Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

1995 Wave Venture 700 guidance

Hi all, I recently purchased a '95 Wave venture 700 and it ran just fine for a few days but all the sudden started running slower. I can feel the engine pulls great and seems to hit some rpm limit and then drops to some lower rpm. After this started to happen it when I went to take the ski out of the water I hit a wake that put me in the air some and the ski died, it immediately started right back up but was weird so I babied it to the ramp. In reading the forums I am going to start with rebuilding the carbs and checking the exhaust system for any sand or debris but I am curious if I am on the right path or should I also be looking at other things? My plan is:

1. Rebuild the Carbs - plan to check pop off pressure as well
    2. Replace Spark plugs
    3. Check exhaust
    4. Replace fuel filter
    5. *optional* install block off plate and go to premix 40:1 *any cons to doing this*

Would you say I am on the right track? Also has anyone ever purchased the haynes online manual for this ski and is worth it if so? Appreciate any advice!

Side note the ski has roughly 140hrs original on it (previous owner hardly drove it) and I was told when I purchased it that the owner had a mechanic clean the carbs with an ultrasonic cleaner (not sure if he did a full rebuild at that time).
    Last edited by txaggie07; 09-18-2020 at 01:16 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Re: 1995 Wave Venture 700 guidance

You are on the right path, sounds like your machine is overdue for a tune up, and some maintenance.

Make sure you use genuine Mikuni brand carb kits, and needle and seats. DO NOT use the needle arm springs in the kits, re-use your original springs when rebuilding the carbs.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday Newbie

Hey John thanks for the reply - could you share why not to use the spring and arm? I glad you told me or I would have. I plan on starting the rebuild this weekend. I plan on draining the fuel and oil to put the block off plate and convert to pre mix. Do I need to concerned with there being no gas/oil in the lines when I try and start it back up or should I do something to prime the lines? Again appreciate all the help!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Remove your spark plugs and show us pics of them so we can see how it's burning.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Burn color looks really good. Are you sure it's running issues and not jet pump bearings crapping?

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by txaggie07 View Post
    Hey John thanks for the reply - could you share why not to use the spring and arm? I glad you told me or I would have. I plan on starting the rebuild this weekend. I plan on draining the fuel and oil to put the block off plate and convert to pre mix. Do I need to concerned with there being no gas/oil in the lines when I try and start it back up or should I do something to prime the lines? Again appreciate all the help!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Springs come in different spring rates, and will affect the tune of your carb / pop off. Going by memory I believe your stock springs are 95 gram. The kits come with 65 gram, and 115 gram. Just re-use your original springs, and you will be fine.

You can replace the needle arm, and pivot rod.

Fuel lines, filter, etc should prime them selves after your rebuild. I leave the flame arrestor off, and put my hands over the carb tops to fully choke.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Burn color looks really good. Are you sure it's running issues and not jet pump bearings crapping?

What should I look for to diagnose this? should I hold off on the carb rebuild then?

Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    Springs come in different spring rates, and will affect the tune of your carb / pop off. Going by memory I believe your stock springs are 95 gram. The kits come with 65 gram, and 115 gram. Just re-use your original springs, and you will be fine.

You can replace the needle arm, and pivot rod.

Fuel lines, filter, etc should prime them selves after your rebuild. I leave the flame arrestor off, and put my hands over the carb tops to fully choke.
    Great info John I appreciate it. I will make sure to reuse the existing springs.

Look in the rear of the jet pump. Is there an 1/8" clearance around the impeller or 1/32"? You can also remove the rear reduction and steering nozzles, then remove the cone in the rear of the pump. There are sealed bearings in there. If any water comes out, especially rusty colored, you'll be pulling the pump for an overhaul.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Look in the rear of the jet pump. Is there an 1/8" clearance around the impeller or 1/32"? You can also remove the rear reduction and steering nozzles, then remove the cone in the rear of the pump. There are sealed bearings in there. If any water comes out, especially rusty colored, you'll be pulling the pump for an overhaul.

Assuming I am looking at it correctly I am seeing closer to 1/32" clearance - I haven't seen any water come out and wont be able to pull it apart as you suggested for a few days (we are getting rains here in south texas from the hurricane) but I did notice there was a small rock lodged in the water valve (if I am reading the diagram correctly) this would make me think I might have some sand or something somewhere. Should I pull that valve out and clean after dislodging that rock?

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 11.14.58 AM.png

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information