Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Help! Carburetor re-jet on GSX Limited after Accelerator Pump Delete

Hi all, really need some help here.

I have a 98 Seadoo GSX Limited (purple/red, silver 951 motor) that I inherited. Whoever worked on it in the past sawed off the accelerator pump, and it has a 165 main jet with an 80 pilot jet. It also has Pro-K flame arrestors instead of the stock airbox. I'm in the process of rebuilding the carbs, and before this the boat was fouling plugs pretty quickly.

What would the correct jetting/needle/pop off be for a boat without the accelerator pump? And would it change much if I go back to the stock airbox instead of the Pro-Ks to avoid water ingestion and make cleaning easier?

PWCToday Regular

Re: Help! Carburetor re-jet on GSX Limited after Accelerator Pump Delete

I'd run the proks, and normally with proks and disabled accel pumps you would jet the lows to 95s with LS screws 1.5 turns out for sea level. Your 165 highs will work. Needles would be 2.0 with black 80g spring or 2.3 with 95g spring to be in the recommended 18-21psi range for the proks. Hth

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks so much! Definitely helps. I had ordered 90s for the lows before I got this info, think that'll be enough? I'm trying to figure out why it's fouling plugs so much too.

PWCToday Regular

Can you clarify about the accelerator pump being sawed off? Were the nozzles in the carbs just sawed off? Was the accelerator pump deleted/disabled? Is it fuel fouling or oil fouling? What's the compression?

PWCToday Regular

Is your seat lever bent or is the diaphragm holding the needle open possibly flooding the cylinders with fuel?

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by pwc enthusiast View Post
    Can you clarify about the accelerator pump being sawed off? Were the nozzles in the carbs just sawed off? Was the accelerator pump deleted/disabled? Is it fuel fouling or oil fouling? What's the compression?
    IMG_3737.jpg

Hopefully this helps. The metal is physically cut at the location of the red line in this photo, and the entire assembly circled in blue is completely gone. The line feeding the accelerator pump from the carb is capped off, but the nozzles used to squirt fuel into the throats of the carbs are still there, along with the small lines that connect them. The line that comes FROM the accelerator pump was cut and left hanging. Weird, I know...I had nothing to do with it, trust me.

As far as the plugs, I think they're more oil fouled than fuel fouled, but I'm not the best at reading plugs yet. Compression on both cylinders is even at 135 PSI

PWCToday Newbie

This was one of the plugs after less than 3 hours of run time since installation. Granted, this is before the carb rebuild/draining the fuel and oil tanks and everything.IMG_7677 2.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by RIWaveRunner View Post
    Thanks so much! Definitely helps. I had ordered 90s for the lows before I got this info, think that'll be enough? I'm trying to figure out why it's fouling plugs so much too.
    No they will not be enough, pwc enthusiast gave you solid jetting info. You should follow it. A few posts later you mention that you drained the oil tank it would be interesting to know what kind of oil was in there it may have been contributing to the fouled plugs. When you refill the tank with the appropriate oil be sure to prime the pump and lines per the manual. They are free for download here http://seadoomanuals.net/manuals/199...hop-manual.php. I use Amsoil Interceptor oil in all my Rec skis, But there are a lot of good oils to use, its just the closest for me.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro-Mike View Post
    No they will not be enough, pwc enthusiast gave you solid jetting info. You should follow it. A few posts later you mention that you drained the oil tank it would be interesting to know what kind of oil was in there it may have been contributing to the fouled plugs. When you refill the tank with the appropriate oil be sure to prime the pump and lines per the manual. They are free for download here http://seadoomanuals.net/manuals/199...hop-manual.php. I use Amsoil Interceptor oil in all my Rec skis, But there are a lot of good oils to use, its just the closest for me.
    Thanks man! I'm wondering that too honestly. When I drained the tank the oil was a very dark brown color, which from my understanding is much darker than how it should look

Thread Information