Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pulled pump cone. Only water inside

Machine is a 01 gtx DI. I pulled the jet cone to change oil as part of end of season maintenance and just water came out no oil at all. Looks clean, no chunks of bearing etc.
    has anyone seen this? Maybe the last guy never changed oil, I bought this machine couple month ago and it drove perfect last time on the lake.Iíve got a new oring and the right oil, just not sure if this is something more serious like I need to rebuild the whole assembly?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Re: Pulled pump cone. Only water inside

At this point you need to reinstall the cone screw a fitting into the cone and do a leakdown test on the pump, it should hold 10 psi for 10 minutes, if not the fron seal or the rear o-ring are bad, you should replace the trear o-ring every time you take the cone off and the front seal as needed.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

And this is why it's recommended to change it yearly. It's not that the lube goes bad, you just need to know if it's OK.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Okay thank you.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Cliff's Avatar

I agree with the given advice for sure!

A pinched o-ring when reinstalling the pump‘s oil cone will cause the leak down test to also fail and cause the oil to be washed out under the high water pressure produced from the jet pump.

Be certain to do the leak down test after reinstalling everything.
    What would Chuck Norris do?

Would you recommend just putting a bit of oil on the oring when reinstalling cone or should locktite be used like I’ve read? Seems strange puttting locktite on an o ring.

Resident Guru

There's whole family of sealing and thread locking products marketed under the name "LOCTITE". And the numbers change from country to country.

If I remember correctly (and it's been a long while), the groove in the cone seemed kind of broad for the OEM o-ring. I might have used two o-rings side-by-side for insured sealing, but in any case, I wiped a small coating of RTV silicone sealer when it all went back together, for a little insurance. There is also o-ring grease available, and this has a slight swelling quality to it. Covers for life's imperfections. On the plug, don't use anything silicone or teflon tape, too slippery. You'll run the plug in too far and crack the cone. An old school paste sealer works best here, and BE GENTLE with the plug.

Did you notice the color of the water that came out, clear or rusty? That was your only clue as to where you stand with things. Next spring, before rotating anything, remove the driveshaft guard and with spark plugs out, try and turn the coupler by hand, engine and driveline should turn smoothly.

The water was clear, very clean looking so hadn’t been sitting in there long. The machine was being used few times Throughout the summer, apparently using water as a lubricant��

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

I would fully disassemble, and inspect. On occasion I have seen there is enough oil coating the bearings tat they do not rust, and are fine.

As said, leak down test upon assembly is very important. We see this all the time here, and typically it is a pinched o-ring on the rear cap. If you do this before you take the pump apart, you will know if the front seal is bad or not. If is is I would just rebuild the whole thing any way.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

I always smear waterproof grease around the o'ring and front seal, never had issues.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information