User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Need help with winterizing GTX DI

Hello everyone, in need of some advice, Iím in Ontario Canada and itís time to put the missile away for the season(2001 gtx 951 di) whatís the easiest way to run antifreeze through the motor so I donít get any cracked cylinders, exhaust, etc. ?
    can I just pour some through the threaded flush port near the jet pump or do I need to disconnect a hose and get it through top of cylinders? I see thereís a quick connect 3/8 line coming from bottom of motor, should I disconnect that as well for water draining? Any help appreciated.

Resident Guru

Re: Need help with winterizing GTX DI

Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
    Can I just pour some through the threaded flush port near the jet pump
    Answer: No.

Gravity winterization of this machine is a real pain, there are several cooling system branches that need adequate protection. Best bet is to shop around for a small water pump. I like those used in campers for domestic water supply (from the on-board tank). These will self-prime and produce sufficient volume to inject marine anti-freeze right into the main line from the jet pump, this following normal cooling water flow. They hook right up to the battery. I also like to shop-vac the water box first, and each outlet port to get out a good amount of trapped water. Small nozzle kits available at home improvement stores provide several choices in small tubes and work great for reaching the transom ports. In this way, the marine anti-freeze suffers the least dilution.

Be sure you understand the anti-freeze product you are using by READING THE LABEL CAREFULLY. The large labelled temperature emblazoned on the front, may not be quite what you expect.

And be sure your family pet(s) are not able to get to where you've spilled stuff on the ground.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

You can add antifreeze right at the flush port at the rear.

I screw a short (18" or so) hose here, and first blow with the air compressor while the ski is running to get as much water out as possible. (While also blipping the throttle.)

I then run 2 gals of marine/RV pink antifreeze through. I have a modified an old fire extinguisher, that I can fill with 2 gals of antifreeze, pressurize, and then blow through the cooling system. I have heard of people using pumps, like rdjeep mentions, garden sprayers, etc. Thing is you want to do this under pressure, to blow water out, leaving antifreeze behind. I agree on doing your homework and make sure to get quality, lowest rating antifreeze. Ours is good for 50 below zero.

We are in WI, and I have been doing it this way for 25+ years.
    Last edited by john zigler; 09-20-2020 at 09:21 AM.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

Thanks guys for the help. Much appreciated.

Resident Guru

One additional thought... you may need to pinch-off some of the exiting hoses to limit draining and completely fill the cooling system, as noted by the pisser doing its thing.

I had a solid stream of antifreeze coming from the pisser at the back. Does that mean it filled the system?

Resident Guru

Well, maybe. You need to watch all of the exit ports to be sure they are running the color of your product. This ensures each branch has been purged of plain water. The branch to the magneto cavity/crankcase exchanger may have a pokey water flow, and is the hardest area to purge.

"The book" calls for adding 8 oz of anti-freeze separately to the water box via the regulator. They don't define "anti-freeze" exactly. In thinking through this, I may accept this quantity IF its an ethylene glycol based product, but not camper/marine stuff. The latter is not meant to be diluted.

Fogging the internals are important, too. The insides of the engine are exposed to the moisture within the exhaust system all winter, as the pistons never close off the exhaust ports completely.
    Last edited by rdjeep; 09-21-2020 at 09:48 PM.

Thread Information