/software would be preferable to the awful KADIAG software, but at $350 for the CanDoo setup vs $0 for the KADIAG one, I'm sticking with what I've got for now until I need to bite the bullet and get a better system. If I had more than one ski, it would be a no brainer. Thanks for the suggestion.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

I have a spare 1100 DI engine here, it was running when pulled, salt water boat and it had serious wiring harness issues, I should have a good injector on it if you need one.Honestly I was planning on converting this engine to carbs and replacng the pistons, head, stator and intake so I won't be needing the injectors.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information