Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

My first ski / JS550 with a hole in the hull and no spark

So I just bought this 1988 Kawasaki JS550 (my first ski) today. 120/120 compression, rebuilt carb, Ocean Pro ride plate, Tsunami bilge pump. Other than that all stock. I bring it home and crank it over and no spark. So at this point I am not sure where to start. I pulled off the cover of the ebox that houses the wires from the flywheel area (round cover with 2 bolts on ebox) and found some white corrosion gunk. The stator and flywheel area look clean from the access plug so I don't think moisture ran down the wires into that area. I would have to imagine that the lack of spark would be from the ebox somewhere. But It very well could be the stator or exciter coil. So I am stuck there. Don't want to have to tear off more than I have to...
    Then I search around the hull some more and find a pleasant surprise.IMG_2965.JPG
    A nice little hole in the bottom of the rear crown in the hull (p.o really must've needed that bilge)
    I have no idea how to fix fiberglass or what I should do for that hole.

Any feedback on either the electrical or the hole problem would be really appreciated.
    Thanks guys.

PWCToday Newbie

Re: My first ski / JS550 with a hole in the hull and no spark

The good news on the hole is that it is located on the hull extension and not the hull itself. Drain any water out of there and fill the hole with your favorite epoxy.

On the spark issue, there is a procedure in the service manual for ohming out the coils under the flywheel and the cdi box. I attached photos of the pages from the manual. One of those two things is probably bad. Good luck and let us know what you find.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Frequent Poster

I have a titled js550 hull. Not sure where you are located but I’m in Ohio

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks Daren but I am up in Minnesota so probably not, I appreciate the help though!

PWCToday Newbie

Thank you Brad for the detailed response. I am glad that the hole is not in the actual hull cavity if that is an extension. So I just fill it with hole with epoxy or do I lay a small piece of mesh behind it?
    I will ohm test the equipment. There aren't any stupid simple things I am missing right? The start/stop button assembly seems fine and nothing is sticking. The battery is literally brand new. Cranks over super strong. The only thing that looks fishy is the corrosion in the Ebox. I can't imagine it would be just plugs because these look pretty decent, although they have been sitting about two years. But I don't feel like that should be causing both to be completely dead.

PWCToday Newbie

That hole doesn’t look too big so I think epoxy will be fine. Just something to stop water from getting in. But even if it does, it only fills up that small section so it’s really not a big deal. Maybe a cup or two of water max.

How are you checking for spark? I assume your stop button is stock and doesn’t have a spot for a lanyard. Am I right?

PWCToday Newbie

Brad,
    Yeah I am not even worried about that anymore. Thanks for enlightening me on the hull end caps I was not even aware of that.
    At this point I have not narrowed it down at all really... I know it isn't the plugs. I am going to test the stator/igniter wires as you suggested.

PWCToday Newbie

I found my electrical problem... the ebox had about a quarter inch of rusty water in it and the insides are corroded. Any suggestions? Can you rebuild these or are they a full replace?

Put these on. Watch the video and be gentle!

https://prowatercraftracing.com/prod...ll-extensions/
    Learning Slowly...

PWCToday Newbie

The boxes are re-buildable. Depends on how bad the corrosion is. Also need to check the individual components. Some may be good, some may be bad. But usually after a bit of Sandblasting the boxes are reusable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information