• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 98Yamaha1200
    PWCToday Newbie
    • Sep 2020

1998 Waverunner XL1200 wont start / "Volt" code

Hi,

New here, and new to owning any PWC let alone a Waverunner.

I recently picked up a 1998 Waverunner XL1200 with approximately 101 hours on it. I have taken it out a few times since and my third trip out, the machine started throwing a "volt" code. After riding for a bit, the code disappeared and didn't return. When I got home, I checked the battery and it was showing the correct voltage.

Today I took the ski out for a ride and the same "volt" code came up.

Now, since it had been a few weeks since that last ride, I had the battery on a charger and it was fully charged for the day.

So this code came up and the machine was struggling to start. I eventually got it going, let it idle and turned it off and back on and the code disappeared.

It ran fine for approximately 2 hours until I was heading back in. I was at full throttle which is generally around 55-60MPH and it was showing 39MPH. I could feel the ski slowing down and I let off the throttle and it died completely.

At this point, the same "volt" code came up.

I tried restarting the machine probably 5-8 times. It either barely sputtered, or didn't do anything at all.

I did try priming it as well probably another 10 times (again, new to this) and it did still have at least a quarter tank so gas was not the issue.

After the last try, I could smell a sort burnt or burning smell. I opened the main compartment and saw some white smoke coming from it.

I got towed back to the dock and haven't started or attempted to start it since.

I'm looking for some knowledge of what could be the issue, some suggestions of how to diagnose these problems and tips in general.

I further wasn't able to clear the water out of the ski after the ride and was wondering what that could effect also.

I have done some research and have noticed the possibility of the stator or rectifier being the cause of the issues. If someone could explain if these could be a cause, where these parts are, and how to diagnose if they are functioning correctly, I would really appreciate it. I have tried to look into the manual and am not having much luck.

Again, thank you very much.
  • Myself
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Jun 2006

Re: 1998 Waverunner XL1200 wont start / "Volt" code

Yep, stator or rectifier fried. The rectifier will be a small part with 2 green wires going to it inside the electrical box. You can also ohm out the stator while you have the box open. Stator is inside the front engine cover with the starter bendix.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Comment

• 98Yamaha1200
      PWCToday Newbie
      • Sep 2020

Originally posted by Myself View Post
      Yep, stator or rectifier fried. The rectifier will be a small part with 2 green wires going to it inside the electrical box. You can also ohm out the stator while you have the box open. Stator is inside the front engine cover with the starter bendix.
      Thank you for the info. I hate to ask, but where is the electrical box located. I can't seem to find any worthwhile material that shows locations for the parts I need to find...of course.

Also, any instructions on how to check the stator from the electrical box? I do have a multimeter which I can use to check it...once I find it. Again, new to this, all of this is GREATLY appreciated!!

Comment

• Myself
        PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
        • Jun 2006

Most electrical is in the rectangular black box bolted to the bulkhead just aft of the engine. You'll need to unbolt the 12mm bolts and pull it up over the engine. Then remove 100 #3 phillips from the backside to get into it. Yep.....pain in the butt!
        http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
        +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
        ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
        light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Comment

• 98Yamaha1200
          PWCToday Newbie
          • Sep 2020

Originally posted by Myself View Post
          Most electrical is in the rectangular black box bolted to the bulkhead just aft of the engine. You'll need to unbolt the 12mm bolts and pull it up over the engine. Then remove 100 #3 phillips from the backside to get into it. Yep.....pain in the butt!
          I doubled check the battery today. I was able to get it running beautifully after cleaning and gapping the spark plugs. It ran great for a short while, started RIGHT up and the battery was showing excellent voltage. I don't recall the exact numbers, but it was running great.

I did find one of the spark plugs with almost no gap....not sure what happened when they were installed. But I was told this could cause issues with the battery because I was basically down a spark plug and the others had to work even harder. Not sure if this was the main problem but it didn't help.

After having it going for a short bit on the hose I shut it off, and then it wouldn't start again.

I checked the plugs and one of the plugs was moist. Seems as though possibly the carb isn't doing too well. At the same time, I couldn't get any pressure with the manual primer (and that has never been an issue in the past).

Im honestly lost.

After cleaning the plugs, it started up right away, better than it ever has since I have owned it. Now nothing....and I double checked all the plugs have spark.

I was also told since the battery was doing so well that the rectifier or stator wont be the issue.

I honestly have no clue what to do next besides look into getting the carb out and cleaning it.

Comment

Working...
          X