Is it still feasible to restore older 2-stroke Seadoo?
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Is it still feasible to restore older 2-stroke Seadoo?

I see a lot of posts here and videos on youtube about restoring older 2-strokes. I have always wanted to restore project but a little afraid to get in over my head. I came across 2 very nice 1999 GTX limited machines that cosmetically looked awesome. The guy said the mechanic said 1 needs a new engine and it just stopped running. The other still runs but has 179 hours so it most likely needs a rebuild soon. They come with double trailer. Is $3500 too much? If so what would be good price. What should I budget for rebuild cost? For the one running could I get away with top end rebuild only? It appears the Nada value is around $2000 for each machine

I also see a lot of 2-stroke machines for sale in my area.

Frequent Poster

Re: Is it still feasible to restore older 2-stroke Seadoo?

IMO it's only worth it if you can do all the work yourself and you enjoy doing it. These machines will need a complete restore of the engine, carbs, fuel tank and all fuel lines.
    You will need new crankshaft and new pistons plus the cylinders will need resizing. (for each machine) And then after all that, you will need to rebuild each jet pump. If you try to cut corners you will have problems and then
    it will become the opposite of enjoyment.

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks. Do most rebuilds require full rebuild? These skis are really clean and both around 180 hours. I guess a rebuilt engine would be minimum 2000. Not really worth it. How many hours can you expect on a 2 stroke?
    Last edited by gpounders; 09-08-2020 at 10:27 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Spim's Avatar

3500 seems right for two running skis that are well maintained.

Certainly not for one dead one and one runner.

Sounds to me like that's the primary issue.
    The problem with normal is that it just keeps getting worse...

I would rather sit than quit...

PWCToday Newbie

@Spim you are correct. The question is what is good price for a nice double trailer plus 1 working ski with 179 hours. I figure the trailer is worth 1500 by itself. Then the question is the ski worth 2000? How much more life could I expect from the working ski? I would likely sell the broken ski. Could I expect to sell a ski with bad engine for 500, someone who wants to DIY? That would offset the cost of the working ski. I already have a 2009 wake so this would be an extra for me and I could use it until it needs a rebuild then sell it also. I figure the cost of a ski for a season is at least $1000 as a ski depreciates. It if lasted 2 seasons I might break even

Kansas City, Missouri... cuz when the icecaps melt, my house becomes ocean-front property...bytches.

I second the comments about DIY. Unless you are doing the work yourself, they will turn into money pits.

You could rebuild the engines yourself, but you would still need to either A. Send your existing crank out to be rebuilt or B. Buy one from SBT ready to go. Not to mention, you will need to find a machine shop that will bore and hone your cylinders for you.

Given the stated conditions $3500 isn't completely unreasonable. Though it is on the high side for the current economic climate and depending on your location. If it were me, I would try for as low as $2000. It's a lowball offer, but you don't know how much longer the running ski will last given that you dont know how well it has been maintained. If the seller balks at $2k, I dont think I would give more than $2800.

Just remember, you'll probably drop at least $1000 in parts and labor for just one engine.

I dont know about anyone else, but it's a labor of love to keep my skis going. Now that I've worked out all the kinks, they perform well every season for me.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."

-Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Rides: 2 x 96XP // 99XPL // 02RX Currently rebuilding
    I love my CanDooPro! Take that stealerships!! www.candoopro.com

PWCToday Newbie

I was thinking about offering $2,500 and maximum $2,750. They are both really nice condition. Garage kept.
    IMG_1064.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Spim's Avatar

2500/2750 seems reasonable enough but its a bit of a gamble, I tend to agree with spit and dirt that 2K is a decent offer.

500 seems on the high side for a non running ski with no trailer.

that's just an opinion, not sure what the market is in houston.
    The problem with normal is that it just keeps getting worse...

I would rather sit than quit...

PWCToday Newbie

@spim Thanks. It is tuff to figure out a fair price for the non running ski. Cosmetically and and inside the hull they look fantastic. Well maintained over the years. If someone really wanted a project that would be the ultimate starting point if they rebuilt the engine.

What is the engine size in the GTX Limited for 1999?
    Last edited by gpounders; 09-11-2020 at 01:58 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

They are very clean. But, $2200 is MAX. The 951 engine goes around 150 hours before needing a top end, so.....the running one needs that right now to avoid any catastrophic damage. Then it will go another 150 before the crank gets loose and it's time for a complete overhaul. Many times when they get ridden until they blow, it knocks holes in the cases. We don't know how bad the blown engine is. If it's any more than $2200, walk away.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information