Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

My gas soaked fuel sending unit fix

So I found out my fuel sending unit floats on my 98 1100 STX were gas saturated. They'd float in water but not in gas. So I racked my brains trying to figure out how to get them to float again and what material to use that was buoyant and fuel safe. I came up with 1/4" tygon fuel line with a straight 1/4" connector connecting them. I used a fuel safe sealant on the 1/4" connectors connecting the fuel line together. I'm thinking this should hold up pretty well and cost under $15 total. Hopefully this might help someone else out.
    IMG_4328.jpgIMG_4350.jpg

PWCToday Newbie

Re: My gas soaked fuel sending unit fix

Cool fix. How is it working? How did you secure the fuel line to the floats? I see the zip ties on top and bottom, but can't see how they are securing the line.

My fuel sender isn't sending a signal at all - gonna remove the clips, clean it up and see if I can get a signal going again. Haven't got to whether my floats actually float or not yet, but will reference this if they aren't. Thanks for sharing.

PWCToday Newbie

Actually I should probably remove this post. My floats still sink in gasoline. I thought this was a clever fix, but it ended up being a clever fail. I ended up just zip tieing my bottom float up for now so that it doesn't blink empty.

PWCToday Newbie

Any idea why they sunk? Did the new lines fill with fuel or was the float with new lines still not buoyant enough?

PWCToday Newbie

The fuel lines did not fill. Just not buoyant enough I guess. These floated in water perfectly before modifying but sank like a rock in fuel. I'd never seen anything like it before. Live and learn.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Dalbery View Post
    The fuel lines did not fill. Just not buoyant enough I guess. These floated in water perfectly before modifying but sank like a rock in fuel. I'd never seen anything like it before. Live and learn.
    Interesting. I just tried floating mine in a gallon jug of isopropyl alcohol both to test float and to clean out some of the bad fuel residue. They all float, but no change on the fuel level when it's connected. No resistance change on the multimeter when raising or lowering the sending unit in alcohol either - steady 7.81 ohms up and down. Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to fix this one.

Anyone have a sending unit that registers resistance but has bad floats, maybe I can hack one together of two bad units.

What's the technology in play here? Does the sensor respond resistively--like a car fuel float/arm that moves a finger along a resistive track?
    Are the floats magnetic and close reed switches mounted inside the tube they slide on?
    96 & 97 1100Zxi

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by guy48065 View Post
    What's the technology in play here? Does the sensor respond resistively--like a car fuel float/arm that moves a finger along a resistive track?
    Are the floats magnetic and close reed switches mounted inside the tube they slide on?
    I can't speak to the internals bc I haven't opened it up yet, but here's what I know:

- copper shaft
    - 4 floats (each representing a separate tank level - empty-1/4, 1/4-1/2, 1/2-3/4, 3/4-full)
    - floats each have a ring magnet embedded in top
    - resistance when empty (all floats down) - around 8ohms
    - resistance when full (all floats up) - near 0 ohms
    - resistance decreases as each float "floats"

common problems with these units:
    - resistance doesn't change when floats are moved (ie. always at 8ohms) - this is how mine is
    - resistances change, but floats are saturated with fuel and no longer float when fuel levels raise

Reviving this thread...
    I ran across a post in another forum where someone with saturated floats put the assembly in an electric oven at 200 for an hour and that dried the floats out to fix the problem .

Has anyone else ever heard of this fix?
    Last edited by guy48065; 08-20-2021 at 02:03 PM.
    96 & 97 1100Zxi

Thread Information